Offer accepted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, but I was impressed with the floating AC ground on that boat that does not connect with the hull or engine at all. That indicates the builder/owner knew what they were doing.

You're the third person to mention that, which I find extremely encouraging!

Nice! Ive been living aboard full time since last October. No regrets!

That's great to hear! I hope I can make the transition so successfully. This will be the biggest change I've ever made. I'm nervous, but I'm even more excited.

Anyplace is warmer than upstate NY in the winter, where you think of heading?

That's an excellent question, lol. Right now, the only concrete plans I have are to make sure I get out of the NY State Canals before they close. I'd like to spend the deep dark winter somewhere in Florida. Maybe St. Augustine? Maybe the Keys? I've heard lots of good things about Boot Key Harbor. I'm not really sure.

So we should expect you and your new to you boat in Fort Pierce in February?

Hey that's not a bad idea at all. It's entirely possible. Maybe I could take over for Oliver and start stealing peoples' shoes!

Awesome Sauce

Great lines! Good luck with the sea trial and survey!! Keep us abreast as to what comes of it...:thumb:

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement, gang. I really do appreciate it. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll keep you posted.

Agreed, but I was impressed with the floating AC ground on that boat that does not connect with the hull or engine at all. That indicates the builder/owner knew what they were doing.

David

Yes, very important to be very careful about an aluminum hull and electricity because aluminum is highly susceptible to any kind of stray current as it will cause very bad corrosion very fast.
Aluminum anodes are now very popular for good reason.

Congratulations! Looks a well designed nicely fitted out boat, good for cruising and ample space to live aboard without feeling cramped. Keep the stars in your eyes under wraps while you do the "due diligence".

congrats on the boat! when is the survey and sea trial?. interesting to hear what her speed and fuel consumption is..
Have Fun
HOLLYWOOD

Congrats! :dance: Hope things go smooth!

(and the men in the little white coats are going to start looking for you if you really start lactating!)

Yes, very important to be very careful about an aluminum hull and electricity because aluminum is highly susceptible to any kind of stray current as it will cause very bad corrosion very fast.
Aluminum anodes are now very popular for good reason.

Definitely. I've been careful to pick a surveyor who's knowledgeable about aluminum boats, but I have a lot to learn on the subject.

Congrats Dave. Looks like a very cool boat.

Thanks!

Congratulations! Looks a well designed nicely fitted out boat, good for cruising and ample space to live aboard without feeling cramped. Keep the stars in your eyes under wraps while you do the "due diligence".

The space and layout grabbed me immediately. It was the same feeling I had when I walked into my house for the first time 11 years ago. It just felt like home.

congrats on the boat! when is the survey and sea trial?. interesting to hear what her speed and fuel consumption is..
Have Fun
HOLLYWOOD

Survey and sea trial are penciled in for next week. It's taken quite a while to find a surveyor. Several of the more reputable ones have retired recently, and many of the rest are booked solid to keep up with demand. A few turned me down just because they didn't have the equipment or skills to do an aluminum boat. I didn't expect it to be this tricky!

Congrats! :dance: Hope things go smooth!

(and the men in the little white coats are going to start looking for you if you really start lactating!)

That's my backup plan! If things ever fall apart, I'll either join the circus, or start working for Ben & Jerry's.

Agreed, but I was impressed with the floating AC ground on that boat that does not connect with the hull or engine at all.
Could you please explain the principle, in a few words and point me to the picture where you spotted it?
Thank you.

It's taken quite a while to find a surveyor. Several of the more reputable ones have retired recently, and many of the rest are booked solid to keep up with demand. A few turned me down just because they didn't have the equipment or skills to do an aluminum boat. I didn't expect it to be this tricky!

If needed call the mothership, MetalCraft, for a surveyor.

If needed call the mothership, MetalCraft, for a surveyor.

I actually did try to contact them by email, but I never heard back. It might be worth giving them a call tomorrow. I'm really hoping to have a good relationship with them.

Ahh,,,Dave?

Remember who gets the first ride? It is either me or Northern Spy. We've been with you on this from the beginning before the bandwagon filled up.

I'd ask if you need crew to cross Lake Ontario but oh yeah, I guess you've been there, done that!

Good for you. I bet she surveys with flying colors since that is how she seems built.

Ahh,,,Dave?

Remember who gets the first ride? It is either me or Northern Spy. We've been with you on this from the beginning before the bandwagon filled up.

I'd ask if you need crew to cross Lake Ontario but oh yeah, I guess you've been there, done that!

Good for you. I bet she surveys with flying colors since that is how she seems built.

Oh Bill, you guys are definitely on the list, haha. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone here I wouldn't welcome aboard. I've got a couple of TF burgees that I'm really looking forward to flying.

I may actually need some crew, specifically for the Welland Canal portion. I've never been all the way through there, and never on anything less than 600 feet, so that'll be an entirely new adventure. I believe I'll be required to carry two crew in addition to myself.

Very cool boat! Congrats and hope the survey goes well!

Interesting. Almost came back to NY this summer. Instead I sent my son. He's waxing the topsides of my parents Mainship at the Seneca Lake State Park marina this week.

Here is the boat I think your boat is modeled after, from the Derecktor website.

Check out that hard chine.

https://derecktor.com/history/1969-jim-hawkins/
Oh Bill, you guys are definitely on the list, haha. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone here I wouldn't welcome aboard. I've got a couple of TF burgees that I'm really looking forward to flying.

I may actually need some crew, specifically for the Welland Canal portion. I've never been all the way through there, and never on anything less than 600 feet, so that'll be an entirely new adventure. I believe I'll be required to carry two crew in addition to myself.
1969-Jim-Hawkins.jpeg

Congratulations and I hope all goes well next week for your survey. That is a beautiful boat!

Interesting. Almost came back to NY this summer. Instead I sent my son. He's waxing the topsides of my parents Mainship at the Seneca Lake State Park marina this week.

Here is the boat I think your boat is modeled after, from the Derecktor website.

Check out that hard chine.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see some family resemblance there. Chop off a bunch of bow, and stretch that trunk cabin into a sundeck, and Bob's your uncle. I'm really curious to see how she feels underway. I'll find out a week from today!

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to never needing to wax this boat.

Congratulations and I hope all goes well next week for your survey. That is a beautiful boat!

Thank you!

Good to hear that you have the survey challenge conquered!

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to never needing to wax this boat.

Why would you think you'll not need to polish/wax. It's painted, correct? It's going to be outside in the weather and not inside an air-conditioned and heated building, right?

Color me confused,

Sidney

Man... that is one cool boat! I dig it!

Been living on my 44 since March... I'm always asked if it was better or worse than expected. Better in every way.

Here's to the survey and sea trial going well for you. Hope to meet up down in the Keys or elsewhere hopefully in 4-5 years if I can retire and get this Trojan on the Loop!!

Congrats!

Good to hear that you have the survey challenge conquered!

So far so good!

Man... that is one cool boat! I dig it!

Been living on my 44 since March... I'm always asked if it was better or worse than expected. Better in every way.

Here's to the survey and sea trial going well for you. Hope to meet up down in the Keys or elsewhere hopefully in 4-5 years if I can retire and get this Trojan on the Loop!!

Congrats!

Thanks! It's always reassuring to hear another success story.

Why would you think you'll not need to polish/wax. It's painted, correct? It's going to be outside in the weather and not inside an air-conditioned and heated building, right?

Color me confused,

Sidney

It's 100% possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. (I should probably make that my signature...) I was just going on something the current owner told me. It's not a glossy finish, so I was perfectly willing to believe him.

It's 100% possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. (I should probably make that my signature...) I was just going on something the current owner told me. It's not a glossy finish, so I was perfectly willing to believe him.

Dave,

I read the for sale ad on Yachtworld and saw it said painted with epoxy. That's still a painted finish that is applied, in this case, over aluminum to keep the base material from degrading. Aluminum won't rot or rust but will corrode. If the epoxy used had a flattener added it won't shine no matter how much you polish it. However, it will still have weather, uv, birds, acid rain,...etc that should be cleaned off and a wax applied to protect it. A cleaner polish/wax should be enough to protect the finish. (It might also shine up nicely!)

You've got the right attitude and congrats on your purchase. Have fun in Florida.

Sidney

Dave:

Your post from July 30, 2018 was my favorite posting ever on this forum. For those who haven't seen it, Dave talked about how he had finally found the resolve, and formed a plan, to buy a liveaboard boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s30/long-rambling-thoughts-indecisive-man-39728.html

So when I saw this thread, my first thought was "Woohoo! Dave is on his way!" I showed it to hubby Dan, and as we sat in the cockpit watching the sun go down, in our berth on the Tennessee River last night, we raised a toast to Dave and his (hopefully) new boat.

:dance::dance:

We both really like your potential new boat/home. I hope she passes the surveys with flying colors.

And I have a question, too. It appears you are 3 and 1/2 years ahead of schedule of the plan you formulated in 2018. If you don't mind sharing, what changed? Did you already sell your house?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Dave
That's great news... really like the look, lines and layout.
It looks like a very livable boat... best of luck w the due diligence and closing.
I think I've been in that yard w the commercial builds going on.
Have you picked where to fly your TF burgee yet??

Dave:

Your post from July 30, 2018 was my favorite posting ever on this forum. For those who haven't seen it, Dave talked about how he had finally found the resolve, and formed a plan, to buy a liveaboard boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s30/long-rambling-thoughts-indecisive-man-39728.html

So when I saw this thread, my first thought was "Woohoo! Dave is on his way!" I showed it to hubby Dan, and as we sat in the cockpit watching the sun go down, in our berth on the Tennessee River last night, we raised a toast to Dave and his (hopefully) new boat.

:dance::dance:

We both really like your potential new boat/home. I hope she passes the surveys with flying colors.

And I have a question, too. It appears you are 3 and 1/2 years ahead of schedule of the plan you formulated in 2018. If you don't mind sharing, what changed? Did you already sell your house?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Well that's awfully kind of you to say! Cheers to the Trombley crew!

This all crept up on me a lot sooner than I was expecting, for sure. I haven't sold the house. It's not even listed yet. In fact my kitchen remodel still isn't quite done, lol. I guess I won't get to enjoy that new kitchen I've been looking forward to for the last ten years. It's a shame really, it was coming out so nicely. Oh well. It'll make the house a lot easier to sell at least.

I only ended up saving about 20k of the original goal by the time I found this boat. It was listed for only a little over half of my original budget, so I figured I'd just have a look. Why not, right?

I knew she was a winner as soon as I stepped on her dock. She looks like she was built three years ago. After a few hours of poking around and talking with the owner, I knew it was an opportunity I'd regret not taking. She just felt like home.

I'll end up financing more than I'd originally planned, but not too much more, and not an amount I'm uncomfortable with. I guess that's just going to be the price I pay for getting to jump the line.

...Hopefully. Fingers crossed for the survey next week!

Dave
That's great news... really like the look, lines and layout.
It looks like a very livable boat... best of luck w the due diligence and closing.
I think I've been in that yard w the commercial builds going on.
Have you picked where to fly your TF burgee yet??

You bet your biscuits I have! It's going on the starboard halyard. I don't know if that conforms to even a single rule, but I don't care... lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom