!978 Puget Trawler deck pitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

szerby

Vessel Name
Stella
Vessel Make
Puget Trawler
Hello everyone - I am new to this forum, so please excuse if I am posting incorrectly at all, I will learn.

We have a 1978 Puget Trawler 44, with the usual leaks etc. The PO replaced the windows with a modern style already.

The issue I'm tracking down is rot appearing inside between the salon and the captains quarters. I believe it is cause by a poor design, or construction of the midship deck (I'm not great with names, hopefully I got that right). I have added show arrows to this image to help show the flow. The other image shows one the corners. The yellow is some epoxy that was someone's attempt to stop the leaks.

I am considering building up mid-deck with new fiberglass to reshape it to flow better towards the back. Has anyone else here done something like this? I'm wondering is I can build on top of the existing fiberglass, or if one needs to got deeper and remove the old glass completely?

Attachments

• stella mid.jpg
    stella mid.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6902.jpg
    IMG_6902.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I tried the same thing, building up a couple low spots to create a better drainage. And it worked! (Sometimes my ideas surprise me...)

However, I did it wrong. I was fiberglassing at the time, and whenever I had some left over resin I would pour it into the corner I was trying to raise. Eventually covered it with paint and KiwiGrip. A couple seasons later and the edges have lifted, so I'll need to fix/redo. It is, however, still working in that water no longer pools up in the corners.

The moral of the story is you should ask someone who knows what they're doing. I imagine that someone will even respond here...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom