Onan Fuel Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightCrawler

Vessel Name
Previous owner GB 42 Classic
Vessel Make
Currently running a 23' CC
New fuel filter head, base and cartridge. Original fuel pump, 1990 8K genset. Fuel now leaking out at the top of the injector pump, just the center one leaks. Never had this before. Fittings have never been touched, still original paint on the hex heads. You can see the fuel puddling around the fixture. The leak is during shut down time as well as when running. Fuel tanks are usually over half full as now, putting about a 2' head of fuel above this area.
Question - is this just a 'snug them up' and be done or does someone see something deeper going on? Genset has ~3,000 hrs. and runs most excellently.

ForumRunner_20180121_110546.jpg

Delivery valve holder orings. Can be replaced in situ. Not hard to do, just be meticulous about keeping dirt and paint chips out of pump and put everything back as it came apart.

Look up Kubota D950 injection pump parts diagram to see what is there.

Snugging things up will do no good.

Same thing happened to me on my Onan 8KW. There are small O-rings that have failed and is common with our gennies. By OEM O-rings, not your hardware store variety.

Remove the fuel lines and then the CAREFULLY remove the delivery valve paying attention to the spring and ball. Replace O-ring, reassemble.

I have the same issue on the same 8kW generator. The o-rings are Kubota # 15331-9676. The small gaskets are Kubota # 15331-5124.

Thought I had pics, but no. Sorry.

I buy all my Genny parts from below, but beware it will take ay least 10-days or more to get them. They are Onan parts. Much cheaper than getting parts from Cummins. Sometimes, Jacks will tell you the part is no longer available. Call Cummins to get the most recent part number, then go back to Jacks.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/

Great info. Umonit tomorrow! Thanks all.

The non-marine specific parts need not be bought from Onan/Cummins. Any Kubota dealer or aftermarket source can get the parts.

Daniel

Success

Thanks all for feedback. Injector pump went back together easily, runs great. No leaks. Got the parts from Carolina Diesel in Wilmington, NC. These guys have been great to work with.

Thanks all for feedback. Injector pump went back together easily, runs great. No leaks. Got the parts from Carolina Diesel in Wilmington, NC. These guys have been great to work with.

This has been on my "to do" list ever since I saw this thread. I've got some fuel in the genset pan. It's not much, so it's hard to know where it's coming from. I'm thinking maybe I've got the same issue as described in this thread.

I've got a 1980 Onan MDJE 7.5KW 2-cylinder.

The diagram from the parts manual doesn't list (or even show) an o-ring in that location:
4339-albums438-picture5362.jpg

Am I looking in the wrong place? It looks like it's the bottom of part "#43, Line, Fuel, Injection Pump to Nozzle."

Anyone have the part #, or know how to get it?

Thank you!!

Check with Jeff at Carolina Diesel. Gave him my Onan serial number and he knew exactly what I needed. He's been a lifesaver when I need parts for our 6BTA's as well
(910) 251-8202

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom