West Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
...of Vancouver Island, that is. Set out for Sooke this morning, knowing 25 knot winds were forecast in the Strait of J de F. Sure enough, right at noon. A hard right put me in Esquimalt. No space at the Can Forces Yacht Club, so I'm anchored out in 17' over mud, savoring a ham, havarti and kimchee sandwich washed down with a dry Okanogan cider.

Eventual plan is several days kayaking off the Mother - ship in Barkley Sound. Windy says good passage-making wx tomorrow.

Last edited:
Man, i'm at the dirt house and out of kimchee. I sure could use a quart of that, and my local supplier is closed tomorrow.

I really don't envy you right now, you've got problems...

A hard right put me in Esquimalt. No space at the Can Forces Yacht Club, so I'm anchored out in 17' over mud, savoring a ham, havarti and kimchee sandwich washed down with a dry Okanogan cider.

Might need some future gastro/rectal surgery from that kimchee addiction; I've seen it before. ;)

I as a rule don't eat things that have been left to rot underground for 6 months or more; just bad microbiological policy. ;) I worked for a S. Korean company for several years in the 90s, and for a private firm afterward doing business there. As much as I do in fact LOVE Korean food, I can't handle real Kimchee. And I collected some funny stories working around that/hiding it from my co-workers and clients. ;)

Other than that, sounds lovely!

Man, i'm at the dirt house and out of kimchee. I sure could use a quart of that, and my local supplier is closed tomorrow.

Kimchee, condiment of the 21st Century. Makes an excellent martini also.

Kimchee, condiment of the 21st Century. Makes an excellent martini also.

OMG, you are just being cruel now. As a recovering Martini fan and kimchi survivor, that just sounds insane!

Good luck with the weather.

Perfectly calm, sea like glass all the way down the Strait of JdeF.

which means...fog! 1/2 mile from Race Rocks to Sooke. Not dense enough to dissuade hundreds (no exaggeration)of little sport fishermen pursuing the wily and elusive salmon.

Attachments

• 20190728_091046.jpg
    20190728_091046.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 89
All I'm getting is you guys eat and drink to good on board. Where's the PB&J with milk or Banana sandwich on white bread with mayo and a glass of sweet black or orange tea. That's my meal plan on board for the weekends. OK, I was on a J boat fishing for bass and panfish.

All I'm getting is you guys eat and drink to good on board. Where's the PB&J with milk... my meal plan .

How's this?

Attachments

• 20190723_181156.jpg
    20190723_181156.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 72
Impressive Bill.

Secret revealed: For us who don't fish, foil pack smoked wild Alaska red salmon from Costco. No refrigeration, packs easily, cheaper than catching your own, and it really dresses up your table.

I had salmon frittata for brunch today.

Tonight, the more plebian baked potato smothered in canned chili topped with grated cheddar and onion.
...with a martini, of course.

Last edited:
Hope those are real martinis and not those vodka concoctions. :D

Are you going all the way around Vancouver Island?

Are you going all the way around Vancouver Island?

No. According to all I've read, I'm going in the wrong direction. Just trying to get to Bamfield for a few days of kayaking, then back to Victoria to pick up wife, sister, etc.

Hope to make the 75 miles from Sooke tomorrow; supposed to blow on Tuesday.

Last edited:
According to all I've read, I'm going in the wrong direction.

There are a host of reasons to go from North to South on the west coast of the Island, but many have cruised it in reverse. For example, Tony Fleming describes his West coast transit going in the opposite direction, you only need to listen to the first few minutes of the video below:

Reasons:

1. It is easier for sailboats to sail down rather than up.

2. It is easier for boats, such as sailboats, with smaller motors to cruise down with the wind at their back.

3. Many, for example the flotilla with Slow Boat, will end their Alaska cruise going down the West side of the Island on their way home.

4. The herd mentality, if everyone is doing it this way, I should do it too. Of course some do go the other way.

5. Depending on how a boat functions in a head wind, south may be easier than a north transit.

As you can see in the Fleming video, you are only out for shorter periods of time before you hit a shelter system through which to cruise before your next "jump."

Generally, the weather along coastal BC is the most benign this time of the year so you might as well take advantage of it.

Wait... wait... hang on a sec. That's a typo or something, right? Banana with mayo? That just... can't be right.

:rofl:

Kimchi and havarti, now banana and mayo?

Doesn’t take a detective or primary care doc to figure out he’s drinking his way south, not
actually sailing...

(Good natured joke, not being harsh ;)

Kimchi and havarti, now banana and mayo?

Doesn’t take a detective or primary care doc to figure out he’s drinking his way south, not
actually sailing...

(Good natured joke, not being harsh ;)

Two different posts from two different gourmands. I'm the one drinking my way west.

Besides, everyone knows it's bananas and peanut butter.

Wait... wait... hang on a sec. That's a typo or something, right? Banana with mayo? That just... can't be right.

:rofl:

Oh yeah and it has to be.......

Dukes-Mayonnaise-feature-small1.png

If this company ever goes out of business or changes their recipe, I'll never eat mayo again. :nonono:

I'm in Bamfield, charming little boardwalk village i last visited about thirty years ago. If you dont have your own boat,the way you get here is on the three-sailings-a-week freighter which makes the four hour passage from the highway at Port Alberni.

We sailed on the Lady Rose, which has been superceded by the Barkley.

Attachments

• 20190730_130718.jpg
    20190730_130718.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 76
They make stops enroute at salmon farms, sportfish camps ,etc.

Great fun to watch them working break-bulk cargo the old-fashioned way.

Attachments

• 20190730_123244.jpg
    20190730_123244.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 80
that's my stomping grounds! I live in Port alberni and have spent my whole life on the west coast. Summertime offers some beautiful cruising offshore, especially in the mornings> Im new to the whole trawler thing, but I have spent literally hundreds of hours offshore as a sport fishing guide. I plan to have my 34 tt ready to go by summer 2020 and I will not hesitate to head north. Brooks can be a bit nasty, however so can Estavan.
Watch the weather forecast and plan accordingly. The wife and I are so looking forward to this new chapter in our lives:)

...of Vancouver Island, that is. Set out for Sooke this morning, knowing 25 knot winds were forecast in the Strait of J de F. Sure enough, right at noon. A hard right put me in Esquimalt. No space at the Can Forces Yacht Club, so I'm anchored out in 17' over mud, savoring a ham, havarti and kimchee sandwich washed down with a dry Okanogan cider.

Eventual plan is several days kayaking off the Mother - ship in Barkley Sound. Windy says good passage-making wx tomorrow.

good luck with the trip. Although, I must say that if you're eating much kimchee, you should probably figure on more time anchored out...away from others. :):):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom