View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Comodave
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The NEC changed in 2011 and required marinas to go to ELCIs if they are new or doing major work to the electrical system. The NEC of 2017 now requires the same for residential docks. Using a clamp on meter probably is not accurate enough. The state marinas around here have computerized systems that can tell you what your leakage current is. My boat used to trip them when we bought it. The surveyor didn’t even check for it. I would plug into my dock at home where I had installed 5 mAmp GFCIs and without anything being turned on the GFCSs would trip. I decided to replace the electrical panel because I needed more circuits. I used a portable GFCI to test the boat as I worked on it. The original wiring was 2 30 amp inlets with only 1 30 amp main breaker. The other inlet was directly wired into the main bus bar. All of the neutrals were on 1 bus bar. It took a couple days of ringing out the wiring to determine which neutrals went with which hot wires. I added a second neutral bus bar and seperated the shore power 1 neutrals from the shore power 2 neutrals. A few other miscellaneous fixes and the 5 mAmp GFLCIs no longer tripped. It was a lot of work but it was worth it since we can now go to the newer wired marinas and not trip the breakers.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote