Anyone traveling across the Pacific this summer or fall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camdunning

Veteran Member
Hi all,

This is a bit of an unusual request - I'm looking to deploy a few scientific sensors in the mid-Pacific between now and March, 2020. These floating buoys will be part of a research project to measure ocean waves, wind and currents in the open ocean, with the goal of using the data to improve safety at sea (among other things). If anyone is planning a transpacific crossing during that time period, it would be a huge help if we could send a few of the buoys with you to deploy on your route.

The sensors are small and lightweight (about the size of a basketball) and can be deployed by hand, buy just throwing the buoy overboard. We cover all costs for the sensor including shipping, so there is no additional costs involved. We are targeting most of the open ocean regions (e.g. >200nm offshore) so any route would be useful. Thanks!

Cameron

Hi all,

This is a bit of an unusual request - I'm looking to deploy a few scientific sensors in the mid-Pacific between now and March, 2020. These floating buoys will be part of a research project to measure ocean waves, wind and currents in the open ocean, with the goal of using the data to improve safety at sea (among other things). If anyone is planning a transpacific crossing during that time period, it would be a huge help if we could send a few of the buoys with you to deploy on your route.

The sensors are small and lightweight (about the size of a basketball) and can be deployed by hand, buy just throwing the buoy overboard. We cover all costs for the sensor including shipping, so there is no additional costs involved. We are targeting most of the open ocean regions (e.g. >200nm offshore) so any route would be useful. Thanks!

Cameron

Very interesting. Can you say more about who's project it is, what happens to the data, etc.? Even a link to web site would be great.

Very interesting. Can you say more about who's project it is, what happens to the data, etc.? Even a link to web site would be great.

If he did he would have to kill you...
HW

If he did he would have to kill you...
HW

Oh my, not sure I'd want to carry that payload :)

Seriously though, I'm intrigued and expect people would be interested in helping, but I know I would want to know more about what I'd be helping with.

Sure thing. Here's a link to the website which shows the sensor: https://www.sofarocean.com/products/spotter

The sensors will be part of a grid of free-drifting real-time wave-current-wind observations systems in the Pacific, which will look at new assimilation strategies for global ocean weather forecast models. The goal would be to get data from regions where it doesn't currently exist (open ocean regions) and use this to improve ocean weather forecasting which can be used to improve safety at sea, weather routing, climate tracking, hurricane monitoring, etc.

We're also happy to share the data, and are working with other research groups to do so. We will have a website set up where you can see the buoy that you deployed and what the current wave and wind measurements are at that location in real time, hopefully in the near future.

Feel free to let me know of any other questions!

cam, you should go post on CruisersForum, you'll definitely get solid hits there.

Cool project.

TransPac sailing race starts tomorrow (I have a few friends doing it), but that won't work. Posting on a site that includes blue water sailors such as Cruisers Forum is another source for ocean crossers. Another one is long distance commercial fisherman, but I am not aware of their forums, if any.

Some question about your project.
Looking at your website you looks like a private company, is the goal of deploying these buoy commercial, if yes who is your customer?
Will the data collected be publicly freely available?
What data these buoys will exactly recording?
How many buoys do you plan to deploy and any particular route you are seeking for?

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom