Cheoy Lee Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
Old Stone wrote:
Lotta money for a wood house. Strange lines.
*Ditto on the "Strange Lines". I don't like the exterior. Sans canvas, it might look better, or maybe worse. i can't tell. I will say however that I like the full width saloon. The interior might make up for the exterior. Not likely, but...

Cheoy Lee has been building commercial and private boats for 140 years.* A fellow and his wife rented the end tie at our marina in Vallejo, California*for several months.* They had a 50-something Cheoy Lee that they motored from Florida via Panama Canal, Galapagos Islands, etc.* They have since departed Vallejo on their way to Hawaii and beyond.

His boat had much more pleasing lines, single engine, and, of course, large fuel tanks which he claimed*gave him a range of about 4,000 miles.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Thursday 1st of March 2012 02:57:42 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Thursday 1st of March 2012 03:06:01 PM

I saw one of these last year when we were hot and heavy in shopping mode and fell in love but......the $$$ was outside our budget esp. for a 35'er that age. BUT the house had much nicer lines. Wonder why they put the windows so far forward on this one when it was redone??

Greetings,
To the best of my knowledge, Cheoy Lee boats were NOT built in Taiwan. Started in Hong Kong then moved to PRC (Pearl River I think).

** That being said, strange lines indeed and twins in a 35'.* I'm always leery of a boat listing with no ER pictures but maybe there was no room to put in a camera.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Thursday 1st of March 2012 03:04:30 PM

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Thursday 1st of March 2012 03:06:45 PM

Cheoy Lee is not a Tiawanese builder but rather started in Shanghai and later moved to Hong Kong and now back to mainland China. Its reputation for quality is closer to Grand Banks than most TT. Lot's of oceangoing boats, both sail and power, big and small. A brief history of the company is*at:

http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/WebMisc/Doug/history.htm

They built an attractive 35-ft sedan trawler (not Europa), probably on the same hull as this not-so-lovely pilothouse. I would attach a pdf file of the brochure for the sedan but can't seem to figure out how.****

Giggitoni wrote:
His boat had much more pleasing lines, single engine, and, of course, large fuel tanks which he claimed*gave him a range of about 4,000 miles.
******* Those are the model Cheoy Lees that I'm familiar with. There's one in the next marina west of me that I would like to get my hands on. They are very high quality vessels and don't come cheap.

I own a 31' Cheoy Lee Monterey Clipper troller built in 1963. She's wood construction and the hull is strip planked, edge nailed with copper nails and remains all original. They were a quality builder back then and even more so today.

Conrad, thanks for the research. Your find is certainly what the boat looked once upon a time. Wonder who would butcher it for the added "pilot house" look ??

Confirms my thought that it might have been built to a Europen spec.* I've seen several Linssen steel-hulls on Yachtworld with similar lines.

-- Edited by ARoss on Thursday 1st of March 2012 08:16:09 PM

Old Stone wrote:
*Could have fooled me.* Doesn't look like a wooden boat to these eyes.

markpierce wrote:Old Stone wrote:
*Could have fooled me.* Doesn't look like a wooden boat to these eyes.

Go to the link on the original post. The house is glass over mahogany.

Here is a link to some info on some of the smaller CL trawlers including*this boat (36 Mark II) and the 35 sedan:

http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/Power/Powertrawler3.htm

There was a 35 Sedan for sale a year or so ago when I was shopping. It was $50k +/- and seemed in decent shape for the age.

I know that boat well. She first caught my eye on a creek of the St Marys River in Md back six or seven years ago. She didn't have all the canvas and looked quite sharp (I took several pictures). I saw them again two years ago and got a tour of the boat. She is very sharp and the owners are a neet older couple who had cruised her for years. Sorry to see they've dropped anchor.

Yes, there's a good example of tjhe 35 sedan version moored just a few fingers from me - in fact the PO of my boat bought it after he sold the Clipper to me - it has since changed hands several times since. That boat above has the same hull lines all right, but the pilothouse cabin looks like a custom built departure from their norm.

Cheoy Lee also have a yard in Singapore.
Was recently on a small (50 mtr) anchor handler that ws built by them in Singapore.
One of the nicest finnished work boats I have ever been on.
They do a very good line in LRC from 50 to over 60'
Still in production if my thinking is right.

Al, that's an interesting vessel. *I should have read the rest of the thread before I removed the canvas to actually see the lines. *Here, compared to the other unit Conrad found, you can still see some differences, not the least of which is the forward raked windshield. *Being a connoisseur of odd or awkward boats, I couldn't help but recall the profile of Maverick, shown here below.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,067
healhustler wrote:
Al, that's an interesting vessel. *I should have read the rest of the thread before I removed the canvas to actually see the lines. *Here, compared to the other unit Conrad found, you can still see some differences, not the least of which is the forward raked windshield. *Being a connoisseur of odd or awkward boats, I couldn't help but recall the profile of Maverick, shown here below.
hustler, ** I suggest that many would put your Manatee in that category also!
smile.gif

There is alot to be said for a wide body boat, that you can get around on. Picking up 2-3 feet inside the saloon and galley area makes a huge difference. So far we have learned you work, without the abilty to walk down the side of the deck. I'd much rather have the inside living space everyday, then the walk around on those limited days when it would be handy. But then again I live aboard every day, and boats can get small very quickly if you let them.

In contrast and not a liveaboard, I don't miss the decrease of inboard space to permit 360-degree decks.* Such decks were in the top "got-to-haves" in selecting my boat.* The decks are handy when moving around boat while docking, setting/adjusting sails, washing boat,*etcetera.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 2nd of March 2012 03:27:07 PM

Attachments

• dockyard stern view.jpg
    dockyard stern view.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 370
ARoss wrote:healhustler wrote:
**Being a connoisseur of odd or awkward boats, I couldn't help but recall the profile of Maverick, shown here below.
hustler, ** I suggest that many would put your Manatee in that category also!
smile.gif

*LOL, you are so right, Al. *I prefer to think about the Manatee as a "character" boat with function over form, but I don't mind when people call it odd. *I confess that I was once a truck collector too. *If you had seen my last restoration, you'd know that my eye for looks hasn't improved much. *I dearly love the "odd". *Better yet.....give me the oddest example of the "odd" and I'd probably be happier, just as long as there is beauty hiding somewhere.

healhustler wrote:*I dearly love the "odd". *Better yet.....give me the oddest example of the "odd" and I'd probably be happier, just as long as there is beauty hiding somewhere.
******** Do you ever post a photo of the wife & kids?*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

healhustler wrote:
*Is it me, or is that vessel much better looking without the canvas? Lose the flybridge enclosure, and I could like it. The wannabee windows don't help at all in this case. IMHO!

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 2nd of March 2012 11:32:53 PM

In case anyone's still on the lookout for a smaller Cheoy Lee trawler I spotted this one on CL in Oregon for $49k:

Attachments

• cl36.jpg
    cl36.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom