Tennessee river marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyinb

Morning folks, would love some input on places along the Tennessee river to live that has trawler friendly marinas near by. We are selling our place in Oregon and plan to retire somewhere in TN, my lifelong dream was to own a trawler and possibly do the great loop. Would be nice to live right on the water and have our own dock but probably could not afford that.

Most marinas along the Tennessee river are very trawler friendly.

Morning folks, would love some input on places along the Tennessee river to live that has trawler friendly marinas near by. We are selling our place in Oregon and plan to retire somewhere in TN, my lifelong dream was to own a trawler and possibly do the great loop. Would be nice to live right on the water and have our own dock but probably could not afford that.

How far up the river? Shady Grove Harbor (mm 487) has very clean, modern covered slips in a well-protected cove. We pay <$400 for a 50’ x 18’ slip with fingers on both sides. It’s quiet unless a Harley is passing on the road on the opposite bank. Downtown Chattanooga is less than 30 minutes away and the city and scenery have a lot to recommend. Live-aboards are welcome—although there’s only one that I know of. There’s a nuclear plant down river in case that bothers (or delights) you.

Attachments

• 255472AA-1ABA-421B-BE77-B6508A853435.jpg
    255472AA-1ABA-421B-BE77-B6508A853435.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Angus, We have looked at places (on line) from Paris Landing area all the way down to Pickwick dam, also looked around Watts Bar lake area. One thing for sure is we don't want to be in a big city, or even a small city..lol. When we sell our place we will be living in our RV and looking for a place, hopefully in the next couple months. A nuclear plant don't bother us.

Pickwick lake and Hardin County in Tennessee. Homes are very affordable and very nice Marinas in the area (Grande Harbor, Aqua Harbor, and Pickwick Park Marina).

Not sure your budget but you will see large homes with their own docks starting around $400k. Homes without docks will start around $100k.

We bought our smallish 2br/2bt for $105k a year ago. It is walking distance to Pickwick lake, within 1 mile of Aqua Harbor, and about 10 min drive to golf course at the state park. We are not retiring to it for another couple of years but it currently pays for itself with vacation rentals.

Thanks Angus, We have looked at places (on line) from Paris Landing area all the way down to Pickwick dam, also looked around Watts Bar lake area. One thing for sure is we don't want to be in a big city, or even a small city..lol. When we sell our place we will be living in our RV and looking for a place, hopefully in the next couple months. A nuclear plant don't bother us.

This post changes all the equation. It's not a matter of marinas but where you want to live. You apparently are eliminating Knoxville and Chattanooga, two incredible cities. I'd probably go toward the warmest areas, that being the case and look on Pickwick.

We are at Paris Landing mm 66.1. It’s not as pretty or as much to do as in Chattanooga but we have a clean and quiet marina with restaurant. It’s a State Park marina. We have a 50 ft covered slip $300 a month.

Attachments

• A5D6BD98-2F14-4B18-A807-102A9CA0D65C.jpg
    A5D6BD98-2F14-4B18-A807-102A9CA0D65C.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 92
Check out Goose Pond Marina in Scottsboro, Al on the Tennessee river. There is an rv campground adjacent to the marina along with an 18 hole golf course and walk to restaurants. Also haul-out repair facility.
Note the scale on the dock support for measuring big bass or crappie’s. :)

Attachments

• 18B3ADA9-62A5-4003-AFF5-C9F258D91A4F.jpg
    18B3ADA9-62A5-4003-AFF5-C9F258D91A4F.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
This post changes all the equation. It's not a matter of marinas but where you want to live. You apparently are eliminating Knoxville and Chattanooga, two incredible cities. I'd probably go toward the warmest areas, that being the case and look on Pickwick.

BandB...Thanks for the tip on Pickwick, Should have gave more details on what we are looking for. A small town type marina/area would be what were looking for. Been out in the boondocks to long, big cities scare me..LOL

Pickwick lake and Hardin County in Tennessee. Homes are very affordable and very nice Marinas in the area (Grande Harbor, Aqua Harbor, and Pickwick Park Marina).

Not sure your budget but you will see large homes with their own docks starting around $400k. Homes without docks will start around $100k.

We bought our smallish 2br/2bt for $105k a year ago. It is walking distance to Pickwick lake, within 1 mile of Aqua Harbor, and about 10 min drive to golf course at the state park. We are not retiring to it for another couple of years but it currently pays for itself with vacation rentals.

Thanks Zebra, defiantly going to check that area out as well.

We are at Paris Landing mm 66.1. It’s not as pretty or as much to do as in Chattanooga but we have a clean and quiet marina with restaurant. It’s a State Park marina. We have a 50 ft covered slip $300 a month.

Paris Landing is one of the marinas that from what i read i really like, some reasonable houses around there as well. Is there usually slips available there? Where would the closest facility be to have your boat hauled and do your own maintanance? Thank, Bruce

Check out Goose Pond Marina in Scottsboro, Al on the Tennessee river. There is an rv campground adjacent to the marina along with an 18 hole golf course and walk to restaurants. Also haul-out repair facility.
Note the scale on the dock support for measuring big bass or crappie’s. :)

Hidho...Not really into golf but the haul-out facility is a plus.

Paris Landing is one of the marinas that from what i read i really like, some reasonable houses around there as well. Is there usually slips available there? Where would the closest facility be to have your boat hauled and do your own maintanance? Thank, Bruce
The covered slips stay booked up but things move around pretty quick. The closest haul out is Sunset Harbor Hill about 25 miles north. Green Turtle Bay is another . It’s on the Cumberland about 40 miles away. There is a canal that connects the Tennessee and the Cumberland Rivers. I don’t think either of these marinas will let you do your own maintenance on their yard. I did a couple little things myself at Sunset when I had mine pulled a couple years ago .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom