Removing the old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
I believe our boats name is painted on, and I'm wondering whats the best way to remove it? I'm sure sanding is going to be involved, but can you sand it without ruining the underlying gel coat?

Attachments

• IMG_8251.jpg
    IMG_8251.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8252.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 48
Gel coat safe paint remover is available at marine stores. That's what I'd use. No sanding.

Ken

I'd try a heat gun / hair dryer first... some vinyl graphics will deteriorate like the pics w UV exposure. I've seen RVs w vinyl "crazing" like that.
If not. Try oven cleaner. I've removed painted on names w it before.
Takes a couple applications and patience but it works on some paints.
Cleaner/ compound for final cleanup. 1200 grit wet & dry if necessary before compound if a raised shadow visible. The new name over old will tend to hide any remaining shadow affect.

Last edited:
I have had success with a sharp scraper on gelcoat.

Gel coat safe paint remover is available at marine stores. That's what I'd use. No sanding.

Ken

Oh yeah yeah yeah..... I forgot about that stuff. I once used it to remove paint off the hard top of my old 1967 Chris Craft.

Attachments

• 4563060_LRG.10122018030007.jpg
    4563060_LRG.10122018030007.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 46
I have always used regular pair stripper with no ill results. I am careful tothe not wait too long and neutralize with lots of water.

Try a small spot first. It is much quicker and far cheaper than "marine" stripper especially for the amount you have to do.

Rob

If it’s painted on gelcoat use Easyoff oven cleaner. If it’s vinly then use a heat gun. If it’s paint on paint it depends on what the base coat is.

I think it paint on gel coat. If its vinyl, it's been melted in quite good because there isn't any edges to peel. The topside has never been painted.

Easyoff oven cleaner is what you want to use. I know it sounds odd but we’ve tried just about everything and nothing has worked any better. If base coat is Awlgrip you can use Easyoff as well. I don’t know about other base paints.

You are going to have a shadow on the gel coat where the old name was. I suspect you are going to end up painting the transom anyway to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom