Heads Up Alaska Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the time I went through this baloney with Louisiana (2011?) The state required the sticker to be displayed with the #. Violation to display sticker alone. I just pay my $ and throw the sticker, envelope and all, in the boats document binder.

It is illegal, a violation of USCG rules to display numbers on a documented boat.

It is illegal, a violation of USCG rules to display numbers on a documented boat.

A documented vessel used for commercial fishing displays very large numbers in some states. It would seem AK is now requiring AK based commercial fishing vessels to display boat registration numbers if I follow ASD’s posts correctly.

Commercial fishing numbers (permit numbers) aren't the same as registration numbers.

If Alaska decides the AK registration number is the same as a "permit number", I doubt the USCG will care, the numbers are different size and location and represent a different requirement.

Plus I am not positive, but the "large permit numbers" may only be fed permits only.

Last edited:
Florida has been doing the same thing for years. You don't have to put registration numbers on the boat, just display the sticker that you've contributed to the state coffers. Just under $200 for "Slow Hand " per year.

Ted

$4 a year if boat is older than 30 years. Google Florida antique boat registration........

Last edited:
$4 a year if boat is older than 30 years. Google Florida antique boat registration........
Except he re powered his boat with I believe is a substantially different engine...may disqualify him

Except he re powered his boat with I believe is a substantially different engine...may disqualify him

Good question! The law states similar power if repowered, but does not clarify what that means. I’d argue that replacing a Detroit with a Cummins would be similar since they are both turbo-diesels. But it would depend upon current administrative interpretation of the regulations, case law, so to speak.

Good question! The law states similar power if repowered, but does not clarify what that means. I’d argue that replacing a Detroit with a Cummins would be similar since they are both turbo-diesels. But it would depend upon current administrative interpretation of the regulations, case law, so to speak.

right off the Florida application form…

www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87243.pdf

"A. Original Type Power Plant - Engine of same year and model that the vessel had originally.

now whether you are ever checked is a different story....

Good catch, I think I never bothered to look on the back for the definition.

A documented vessel used for commercial fishing displays very large numbers in some states. It would seem AK is now requiring AK based commercial fishing vessels to display boat registration numbers if I follow ASD’s posts correctly.

Those are fishing permit numbers not state registration numbers. I repeat, the USCG does not allow registration numbers to be put on a boat.

ASD is referring to state registration for all boats. Previously it was not required for documented vessels. No numbers will be required for documented vessels, just decals like most other states.

Texas has the same requirement. State registration, but only the sticker required on the front half of the boat (positioned stern of the USCG name). The states started doing this to collect taxes on documented vessels (and now it's an annual tax).

Todd

So just for clarity, States can "register" documented boats to keep tabs on them, collect fees, or whatever, HOWEVER....

Federal law prohibits them from placing registration numbers on the boat. So you will never see state bow numbers on a documented boat.

And federal law prohibits states from titling documented boats. For obvious reasons, you don't want more than one title for a boat, or a house, or a car, etc., and you documentation certificate is your title.

States can, and I think most do, require that you put a registration sticker on the boat to make it readily evident that the boat is registered.

So just for clarity, States can "register" documented boats to keep tabs on them, collect fees, or whatever, HOWEVER....

Federal law prohibits them from placing registration numbers on the boat. So you will never see state bow numbers on a documented boat.

And federal law prohibits states from titling documented boats. For obvious reasons, you don't want more than one title for a boat, or a house, or a car, etc., and you documentation certificate is your title.

States can, and I think most do, require that you put a registration sticker on the boat to make it readily evident that the boat is registered.

Perfect.

Every Alaskan boat over 24 feet (?) that is documented under the USCG and is in the State for 90 days must register the vessel with the State DMV and display the registration stickers on the bow sides. You are also issued state numbers but are not required to be displayed. Just the the registration sticker is required to be displayed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom