Anchors in No. Van. Is.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Went camping at Sointula BC near Port McNeil.

!. Yes Mark there's fish boats everywhere w Claw anchors.

2. This is a 100% fabricated locally imitation Northill. I've often thought putting the braces for the stock on the shank side of the stock to but the brace in tension as it would be stronger .. or could be made lighter. But one would probably weaken the shank from heat.

3. Two serious anchors. A heavy Navy anchor. Truly massive. Note the unusually wide throat angle that is typical of these anchors.

4. Not often we see the basement of the the Excellent Spade anchor. Especially interesting is that from this vantage point the anchor looks much like the stern of a boat. I see the trip line shackle but what is what looks like a pin at the bottom of the "keel".

5. AhHa I've finally found a Rocna on a fish boat. The double plating on the fwd end of the fluke must provide considerable ballast.

6. A very nice boat and judging from the cuttwater was once in the timber/lumber industry.

7. Another very rusty chain but a good Northill anchor sporting all her own original parts.

8. A rather large boat w a bulbus bow and the biggest Dreadnought anchor i"ve seen. Another good Northill.

9. This is Mitchell Bay on the SW end of Malcolm Is. Malcolm Is is only 14 miles long and in the western center of the island is Solintula.

10. Always like to see the red traditionally painted railings on all BC docks. Funds went south so most are not regularly painter. Wife Chris on the left.

Attachments

• DSCF2746.jpg
    DSCF2746.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2748.jpg
    DSCF2748.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF2749.jpg
    DSCF2749.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF2750.jpg
    DSCF2750.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF2754.jpg
    DSCF2754.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF2751.jpg
    DSCF2751.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF2752.jpg
    DSCF2752.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF2753.jpg
    DSCF2753.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF2760.jpg
    DSCF2760.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF2768.jpg
    DSCF2768.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 71
The pin on the bottom of a Spade holds the shank in (the shank is removable). The design is such that the pin is simply a safety, angles etc. drive the shank into the blade when in use.

But Eric, did you frequent the Burger Barn at Sointula? The best burgers in that region.

DDW,
Good call I was hoping someone would belly up .. thanks.

Ken,
I didn’t. It was closed.
We ate mostly at “Orca Joes”. Excellent

Honestly, Fishing boat don't anchor that frequently or for any length of time. I would only trust that they put on the least expensive thing that they believe will hold their boat reasonably well.

Yes, they do anchor and during some bad weather, but most frequently with someone on anchor watch.

I would look to long term/long distance cruisers that anchor almost everynight. You won't find these old relics on those boats.

Shrew,
That’s true but it varies tremendously by what they are fishing for and what gear they use. Gillnetters rarely anchor but trollers may anchor every night for a month at a time. And a lot of combo boats (troll & gillnet) gotta have the ground tackle anyway.

In SWSE Ak they worship the Forfjord and all want one. But there’s a very good chance the Claws are better anchors than a Forfjord. See Steve’s Anchor Setting Vids. He did test (to some degree) the Forfjord. But as Mark says many fishermen do use the Claws. And if you tally up all the plus features of the Claw it’s not surprising the majority of rec trawlers use them too. I’ve had good luck w them but never used one in a gale.

But re your comment Shrew the fishermen that use the Dreadnought say “they hold in 50 knot summer gales but drag some in 60 knot winter gales”. And in Alaska trollers frequently raft together in favorite anchorages. And one or more sailboats can make their day .. in a negative way.

Thanks for the comments. I wasn’t expecting many/any except on the anchors. Kinda posting like in a family snapshot mode. But I’ll always talk about anchors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom