Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 AM   #20
MurrayM
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Some good advice here Murray. OCDiver mentioned the solar panel option, and from my experience up your way, I really think you should consider it. You will rethink how many batteries are necessary. I’m contemplating reducing the amount of lead I carry in the house bank as we seldom drop below 90% SOC in summer months. With a 250 amp hour daily demand, 435 watts of panels together with travelling , we almost never need to run the genny, except for hot water when at anchor.
Yup, a solar panel is also in the plan, although somewhat smaller than yours.

Quote:
I think you could safely just use the house bank for starting, or perhaps just go down to a single, smaller group 24 for starting, proving you have an ACR or other unit for charging the starter battery. A 4D has to be overkill for your engine.
The 4D is what the boat came with, and I was so new to boating at the time that I just replaced what was there. Would prefer a single bank.

Quote:
I would first test test the waters with your winter cruising plans and see whether they materialize. I think you will really need a genny for that option. Heat will be an issue and we find we are happiest at the dock in winter, particularly with getting a dog/dogs to shore. Solar isn’t really useful in winter in BC.
We used to sea kayak in the winter, so having to tough it out next to a diesel heater with a coffee in my hand and a warm place to take a crap doesn't seem daunting at all

Will definitely try to avoid those -15C to -20C cold snaps with northerly outflow winds though...we could get frozen into an anchorage for a couple weeks!