34' Californian - Advice on purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truenorth

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and hope to be moving up to a little bigger boat. I currently own a 28' Carver Santacruz with twin OMC inboards. I'm looking to purchase a nice looking 1984 34' Californian boat with twin 454 Crusader engines with 1200 hours on them. The boat is overall in great shape and just needs a lot of cleaning and waxing. I haven't had it inspected or had a sea trial yet. Would $25k be an acceptable price to pay? Any advice on what to look for. It's been in fresh water and has aluminum fuel tanks since I've read the fuel tanks can leak.

Thanks for any advice!

Truenorth

Welcome aboard from Au Gres, MI. There are several Californian 34 owners on here that can give you some advice. Good luck.

Most of what you read on this forum is about slow boats with reasonable fuel economy. This is the distinction between a displacement hull and a planing hull.

That boat is not slow. With a clean hull, probably plane about 30gph, 15+mph, just guessing. WOT, don't even want to think about it.

The market for old gas guzzlers is tight. Don't expect people to line up to buy it at any price. Completed auctions on eBay might give you an idea of real sales.

I do think Californians are very pretty boats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom