Moving from a Catamaran to a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
My wife and I are moving from weekends on a 34 foot catamaran to full time on a Trawler(motor yacht). It will be used 90% of the time in the ICW chasing cool weather.
I've owned boats for 45+ years so rebuild carbs, fixing shaft packings, replacing manfolds are common stuff. Diesel skills are ok, glow plugs, fuel pumps, electrical skills solid, etc.

I used the Gemini Catamaran list for years and now look forward to a new set of online experts and adding value where I can.

So here goes....

Made on offer on a 1997 48 foot Jefferson. Offered 125k on an asking price of 137K. Owner countered with 130K. Said no thank you and walked away. Owner re-counters at 120K ???? Have you ever seen that before ? What am I missing?

A survey was done about 6 weeks ago and I'll get a copy of it but don't believe anything significant will be on it.

It's a 2 owner 1997 Jefferson 48 that has the engines replaced with Volvo a few year back and these engines have about 330 hours . A volvo mechanic did the engine survey, and exhaust clamp and a small leak on the external oil filter housing were noted. The oil housing issue is supposedly a know issues/defect. It will need to be fixed

Any where to find a boat fax like a car fax? To many things seem out of the normal.

I'll be doing a haul out and my own survey but any questions I would be considering before doing that

Thanks in advanced and looking forward to working on this list with youall

Joe & Susan Brockert

Yes, your price negotiation isn't all that unusual. The seller hadn't come to grips with reality when he rejected your $125K offer and after you walked had a change of heart and thought he needed to sweeten your offer to get you back. It worked and 120/137 is within the typical contract price vs asking price normal range.

By all means do a survey. The one done previously is worth looking at but have you own guy do one. Once you have that in hand then there is often another round of negotiations.

David

I'll be doing a haul out and my own survey but any questions I would be considering before doing that

Thanks in advanced and looking forward to working on this list with youall
Joe & Susan:

I would recommend against doing the survey yourselves, unless you are a qualified Marine Surveyor. I am sure someone here can recommend a great surveyor in the Corpus area.

What is "this list" that you refer to at the end of your post?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Welcome and good luck closing on the current prospect, if that's what you want.

Would you mind mentioning why you're moving from a cat (was it a sailboat?) to a trawler? Just curious.

I could have said that better, but yes I will be having a licensed surveyor do the survey, rather than just using the one done 6 weeks ago. As for "list", that would be this forum, structurally I look at these forums as "list srvs" of pre modern internet that started in the early 90's. I just still think of forums that way.

Would you mind mentioning why you're moving from a cat (was it a sailboat?) to a trawler?

Yes the cat was a sailboat.
Several reasons
I've sailing for more than 50 years, Time to change as I approach 70,
Price per sq foot of living space is much cheaper
Life should be easier with 800hp doing the work
Cover more coastal(ICW) distance easier

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom