Old 07-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #37
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
The problem is this isn't the 20 year old technology of ECU's. The shift is to networked, 'secured' systems. On agricultural equipment and some cars and trucks the sensors and various components all have unique serial numbers and are networked with CAN bus. The newer ECUs that are built this way are being setup to only allow acceptance of new parts by an authorized user and the parts have to be accepted by the system with proprietary software. The battle has been over this software and whether a user has the right to repair their own equipment or not.

You can physically change out a part but the computer will refuse to use it until it gets authorized to do so. If that tech moves over to marine engines it may simply mean that you will have to have service done by an authorized technician.
Yes, I'm aware of what you're saying. It's been going on in the car industry for a number of years. Own a BMW and want to change the battery? You will have to get it recognized by the internal computer.

My point was that these units on a whole are very reliable. Sure, there are going to be some things you can't repair yourself and will have to go to the dealer. It's always been that way. I don't have the expertise to rebuild an injection pump. I'm likely going to someone to get a new one or have mine rebuilt. I guess a lot of this speaks to having a good relationship with your dealer.

I'm pretty sure JD charges their dealers for software. If I were JD, I would offer the consumer the option to buy the software for their specific make, model, and serial numerbered unit. Sell them the PC interface also. If they want to purchase the next upgraded version, sell them that also. Lots of money to be made selling software.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote