Suwannee River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandallM

Vessel Make
Sea Fox Voyager 256
I am thinking about making a trip up the Suwannee River in Florida. Anyone done this? Anyone know where I can get information about the river?

Thanks
Randall

s

We did live down there a few years back. I had thoughts of bringing a boat up the river to store it close to the house. One big problem came up. About 40 miles up the river there is a large fixed bridge that only has a 8' opening.

I made the trip about 50 years ago with my parents on a trailerable Regal Line Lancer but only remember diving on what was advertised to be the remains of a Confederate scuttle. It was over a spring which fed into the Suwanee. We launched somewhere around Fanning Springs. Kind of the forgotten part of Florida.

We went up the river last year in out Prairie 29, 3’ draft. Old Florida, great trip. We went up river about 30 nautical miles, stopping at the Manatee Springs State Park then anchoring close to Fanning Springs. We pulled over to the side of the river dropped the hook and never saw another boat until daybreak when a small fishing boat sped by. It was very peaceful and we saw only one other Trawler, which looked like it had been their a while. Small fishing boats and an occasional pontoon boat came by. Their were times when you could imagine indigenous inhabitants rowing their canoes near the banks of the river some 10,000 years ago. Do not miss the trip if you are in the area.

What kind of depths did you see heading that far upriver? I was curious if my boat that draws 4 feet could make it up that far?

Four foot should not be a problem. You have to carefully enter the river from the gulf. That is the shallowest part. Check with Gateway marina for the latest on getting in the river. They were very helpful with information about the river. If you go into the Gateway Marina the air draft could cause problems as the trees made the entrance narrow. There are several sweeping bends in the Suwannee river that build up shoals on the inside of the turn so stay to the outside of the bends in the river. I saw mostly 10 to 30 foot depths.
I will post some photos.
IMG_0076.JPG

Last edited:
The is also a solid reef at the entrance. 2-3' at low tide.

Watch your air draft
0409ACB3-949C-4D56-9B5B-0FA347089E9B.jpg

Watch out for this guy too
E8F17E4D-E643-457B-BE10-F77245495110.jpg

Moon over the Suwannee River
5BB72702-9FE5-4226-8C6C-E39719CD9FB4.jpeg

Wow, pics look awesome. Gonna have to plan a trip up there soon. I think we would have a great time!

If you are further up the Gulf region you can explore the Pascagoula River no low bridges , plenty of depth for miles. Great views and gunkholes.

I want to do the Pascagula also. Drove all through there, now this time with the boat. Any info is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom