Old 07-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Maerin
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
The bank is charged while at dock with a magnum 2818 inverter charger. configured for AGMs and also a dedicated smart charger.

Lifeline specs float charge when the temp is 77 degrees at 13.3 volts.
My question is with the low current flowing into the bank does it hurt the battery bank to allow the FV to go to 13.5 to 13.6 Vdc or is it best to shut down the charger and let the inverter charger cycle between 13.3 and 12,8Vdc....

"Configured for AGM's" covers a lot of territory. It's way too broad. You need to configure the chargers for YOUR BANK. Yes, your bank happens to be AGM, but there's too much variation in AGM profiles to set it at that and leave it. For the Magnum, go into the custom profile and set the voltages at what Lifeline recommends. IIRC, the setting is for standard temps, the temp sensor (you do have a temperature sensor, right??) will correct the voltage for different temperatures. If your non-magnum smart charger can't be set for the custom profile, then it's not really so smart, and I'd figure on turning it off unless you're bulk/absorb charging and the voltage isn't as critical. When it's close to float I'd let the Magnum with a custom profile finish up.

If you're charging with a Balmar regulator, program it to the battery bank's profile, don't use the presets. Pay special attention to the SLP or slope setting. It's not well documented, but it important to set it to match the bank profile for temperature vs. voltage. An incorrect value can result in inadequate charging when the battery temps rise. Particularly notable if the bank is in the engine room as many are.

I killed an expensive Lifeline bank through chronic inadequate charging. Months at anchor, would shut the genset down when SOC reached 90%, my charging underway rarely brought the system up to full charge. A high output alternator corrected that, and solar has enabled me to reach 100% SOC every cycle unless the sun's not shining. Those Lifelines are a great battery, and expensive. Protect that investment by insuring your system is up to the task of bringing them up to a full charge on a regular basis!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote