Timing Crusader Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srock

I have a Carver with crusader marine engines (1983). I'm looking for the line up markings that puts the fuel injection in time with the cam and crank shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Carver with crusader marine engines (1983). I'm looking for the line up markings that puts the fuel injection in time with the cam and crank shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Huh?

Does this engine have a mechanical fuel injection system? Is it throttle body injection or port FI?

Doing what you ask is understandable for a diesel engine, but not for a gas engine.

Does it have a distributor? If it does you should see the marks on the lower crankshaft check behind the lower pulley may even be on the harmonic balancer.

If it has coil packs and no distributor I do not think there is a timing setting.

1983? Might be on the flywheel but there will definitely be timing marks. White-out, if its still made, is a good product to put on the timing marks.

I thought a crusader were gas jobs. Not a 9.0 international diesel. My mistake

Every Crusader I've ever seen was a chevy 350. I've seen a bunch of them. I thought Crusader was a name for a marinized chevy 350 until this thread.

Gas crusaders were mostly small block Chevy 350 or big block Chevy 454. The 454’s were 350 hp and often referred to as Crusader 350’s as well.

I’ve heard of a diesel Crusader but never seen one. A Deer with Crusader marinization sounds attractive as the Crusader cooling systems were always a cut above.

Crusader, to the best of my knowledge, only made gas engines, but they made a number of different sizes, not just 350's (5.7). I've got 8.1's in my Carver. Back in the day, they made a boatload of 7.4's and I believe a couple of sizes below 5.7's, but I'm almost positive, all gassers.

Last edited:
The Int'l 9.0 diesel was a truck engine. It was made up to the late 1980s and mostly used in box delivery trucks and some harvesting equipment. I guess Crusader was looking for a diesel and made a deal. International also made the Ford F-250 7.3 diesel. And that engine was marinized by MCA that was bought by Mercury.

9.0 Diesel

Crusader, to the best of my knowledge, only made gas engines, but they made a number of different sizes, not just 350's (5.7). I've got 8.1's in my Carver. Back in the day, they made a boatload of 7.4's and I believe a couple of sizes below 5.7's, but I'm almost positive, all gassers.

This is a 9.0 diesel. They made them for only a few years. Any help finding the timing marks would be helpful.

Wouldn't the timing be in the high pressure pump? Is there a adjustable timing on a diesel? I thought they were set when put together. From what I've seen the timing is internal or got to look inside the motor. Pull out number 1 injector find top dead center and see what you see. Timing Mark's may be inside by high pressure fuel pump I'm gonna assume it's a gear driven pump and the shot of fuel by the high pressure fuel pump as the cylinder reaches top dead center is your ignition. From the high compression it heats up the air and the fine spray of fuel detonates. There is no electric ignition system. Best bet find a service book on that block.

Side note I used to lug and beat up on a 7.3L loved that old international motor.

Diesel motors don't have timing marks like a gas motor. All the injection is done with the pump which is timed with the gears in the front of the engine and are not accessible unless you are doing a rebuild. If doing a rebuild then you need to look at the manufactures books for the proper location of marks on timing gears. Most mechanical injection pumps fire the injector 70 degrees before top dead center.

Is the 9.0 the same as the DT 466? If so I've driven them on land. Heck of a inline 6 workhorse that I had the pleasure to run in a MD application.

Is the 9.0 the same as the DT 466?

The dt466 is an inline 6 . As is the DT 350.

It might be the unsung engine of choice for many repowers , as they are found in Skool buses that are replaced after a crash , usually not repaired.

They rival Detroit in robustness , and parts to marinize them can be had , if needed.

Std SAE flywheel mounts so the tranny of your choice can be fitted.

Last I saw an under 5,000 mile engine was under $4,000 US.

Sadly the new engines are electronic injection , the earlier were mechanical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom