Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Recent posts indicate Island Cove Marina in Harrison, TN (near Chatanooga) has been hit hard by a tornado.* I believe Woodsong keeps his Bayliner and Monk there.

Anyone out there with updates on the injuries or damage?* Here are some pics...

Keeping you folks in our thoughts and prayers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 480
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 592
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 528
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 197
It's bad!
Here is a pic a friend of mine snapped of my dock. I edited it to show where my boats are as they are both on the same dock:
img_5492_0_f10286954a173e898dd4bb71baec9c2d.jpg

See that houseboat in the foreground? My trawler is in the 2nd to last slip furthest from shore. That houseboat on shore is supposed to be in the slip next to my trawler, i.e. the very last slip on the dock yet there it is on shore. I am not sure yet of the extent of damage but that WAS a covered dock earlier today so the roof completely blew away. The dock that was 2 docks away from us that a lot of my friends are on...that dock is now only one dock away as the dock that used to be between us is essentially gone and the other dock moved over so I guess I have a shorter walk to see my friends? As of late this afternoon both of my boats were floating but I don't know any more than that except that I can see in the pics that the bimini and eisenglass on both my boats are seemingly gone. One friend's boat that they just bought late last summer had the aft quarters and transom totally separate from the boat above the rubrail at the junction of the rubrail.

And that pic Al posted that looks like it said Hatteras??? THAT is the entrance to my dock or at least what was the entrance to my dock.

I was supposed to be up there today but got delayed due to a lunch meeting in Atlanta. I hope to go up first thing in the morning to check on everything. I have a lot of client's boats for sale at this marina so lots of impacts.

The only good news is that it seems no one lost their lives. One of my brokers that works for me was on one of the docks as he keeps his 48' Jefferson there. He and a liveaboard were watching the storm at the end of the dock and in a matter of moments it was upon them- he didn't even have time to get back on his boat- had to grab a support post for the roof and hold on for dear life. His is the dock that is now one dock closer to me.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 2nd of March 2012 09:21:26 PM

Sorry to hear about the storm. Hopefully there was no serious injuries, you' re in our thoughts and prayers.

Best regards, Kevin and Melanie , from BC Canada

My best heartfelt wishes to you and your friends. Boats can be replaced, friends-never! I think forcast is for more unsettled weather PLEASE keep safe.

Of all the things I'worry about as a boat owner, tornado never came to mind. Wow.

Wow Tony.....So glad you're okay and your boats are still floating.* Hoping for*a quick recovery*for you and your neighbors.

Geeze, Tony. * I didn't give the thread much attention till now. *Anyway, I hope things are left to items to repair and not losses of family & friends. *When Mom Nature wants to kick butt, there is no place safe.

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 04:26:26 PM

Looks huge Tony. Really heartbreaking to see all that damage. Have you been able to assess your own boats yet?

So very sorry to read about the damage, Tony. Especially poignant as we visited you and your son and the Monk at Island Cove this past autumn. Stay strong.

Tony,

So sorry to hear and see the destruction.* Some boats look just fine and some are total trash.* Very sad to say the least.

What is the word on your two?

Tony,* Amazing how powerful these storms can be.**Glad your family was not there.

Hope your boats are okay.

JohnP

Both boats sustained damage. The integral, built in, fiberglass double helm chair on the bridge of the monk is gone (???!!!), mast sheered off, port side of bridge somewhat crushed, about half the handrail broken off, etc. etc. Interior looks fine though- no broken windows and no water intrusion. Just heart breaking.

My new boat...dinghy AND the entire dinghy davit assembly that should be on my aft flybridge are laying on my swim platform (or more accurately stated, dinghy is laying on the platform, davit is ripped out and laying on edge of the bridge, port bowrail bent, radar arch all messed up and radar dome blown to pieces, and obviously the eisenglass enclosure is completely gone. No interior damage and no water intrusion on that boat either so that is good.

I can repair the 45. I honestly don't know that I have the heart and energy to rebuild the Monk again. SO much heart and soul was poured into that boat and honestly, words could not express how sad it made me to see her yesterday like that. I just can't believe it to be honest- what are the odds?

Here are some vids I shot on our dock yesterday:

Just heartbreaking. *So much damage. *Marina will have to be totally rebuilt and my own two boats....uggghh...heartbreaking.

I have only just now read about the tornado and the damage at Island Cove Marina.. *So sad, and as you mentioned, 'hearbreaking'. *I can only say "courage, mon ami...."

Woodsong wrote:I can repair the 45. I honestly don't know that I have the heart and energy to rebuild the Monk again. SO much heart and soul was poured into that boat and honestly, words could not express how sad it made me to see her yesterday like that. I just can't believe it to be honest- what are the odds?
*Don't do it yourself hire it out.* Your insurance deductible should not be that bad as it wasn't a named storm.* Or have the insurance companies come up with a name?

On a brighter side you didn't cause this but you may be able to take advantage of the out come.* There will be new boats bought and repaired ones sold so you just need to be in that mix where you can.* Sort of turning Lemons into*Lemon Aide.

Good luck.

God, Tony.....I'm just sick in my heart for your situation. I know exactly where you are coming from when your proud restoration work is "undone". I'm with you on that inner question that says "I don't know if I can or even want to do that again". Still, at least you don't have to recover physically to even contemplate it. You're OK, your family is OK, and that temporarily depressing situation is thankfully "temporary". That is an excellent platform to heal from, but it is important to simply honor when one needs to take a few breaths before picking-up and moving forward.

Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area. *Last April, we had the worst outbreak in history that devastated many North Georgia, Alabama and SE Tennessee communities. **

My brother-in-law's boat is somewhere in that tangled wreckage at Island Cove--upside down.

My next-door neighbor's son lives about a mile from the marina. *He was pre-occupied working on a school paper and didn't know about the tornado warnings. *He was on the second floor and only had time to grab the dog and jump in a bathtub before the house exploded around him. *When he was finally able to crawl out the second floor window, it was only a 4-foot drop to the ground.

Very sorry for your losses, Tony, and for everyone who was harmed by these storms.

Tony,

Very sorry to hear the news. As you know we had a tornado rip through Deltaville last summer, unfortunantly lives were lost. Great to hear no lost souls. Boats can be repaired or replaced. Keep your chin up and count your blessings. Hey the brightside is lots of new customers for you:)

I just came from my Marina on the Tennessee River and we got hit also but nothing like Island Cove.
Last year we were hit and it completely destroyed one dock.Blew it on to the roadway in 1000's of pieces.Welll they rebuilt it and it opened about 2 months ago and it was almost completey destroyed again.About 1/3 of it looked like it was not damaged a lot.The storms were very bad for sure!!

angus99 wrote:
Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area.

And if natural global warming is indeed, upon us, will you stay and suffer the same fate every spring? These tornadoes seem to be getting stronger every year. Why would folks stay and face a similar fate annually?

Tony
I just got chance to really read this entire thread... Oh My God!* Be safe my fellow mariner and good luck in your coming years.* As you, and others that posted here, I too am very glad no lives were lost.* My best wishes to you and all at the marina!*
There is*evidence that storm patterns will increase and*severity will elevate.* The disturbing portion of global warming producing climate change is that we only know weather patterns will alter; what we dont know is exactly where and how severe the alterations will become.* There are no computers or program models yet sophisticated enough to calculate exactly what effect one change will have on the next change... in the long run, and at times in the short run too.* What we do know is that oceanic currents and atmospheric jet streams are already altering and will continue to be affected; as will the actual content-item ratios of the oceans and atmosphere.* It can be likened to untold millions of dominoes having been set-up into relatively stable equilibrium-positions for thousands of years, and, that due to new quickly occurring circumstances (natural global warming expedited by anthropogenic developments) they can no longer maintain their positions but rather are now subject to being alternately tipped or pivoted in any direction singularly or in mass and will in someway affect each other as various sections fall or change attitude.* The variables are too complex for even the biggest computers and best programmers to calculate... at least at this stage of the process.* This and next decades are going to become very interesting, to say the least.*
Good luck to you and everyone!
Art*

THanks all for the well wishes. Yes, at least no one died and we are all ok. It looks like i may be able to extract my 45 from the rubble tomorrow morning. The trawler will not be able to be moved til they can clear the steel beams off it but at least the 45 does not have anything physically laying on it right now.
I frankly am alternating between my usual optimistic self and thinking no big deal, it will work out, it always does, God is in control, etc. to my "OH MY! What am I going to do??!!" It is one thing to have one boat damaged. It is one thing to have 2 boats damaged. It is one thing to have my brokerage firm impacted via lost sales and damaged inventory. It is an entirely different thing to have ALL those issues looking right at me.

When I look at this picture of my 4550 though it just sends chills up my spine and I can't believe what I am looking at is my boat:

423992_379140338763296_284081531602511_1424992_1860433738_n.jpg

Tony, that is a terrible sight. *I think I caught a glimpse of your Monk at the end of the dock in the Chattanooga.com video. *How extensive is the damage there?

I was thinking about you and your family as we watched to storms moving through the Woodstock area. *It is so good that you are all safe, but you have suffered a hard lick.

If you need some place to stay in Chattanooga while you sort this out, please let me know.

All I can say Tony is "WOW"!!!!*this is dis-hearting to say the least.

Where I live in Newfoundland we get the tail end of most of the hurricanes that*come up the Eastern Coastline but it is always so mild that it is like a good wind blowing with a little rain.*

These Tornadoes are heading our way too but again is only showing up as nothing other than a good winter's storm.

If I were living close and could get the time off, I would most definitely head down South to help out.*

Just hope there isn't as much damage as it looks on these pictures.*

Elwin

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 4th of March 2012 09:10:58 PM

The National WEather Service has classified the storm as an EF-3 tornado with winds of 165 mph. *Devistating! *Not much will stand up to that.

Tony:

Although thousands of miles away, your misfortune hits us all very hard. Your 45 looks like it came through in great shape, especially considering the extent of the carnage around it. The fact that both boats came through without being pushed under by the collapsed roofs, or holed by flying steel beams, is remarkable.

I have followed your extensive refit of the Monk and have applauded every detail that you shared.

I am confident that you will rise to the new challenges.

Tony, hate to hear of the damage & your future burdens, both personal & business.

I was delinquent complimenting you on your delivery trip of your new boat to her home port. It was the type of adventure we hope to enjoy & now, hope you experience*again very soon.*

-- Edited by HeyJude on Sunday 4th of March 2012 10:23:51 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:
Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area.

And if natural global warming is indeed, upon us, will you stay and suffer the same fate every spring? These tornadoes seem to be getting stronger every year. Why would folks stay and face a similar fate annually?
Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons. *(And I'll pass on debating whether this is "natural" or not.) *Cheers!

Tony.

There are no words to convey the sadness that comes to me when I see the pictures of your loss.* I was about a hundred miles north of your boats in Cookeville TN, picking up my son to bring him home for spring break from Tenn Tech U when the tornado's hit.* I seen some ugly weather the but nothing like what you got hit with.* I was watching the news on Saturday morning in my Hotel room in Nashvillle on the way back to Iowa when I heard that a tornado hit just North of Chattanooga.* I thought of your boats being there, but never dreamed the reality could be as bad as it is.* At least, thank God nobody died.* Good luck to you.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom