Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The set screw that holds the prop on the shaft has no ability to hold the prop in place. I replace 3 props in 2 years. This winter I'm having a new shaft made that will hold the prop on in a different way with a through bolt from the end.

You must have a weird set up. Ours, as does every shaft/prop set up I've ever seen, has two nuts (one a thinner jamb nut) on the end of the shaft holding the prop on, plus a large cotter pin through a transverse hole in the outer end of the shaft that prevents the nuts from coming off in case they work loose. If the nuts can't come off, the prop (theoretically) shouldn't come off.

As to which of the two nuts goes on the shaft in what order, that's been a matter of discussion for ages.

Last edited:
bow thruster

I'm talking about the Schleipner bow thruster. It has only one 3/16 little allen set screw set into a detend at the end of the shaft. The torque from the 6 HP motor does a number on that little screw.

Oookay. I must have missed something in your original post.

Haven't had that problem with either the bow or stern thruster. I always put some loctite on that machine screw each year when I put the new zinc on.

bow thruster

Did the same thing each time. I feel the 6 HP motor just raises havoc with the little screw and the plastic of the prop.
I have a spare just in case, but will try some other form of fastening the prop to the shaft next spring

Andy G. Re; The bow thruster. The little 3/16 set screw holding the 9" prop in place is just not enough. I lost 3 props in as many years. At 9HP on the prop, pulling to StBd, it likes to pull the prop right of the shaft. I do not switch from Port to StBd on the thruster without a pause, none the less it too much HP on the plastic.
By the way, because of a change in computers and a subsequent loss of info I have yet another name with which I log on caus e I could not use my old name, "that name is already in use" :)

Am a new proud owner of an 1990 IG 36 Europa that needs some cosmetic work. Love the layout and may have to reluctantly retire the sailboat. Will there be a trawler meet in Solomon's this year, would love to make that my maiden voyage from North Carolina.

"similar" is not close to the same. The prices are way high for a salt water boat.

IG 32 Europa

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I look forward to participating in this forum. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Wayne Prichard (gray dog) and I live in Knoxville TN. We have owned our 1999 IG 32 Europa m/v Journey for three years and have used her for cruising much of that time. We have cruised almost 10,000 miles doing the great loop and a separate partial run to Florida. She is a great performer and I refer to her as a "muscular little boat".

When we bought her in 2014 she needed substantial upgrades to the electronics, larger black water holding tanks, canvas, dinghy lift, new batteries and the list goes on. More money than I ever expected but got her ready for long term cruising. Since we were away from our home waters so much of the time I had an opportunity to get to know her up close and personal. It was a rapid learning curve.

I am happy to contribute from my experience and I suspect you will see me ask a few questions from time to time.

Gray Dog

upgrades

Kind of what happened to my purchase of the IG 36. After the survey informed me the boat was in great shape, I repaired and replaced $12000 in electronics and about another $5500 in canvas, water and black water tank as well as other incidentals. But I got to know w the boat very well since I did most of my own work. Still trying to figure out what to do about the Windlass.

More money than I ever expected but got her ready for long term cruising.

That seems to be a common experience for a lot of us.
Glad you got the boat where you want it and are using her.

Hello Sunvale1, Good to catch up with you again. Regret that we could not get together in Michigan last year. Windlass is still a problem? Go ahead and spend the money. You'll feel better. Let me know if I can help.

Good looking boat, Ken. Doubt that you have a shortage of space. With my boat at 32' I could almost put two of mine in your boat with only a small amount hanging over the transom.

Wayne
Journey

Welcome aboard Grey Dog. Lots of information here for IGs.
Sunvale, what`s the problem with the windlass? Is it a Muir?

Galvestone

I came down there some years ago after the big hurricane looking for a place. Was going to motor down the river from the Great Lakes and live on the boat on one of the outer islands

Gray Dog
Glad to see you are still enjoying your Island Gypsy, it was a great boat for us for a number of years. We sold it to buy a houseboat which was a mistake, only kept it for a year, then bought a 34 Mainship. The mainship is not an IG, we miss our old boat. It made a few Ten-Tom trips and never let us down, you are a lucky captain.

Ray

I am looking at a 36' Mk II Europa 1989. Are there any weak points that I should look at very carefully? Thank You.

to many things to report on. Make sure you get the manuals and save all phone numbers and names as they will surely come in handy some day. Don't waste your money with survey. i had it done and it was a waste of $$. The fellow overlooked so many things:facepalm:

A good survey is a good idea....

the key is "A Good Survey" But finding one is the hard part. Mine cost me $1800 and it had a nicely written report in a binder but mentioned nothing of the holes in the holding tank. The obvious rotted fitting going into the tank. Or the Frozen windlass. The radar that would not function or the dri-rot I found behind the fridge or the leaking windows and I could go on and on. No question about it, but a good handy person wirth some basic knowledge on how things work could do just as well on their own.

Ron T, mine is earlier but do check exposed windows and seals carefully, especially if timber windows. At that age any teak decks are suspect, the "real" deck underneath may be too affected. Osmosis is likely to be present. Check the stern glands, access can be poor. Check for good primary fuel filtration, early ones had undrainable canisters with replaceable elements, hopefully yours has Racors. And of course check the (presumably) mild steel fuel and water tanks for leaks/rust, esp the tops of the tanks.
Do get a survey. Accept that a surveyor, on the boat for a short time,may miss things you will find over your time of ownership. Get a mechanical survey too.
Feel free to ask specific questions your own inspections raise.

You are probably going to need a survey to get insurance anyway.

My windows were new and had aluminum frames I had an issue with the wood around the window. The caulking was the wrong stuff and water found it's way past it and caused damage. The surveyor did not find it. You will indeed have to have a survey to finance and insure the boat. Look behind the fridge and check the wood behind it. 6 screws and the box will come out. Look for the water tell tale signs , you will find all sorts of problems. For sure check the windlass operation. Mine was ceased and slipped by the survey.

the key is "A Good Survey" But finding one is the hard part. Mine cost me $1800 and it had a nicely written report in a binder but mentioned nothing of the holes in the holding tank. The obvious rotted fitting going into the tank. Or the Frozen windlass. The radar that would not function or the dri-rot I found behind the fridge or the leaking windows and I could go on and on. No question about it, but a good handy person wirth some basic knowledge on how things work could do just as well on their own.

I can appreciate your comments about surveyors. Some are good, some are not. The vast majority of us can do most of the survey ourselves, takes little skill. Writing up the specs, numbers, equipment on board, taking pretty pictures and putting together a presentation. Also, we can easily verify most of what's working or not, correct speeds, engine performance, electronics, windlass, head, galley, etc., etc.

What we can miss it the little things that could be big things. Like a weak hull that can only be detected with instruments, or a wiring flaw, or something installed wrong or missing. Leaks, broken things, old wiring, hoses, cracks, etc. Things that we are unfamiliar with and he's seen a hundred times. And that's what you pay a surveyor for.

However, you can easily get buy just hiring a good mechanic that knows this stuff, and perhaps an electrician or a few other experts.

I've done all of the above, and for the most part my surveys were not a real bargain. The mechanics were.

In some cases the deal is so good, and there's buyers standing behind you that you just buy it as is. I've done that a few times and always made out handsomely. Sometimes the deal is made only if timely... like within hours, not days.

I missed one good deal for waiting a few hours. Sold for $96 and I was in at $95, boat worth north of $160. There were no surveyors, but could get a quick look see. Damn!

Overall, a survey is not a bad thing, and if one is very conservative and wants nothing uncovered, they'll get a survey, have a mechanic and electrician check things out, too.

right on with the mechanic and electrical personal. I worked on boats for many years from glass layup to floor timbers etc. So I knew something about boats.
My boat came with all the original manuals and between that info and the former owners personal notes in them gave me a pretty good idea what was what. I did not intend to get this subject into tsunami, just wanted to mention that a person hiring a surveyor needs to be vigilant in the selecting process.

New Island Gypsy Owner

Recently purchased a Island Gypsy 44 and am looking for other owners who are willing to share information and advise. We decided to become full time live aboard. Our boat is very comfortable and spacious, having spent many years cruising sail boats, am somewhat nervous about boat handling characters in open seas.

Any information would be great.

I have owned an IG32 for five years and it has carried us 12,000 miles. Happy to help in any way.

Wayne

Recently purchased a Island Gypsy 44 and am looking for other owners who are willing to share information and advise. We decided to become full time live aboard. Our boat is very comfortable and spacious, having spent many years cruising sail boats, am somewhat nervous about boat handling characters in open seas.

Any information would be great.

Ill be comparing notes in about a week... I should close on IG44-43 by next Friday! :)
The IG44 is a very capable vessel, but like any trawler beam seas can shake you up. This one has a beautiful "Steadying Sail" which can be better than stabilizers, and certainly less maintenance!

Last edited:
I bought my 1987 36' Island Gypsy Classic Long Range trawler with twin SP225's @ 970 original documented hours last year for far less $$. But I say I was lucky. I jump on it like three dogs on a three legged cat. As far as twin vs. single, always twin yes it is twice the maintenance but it is redundancy. I would go for Europa if price is right. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom