Original boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
I submit that boat names range from the sublime to the repugnant, weighted somewhat below the mean, and originality is scarce (all my TF colleagues are exempted from this rant, of course)...i mean how many Tooth Ferry does the world need. And dont get me started about Wet Dream!

But, today in Grappler Inlet, I saw a sportfisherman named Cape Able . Pretty good, but even better if you know that the Canadian CG 47' surf boats are named Cape xxxxx.

Attachments

• 20190730_124948.jpg
    20190730_124948.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
A lot of US Military Sealift Command ships are called Cape XXXX. I always kinda liked that idea.

I've been thinking a lot about boat names lately. Mine's called Sylphide (pronounced sill-feed), which is apparently a famous french ballet. I guess a Sylph is some sort of mythical air pixie or fairy or something. Part of me wants to keep the name, since she's had it since she was launched, but it doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

......and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Take it from someone who has to explain their boat name alot. It gets tiring.

I wouldn't share the definition of "mythical air pixie or fairy" with my coworkers, that's for sure.

I can’t even imagine what it would sound like from an Alabama tug skipper.
Sulfur Hide???. Lol

A lot of US Military Sealift Command ships are called Cape XXXX. I always kinda liked that idea.

I've been thinking a lot about boat names lately. Mine's called Sylphide (pronounced sill-feed), which is apparently a famous french ballet. I guess a Sylph is some sort of mythical air pixie or fairy or something. Part of me wants to keep the name, since she's had it since she was launched, but it doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Yes, that name would have to go. Make it something you like. I don’t subscribe to the no changing the name idea. We have changed names on many of our boats without any dire consequences.

Agree. Mental D Fish & Sea blew the engine before we changed the name.

Wifey B: Simplicity and looks like it sounds. Far more important than style or flavor. :)

That's not bad.... my only caution is that you're name consists of six syllables (which is quite a lot), then if you add "MV" in front of it, you're up to eight syllables to frequently be reciting on the radio...
I had a training captain once tell me; whatever you pick, be prepared to do the alpha conversion of it for the coast guard on the radio. i.e. for you; "Alpha, Lima, Uniform, Mike, ............." ;)

When I named my little center console fishing boat “Get.Net” I thought people would think it clever. Not a chance!
Hint: say it fast

I only occasionally get to explain Seeadler. Unfortunately it is usually to someone who thinks I have attempted some bizarre wordplay with "Seattle." Really.

We came back to Gig Harbor today and found that our dock neighbors have put a name on their new Selene 50 Europa, Trillium.

I really like that name. The Pacific Trillium (Trillium Ovatum) is found in the mountains of PNW and is a white flower that can be found under the canopy of our forests. It is a favorite among folks who like to spend time walking in woods. Unfortunately, it is not as common as it used to be.

Our dock neighbors (in their early 70s I believe) named their new boat after the flower they enjoyed while walking through the forests when they were young.

1. Unique; I don’t recall seeing a boat named Trillium before.
2. Easy to say and easy to hear.
3. Easy to pronounce when read, even if someone has never heard of the flower.
4. The name has significance to the owner.
5. Looks great on the stern of the absolutely gorgeous Selene.

Last edited:
Ollie is Great ????
Homeland Security, USCG, and a bunch of other govt authorities might pull you over many many times.

Last edited:
I wouldn't share the definition of "mythical air pixie or fairy" with my coworkers, that's for sure.

Lol, exactly. It's like coming out of the closet all over again.

Take it from someone who has to explain their boat name a lot. It gets tiring.

I believe it. The boat isn't even officially mine yet, and I'm tired of explaining it. I told my sister what it meant and she said something like 'GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!' lolol

"Get us outta here, Chewie!!"

:thumb:

Agree. Mental D Fish & Sea blew the engine before we changed the name.

Oh crikey, I had to say that one out loud a few times before I got the 'joke' and I'm sorry I did. That's terrible! hahaha

That's not bad.... my only caution is that you're name consists of six syllables (which is quite a lot), then if you add "MV" in front of it, you're up to eight syllables to frequently be reciting on the radio...
I had a training captain once tell me; whatever you pick, be prepared to do the alpha conversion of it for the coast guard on the radio. i.e. for you; "Alpha, Lima, Uniform, Mike, ............." ;)

Yeah, it is a bit of a mouthful. I figured I could just shorten it to 'Falcon' for more casual conversations. Some Lakers have long names Like the tug 'Joyce L. VanEnkevort' with her barge 'Great Lakes Trader' or the 'Honorable James L. Oberstar.' They usually get shortened to just 'Joyce,' or 'Oberstar' on the radio.

I'm not quite sold on it, but I do like that it's fun and lighthearted without being too cute or punny, which I find obnoxious. People seem to like it.

Last edited:
Our boat has been Badger since the first owner. Small, scrappy & tough, so it's stuck.

Focal Point comes into Kitimat once in a while, which as a photographer, I like. Nodal point would be another good one. Large format photographers would get a kick out of Scheimpflug, but it would suck having to spell it out all the time.

I've walked docks all over the eastern coast, some of the west, Canada-- One is seared into my memory from St. Augustine. It was on a 30 something express cruiser/weekend warrior. The name was "Wide Open Boating", and next to the name was a silhouette similar to the "mud flap girl" ubiquitous on truck mudflaps. Like this.... without the text. Now I'm no prude, but my first thought was what explanation follows when the 5 yr old quizzes dad about that image on the boat. It was hard to miss.

That one takes the prize for the hands-down-all-time-winner for "most tasteless boat name". You thought "For Play" was bad...

We came back to Gig Harbor today and found that our dock neighbors have put a name on their new Selene 50 Europa, Trillium.

I really like that name. The Pacific Trillium (Trillium Ovatum) is found in the mountains of PNW and is a white flower that can be found under the canopy of our forests. It is a favorite among folks who like to spend time walking in woods. Unfortunately, it is not as common as it used to be.

Our dock neighbors (in their early 70s I believe) named their new boat after the flower they enjoyed while walking through the forests when they were young.

There's a winery on the Key Peninsula, Gig Harbor called Trillium.

I like just "Falcon." It's a great name; no need to detract with an adjective.

I am old enough to remember when the most ubiquitous boat name was "Mama's Mink." Aaauugghhh!

Dave:

First there was HMCS Trillium, on which a friend's dad served in WW2. When Mark got his own powerboat, after years of sail, she became Trillium. Trillium is presently the flagship of our Commodore in the RVYC.

In deference to my hosts, the people of British Columbia, I give you, HMCS Trillium, a Flower Class corvette.

Attachments

• trillium.jpg
    trillium.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 519
Boat-bound by moderate rain in Bamfield, my movie choices are:

In Which We Serve
or
The Enemy Below

Cast your votes now.

I only occasionally get to explain Seeadler. Unfortunately it is usually to someone who thinks I have attempted some bizarre wordplay with "Seattle." Really.

Sixty years ago convinced my father to name his 29-foot sloop "Seeadler," German for "Sea Eagle." Named if after a WWI German sailing ship raider. The first syllable does not rhyme with "see" or "sea." Try "Zayaudler."

I'm not quite sold on it, but I do like that it's fun and lighthearted without being too cute or punny, which I find obnoxious. People seem to like it.

I like it a lot. A lot of fun can be had with that name.

Dave:

First there was HMCS Trillium, on which a friend's dad served in WW2. When Mark got his own powerboat, after years of sail, she became Trillium. Trillium is presently the flagship of our Commodore in the RVYC.

Pretty darn good company to be in.

My wife and were talking about boat names. Some try to be “cute” or funny. Lots of boat names related to alcohol as well. A couple days ago a boat asked for a tow back to Gig Harbor. The name of the boat was “UNWINED”. The owner had to spell it out for the USCG radio operator because she certainly didn’t want to be mistaken for “Unwind”.

There is a whole other genre of boat names that I find juvenile. It is the name that is meant to be preceded by the by the wife saying “He is at/in/with..”. A couple examples being “The Office”, “The Doghouse”, “The Other Woman”, etc...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom