Whats your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Visually, I think the last one is easiest to read (without the pronunciation marks). You might also play with all caps - I experimented and bold Tempus Sans font in caps has a similar look. Maybe a little darker but the font size and weight will effect readability. Nice name! Good luck!

Wow! so many opinions and advice. I would keep the same name. If it is a registered vessel, you have to pay to change the name with the Coast Guard. More importantly, I think it is bad "ju ju" to change a boat's name. The gods may not like it. :)

I can't imagine anyone doing that!:ermm: (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!:dance:
That's a great example of separating the graphic logo from the printed name such that the name remain easily legible by other boats trying to reach you or identify you. Nicely done.

More importantly, I think it is bad "ju ju" to change a boat's name. The gods may not like it. :)

I thought I was the only one who still subscribed to this old superstition. It seems most change their new boat's name--particularly if it has some innuendo, which is understandable. I kept mine cause it had a neat story and also wouldn't cause confusion on the VHF.

The ju ju in Spanish would be hu hu

I like the name. It is hard to come up with a unique name for a boat. I think the second choice looks best. I like the color but if it is hard to see you could have it outline with a darker shade.

Boat name

Just remember that if you want to document the boat the Coast Guard has very specific rules about typeface and sizes.

Yes they do, and if you ever get boarded for CG inspection they WILL tell you about it.

Boat Name

Part of the uniqueness of the name is that it has meaning to you, which this does.
Since you are spelling it phonetically, I’d leave off the marks over the letters. But if you do use the marks ——as far as the bridge logs go, I don’t think it’s necessary trying to explain what an umlaut is and where it goes.

Considering all the boat names in the local marinas, I haven’t seen that name before so you came up with one that isn’t common or complicated.
Without seeing the transom it’s hard to choose a font, I’m still trying to figure out where to put mine as the swim step ladder, hatch, and propane box don’t leave much clear space.
Being that I'm working on the bonding and live in freshwater, I haven’t done the naming ceremony yet, but look forward to that maritime tradition when the time comes. Commercial boat names change all the time; some older commercial vessels have a build name before the buyer changes it. My documented vessel has changed with each owner.
Good luck on your new boat!

PS Fishermen can be superstitious - hence biting the head off a pollock to ensure a good season is an accepted practice on one factory processor here.

Haven't read this whole thread but I could argue STRONGLY to give the boat a simple, easy to read and easy to pronounce name.

There's nothing worst that trying to read some odd ball foreign name written in reverse old handed English cursive with a background of the same color. :rolleyes:

If you actually believe what some here have posted about the Coast Guard and what they accept or not... I suggest that you go to your local Coast Guard station and ask a fairly SENIOR person with a picture of your boat name or what you want and see what they say. Do NOT ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

My research and 23 years in the USCG says they're probably going to smile and say put on whatever you want because that's what the regs say as long as they are Arabic and of the right size and of a contrasting color. They may say what exactly many of said here. simple and legible will be less trouble ......but they really can't do much about it.

I will refer you to Post 113 which contains the Coast Guard requirements from a boating site that isn't often wrong

PS :Arabic does not mean block

Last edited:
Wow all the nay sayers!!! Personally as a Vietnam Vet, I like it - we used the term Boku all the time. (As in "Dat GI boku dinky dau"). But, I like it very easy to spell phonetically. A few letters so it can be visible - and the name means something. I say "just do it" (with apologies to Nike). And........I like the first graphic as well.

PS: with over 120 vigorously expressed opinions - ya gotta let us know what you decide!!
Best to you, yours and Boku!

I like your logic. It means something to you and it's your boat. I like the third graphic best. Enjoy YOUR boat!

If you actually believe what some here have posted about the Coast Guard and what they accept or not... I suggest that you go to your local Coast Guard station and ask a fairly SENIOR person with a picture of your boat name or what you want and see what they say. Do NOT ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

My research and 23 years in the USCG says they're probably going to smile and say put on whatever you want because that's what the regs say as long as they are Arabic and of the right size and of a contrasting color. They may say what exactly many of said here. simple and legible will be less trouble ......but they really can't do much about it.

I will refer you to Post 113 which contains the Coast Guard requirements from a boating site that isn't often wrong

PS :Arabic does not mean block

Thank you. I've recently researched recreational boat naming requirements and found:

State of TX - 3" contrasting block letters/numbers with no boarder, nor decorative additions (palm trees), placed on both sides of the front half of the boat.

USCG - 4" contrasting letters/numbers, Arabic script (Roman numerals, etc.), any font, any boarder or decorative additions allowed (palm trees), placed anywhere visible on the boat. The 4" height includes hailing port.

I'm just about to order my boat name decals (It was harder than I thought to design). Good luck OP.

Todd

I like it. Out of the designs I like the middle one but it needs to be darker and contrast the hull colour.

This is the version we are going with, minus the stumps under the words.

Attachments

• Bokublue.jpg
    Bokublue.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 26
:)It is YOUR boat so you have finally made the decision!!!
:angel:

Thank you. I've recently researched recreational boat naming requirements and found:

State of TX - 3" contrasting block letters/numbers with no boarder, nor decorative additions (palm trees), placed on both sides of the front half of the boat.

USCG - 4" contrasting letters/numbers, Arabic script (Roman numerals, etc.), any font, any boarder or decorative additions allowed (palm trees), placed anywhere visible on the boat. The 4" height includes hailing port.

I'm just about to order my boat name decals (It was harder than I thought to design). Good luck OP.

Todd

Can you cite references? It honestly sounds like you might be confusing the requirements for registration numbers, not the boat name.

3"/4" boat name is going to be very difficult to read in anything but a marina.

Can you cite references? It honestly sounds like you might be confusing the requirements for registration numbers, not the boat name.

Yes, that is correct.

The state requirements given were for the Texas state TX# registration numbers (the OP was from TX). Minimum 3" in height, etc., as posted.

In contrast, the USCG documentation name regs. have a 4" minimum height requirement, etc., as posted. Lots of differing opinions on the USCG regs.

I was just comparing the two. Sorry for any confusion.

Todd

My suggestion (and it's only a suggestion - not based on anything except a really old edition of Chapman's) is to make the name and hailing port (together) take up about 1/3 of the transom height. Sounds big but from 50 yards it usually looks pretty good. Yours may need to be taller than 1/3rd because its a very vertical graphic on a horizontal transom.

Check the USCG regulations. I do believe the name must be either 4 or 5 inches in height. I have forgotten the minimum size of the letters for the home port.

Yes, that is correct.

The state requirements given were for the Texas state TX# registration numbers (the OP was from TX). Minimum 3" in height, etc., as posted.

In contrast, the USCG documentation name regs. have a 4" minimum height requirement, etc., as posted. Lots of differing opinions on the USCG regs.

I was just comparing the two. Sorry for any confusion.

Todd

No need for opinions on the CG regs. Just go read the CFRs.

This is where I recently got my info. on the USCG documentation lettering. (To avoid further confusion, NO state requirements are included in this post.)

COPIED FROM USCG SITE:

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

COPIED FROM BOATUS SITE:

Federally Documented Vessel Requirements

Character Requirements:
• Can be made by the use of any means and materials which result in durable markings.
• The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets.
Must not be less than four (4) inches in height (all characters).
• Can be on the transom or either side of the vessel.
• The vessel must have the official number permanently affixed in block-type Arabic numerals of not less than 3 inches in height, preceded by the letters “NO .” on some clearly visible interior integral structural part of the vessel.
• The "hailing port" must include a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
• Note: There is no requirement for block letters or any other restrictions to type, font, or color for federally documented vessels.

Placement & Additional Requirements:
• The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
• Many recreational vessels will place the vessel name and hailing port on the stern, and vessel name on both sides of the bow, which is required for a commercial vessel. Although not required for a recreational vessel, this is an acceptable option.
• The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be CLEARLY VISIBLE may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull.
• When dinghy’s are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the Vessel's name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only.
• Stenciling on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.
• Federal Vessel Documentation is a federal issue and is not open to enforcement or interpretation by the state.

Todd

Just for reference... USCG documented vessels are NOT required to display TX registration numbers. The only thing you have to display is the registration sticker with the year of expiration.

Back
Top Bottom