Offer accepted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Perkins 4.236 is certainly up to the job. I put over 4500 hours on one, which had a mid life rebuild (at about 4000 hours--didn't need a rebuild, but the PO didn't know how to change the main oil seal without taking the engine out of the boat!) The engine was completely examined and all was up to spec at 4000 hours. Since It was apart we put in new mains, and any part which seemed to wear. I sold that boat 20 years ago. The next owner still lives aboard and the engine still ticks over. That boat was a Cal 46, Displacement 30,000# lite boat, we sailed her fairly heavy, often with supplies aboard for 6 months. The specs are very similar to your boat (beam LWL and hull form just more draft with the keel)--she would run at a gallon an hour at 6 knots at 1600 RPM. Max speed was just shy of 9 knots. We never ran over 8 knots--and rarely did that. I consider that Perkins a great match for your hull.

Remember that "Idlewild" did her circumnavigation with a 55 hp Izusu. (She was 30,000 lite boat, 57' LOA, and 11' beam.)

Congratulations, she looks to be a well found and constructed vessel.

Idlewild Idlewild

Thanks! And thanks for the testimonial. I've never worked with a Perkins, in fact I've never owned a diesel before, so this will be new territory for me. From what I've been able to glean so far, these things are pretty well liked by their owners and mechanics alike.

I've only worked on Perkins in trucks. The only work I even had to do to one was fluid changes, filters, and an occasional oil seal. I don't think I ever had to bleed the fuel system on any of them after sitting.

Late season migrant, hey? So November is when we finally get semi-consistent cooler weax, but the humidity is rarely low enough for comfortable sleeping even then. Do yourself a favor, and do not come this way without some way to cool off the sleeping quarters. AC is a requirement in my book to sleep aboard a boat that has been running all day because all that engine heat will not be easily gotten rid of by sleepy time. Screens don't keep out the noseeums meaning the portlights are shut anyway. We use AC here a few times in winter to dry the humid air out in the house.

What is the capacity of that genny? Hot summer whole boat cooling will take maybe two 16,000 Btu units. And don't forget the dehumidifier you will need or else face mold covering everything after a month of boat left alone.

That's all good to know. AC is on the short list of things I'd want to install sooner than later. The genset is a 6kw, so there shouldn't be an issues with power availability. The online calculator I used to estimate BTUs needed suggested 14k, with 'heavy heat loading' but I'm not sure if that covers a cooling Perkins or running Yanmar in the basement.

Two very general observations.

First, I've found all the Maritime Colleges do an excellent job of teaching and training. I compare it to other professions and it's the level of concentration on the profession that is key. We have engineers from Mass and Cal Maritime. I've found Maritime College graduates are extremely employable and decent starting incomes. These are professions I think often overlooked by young people. Interestingly, in a ranking of best colleges for your money, Maritime Colleges do well.

Second, in so many professions people are burned out prior to retirement and want nothing close to their profession after. However, it seems to me that boaters are boaters are boaters. Those who work on commercial ships still are interested in recreational vessels and those who retire so often want to go boating. It probably indicates many get into the industry because of their love of the water, not just for the jobs or the money. I think too the recreational boating is so different from commercial ships that it is a pleasurable change.

I would not want to go to Florida even in the winter without A/C. Even if it isn’t unbearably hot, it will be humid.

That's all good to know. AC is on the short list of things I'd want to install sooner than later. The genset is a 6kw, so there shouldn't be an issues with power availability. The online calculator I used to estimate BTUs needed suggested 14k, with 'heavy heat loading' but I'm not sure if that covers a cooling Perkins or running Yanmar in the basement.

If it helps to know... we run two 16K BTU ACs -- and an all-electric galley, water heater, etc. -- on an 8kW genset, with no particular need (so far) to pay any attention to load-shedding.

Given potential issues with retro-fitting ducting, and various routing issues you may encounter anyway... you may find two AC units could be more efficient than a single. Just a thought...

Around here, AC is a must during summer, and reverse cycle heating can easily extend our normal local boating season to at least March-November.

-Chris

If it helps to know... we run two 16K BTU ACs -- and an all-electric galley, water heater, etc. -- on an 8kW genset, with no particular need (so far) to pay any attention to load-shedding.

Given potential issues with retro-fitting ducting, and various routing issues you may encounter anyway... you may find two AC units could be more efficient than a single. Just a thought...

Around here, AC is a must during summer, and reverse cycle heating can easily extend our normal local boating season to at least March-November.

-Chris

Wifey B: Don't leave home without your AC. That's not the slogan. :eek:

I've lived in AC since I was 16, hubby since he was 0. It's not just FL, got to have it in NC, got to have it on the Chesapeake, got to have in in NY. Our boat is another home and must have it and heat too and what Chris said about even reverse cycle heating can really extend the season. It turns decent days into good days and the ones that would be frigid it makes decent. My boating is influenced by the condition of the seas but not going to be influenced by an exceptionally hot or cold day that pops up. :)

Well, after a long couple of days, I'm pleased to report that the survey went very, very well.

The hull is in great shape. The ultrasonic testing showed that the plating is still just as thick as it was when it was built 34 years ago. The running gear is in excellent shape, and the coatings still have years of life left to them.

After the haul out, we took her out for a sea trial. The weather was sunny and calm, so most of the motion we felt was from the occasional go fast boat throwing a wake at us. We got rolled once pretty good, but I was glad we did. I was able to appreciate the fact that there wasn't a single squeak, rattle, groan or any indication that the boat was anything other than very well screwed together. She felt really solid, stable, and had a very comfortable motion. Her shallow draft, relatively light weight, and long length to width ratio means she moves through the water easily. She picks up speed quickly, and throws very little wake. In tight quarters, she's not the most agile thing in the world, owing to that directional stability, and I do feel that she could use a thruster.

The rest of the survey went extremely smoothly. There were a few minor findings, the worst of which was a fuel filler hose that's starting to show some surface cracks. It's not leaking, but will need to be replaced in the near future. It's also one of a very few things on the boat that isn't easily accessible. The short list of other recommendations was all fairly nit-picky, and there wasn't anything even close to a deal breaker.

I'm happy.

Thanks to the collective wisdom of this forum, I know that when you're buying an old boat, you're buying the previous owner. You're buying their work ethic, their attention to detail, their cleanliness, and their willingness to spend time and money on the boat. My main takeaway from this survey was that this owner knew what he was doing, and that he really, genuinely loved this boat. It shows through in so many ways, from the way everything feels solid and overbuilt, to just how pathologically clean everything is, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I mainly just follow all these posts. Glad it went really well!

As far as A/C down south goes.... More is always better!
Congrats!

Keith

Last edited:
Awesome news! I agree that you found a winner. Excited for you.

Dave:

If you somehow don't end up buying this vessel, I imagine that there are at least 10 others on this forum who will.

And probably at least 35 TF members (like me) who are looking at your boat's $114,000 price tag and looking at what they paid for their boats, and thinking that you are one smart son of a gun.

Finally, I agree with you, adding a bowthruster to a single screw vessel is a great idea. From looking at the photos and now hearing about the survey, that and the a/c may be the only modifications you ever need to make to YOUR NEW BOAT!

Congratulations!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
I would not want to go to Florida even in the winter without A/C. Even if it isn’t unbearably hot, it will be humid.

-Chris

Wifey B: Don't leave home without your AC. That's not the slogan. :eek:

I've lived in AC since I was 16, hubby since he was 0. It's not just FL, got to have it in NC, got to have it on the Chesapeake, got to have in in NY. Our boat is another home and must have it and heat too and what Chris said about even reverse cycle heating can really extend the season. It turns decent days into good days and the ones that would be frigid it makes decent. My boating is influenced by the condition of the seas but not going to be influenced by an exceptionally hot or cold day that pops up. :)

I mainly just follow all these posts. Glad it went really well!

As far as A/C down south goes.... More is always better!
Congrats!

Keith

Thanks for the input on the AC issue, gang. I hadn't considered the no seeum issue, and was thinking I could just count on a good breeze a lot of the time. It's currently in the top five on the list of boat improvement projects. She actually already has a propane forced air furnace for heat, and I think I may be able to just tie into the existing duct work, but I'm not sure. That'll be a project for another thread, I'm sure.

Looks like you have a winner. Very happy for you.

Awesome news! I agree that you found a winner. Excited for you.

Dave:

If you somehow don't end up buying this vessel, I imagine that there are at least 10 others on this forum who will.

And probably at least 35 TF members (like me) who are looking at your boat's $114,000 price tag and looking at what they paid for their boats, and thinking that you are one smart son of a gun.

Finally, I agree with you, adding a bowthruster to a single screw vessel is a great idea. From looking at the photos and now hearing about the survey, that and the a/c may be the only modifications you ever need to make to YOUR NEW BOAT!

Congratulations!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Thanks guys! I dunno about being smart, lucky for sure, but definitely excited, lol.

That's excellent news, glad it's working out well for you thus far. Exciting times!

Following this thread and seeing, no feeling, your excitement and appreciation of what you have bought, I think the seller is probably smiling and very comfortable with who has taken over.
Congratulations.

That's excellent news, glad it's working out well for you thus far. Exciting times!

Very exciting!

Looks the goods, congrats.

Congrats on the good survey. Have fun.
Beautiful vessel! Good luck with her.

Thanks Guys!

Following this thread and seeing, no feeling, your excitement and appreciation of what you have bought, I think the seller is probably smiling and very comfortable with who has taken over.
Congratulations.

The owner said he was glad I was the one to take her. I only hope I can keep her up to the standard he's set.

Your happiness delights me!

Me too, lol.

When your only issue is a fuel filler hose, you are on a winner. You chose well! When`s closing?

Congratulations, Dave! She surveyed well and it sounds like you were pretty much expecting that. We look forward to stories of your adventures on her.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom