CT Tax on Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwasko

Tanked up today and discovered that Connecticut is now adding sales tax to marine fuel sales...

Tanked up today and discovered that Connecticut is now adding sales tax to marine fuel sales...

Based upon my experience, many years ago, dont refuel in the state of NY and especially in NYC, unless you like to pay many different taxes on the fuel.

Based upon my experience, many years ago, dont refuel in the state of NY and especially in NYC, unless you like to pay many different taxes on the fuel.
I don't care what taxes are charged. I only care what the pump price per gallon is. Consult the Waterway Guide for current prices at most marinas and plan your purchases accordingly.

Please, think of the poor people of CT and NY and CA and ...:smitten:
They need every cent you can give them.:eek:
Look at all they have done for boaters in your respective state.:confused:
Oh, can't think of anything, well, they need your money anyway.:banghead:

Will be heading toward Maine next summer. I love my 2,000 mile range. :D

Ted

Please, think of the poor people of CT and NY and CA and ...:smitten:
They need every cent you can give them.:eek:
Look at all they have done for boaters in your respective state.:confused:
Oh, can't think of anything, well, they need your money anyway.:banghead:

don't forget Washington!

HOLLYWOOD

A couple years ago New Jersey slapped a 35cent per gallon tax on gas to fix the roads. Somehow it has been applied to Marine fuel. Now they are considering raising it--The roads still Suck. I really try to only fuel our boat in neighboring States. Making sure to top up before returning to NJ waters. NJ used to have the cheapest fuel--NO MORE!!

Where are all the "cost of fuel is hardly anything" types that always o up in fuel efficiency threads? :)

A couple years ago New Jersey slapped a 35cent per gallon tax on gas to fix the roads. Somehow it has been applied to Marine fuel. Now they are considering raising it--The roads still Suck. I really try to only fuel our boat in neighboring States. Making sure to top up before returning to NJ waters. NJ used to have the cheapest fuel--NO MORE!!

Gotta fix those potholes in the canals and ocean.

Where are all the "cost of fuel is hardly anything" types that always o up in fuel efficiency threads? :)

I'm still here LOL

In years past a Ct resident could fill out a tax form and get a refund on the road tax portion of the fuel you bought.
I did this a few times, but recently I don't use enough to bother, plus now I am no longer a Ct resident.

I suspect the sales tax has always been there, but was built into the pump price. Now it appears it is an add on. That it the way it is here in Maine - pump price plus sales tax at the marina. I have found that people tend to buy based on pump price (independent of sales tax being built in or added on, so pump price tends to be what is advertised. Since my boat uses very little fuel I buy my diesel at the gas station where the taxes are in the pump price rather than at the marina where the pump price is the same but the sales tax is an add on. I don't mind lugging a couple of jerry cans to the boat 2-3 times a season. It helps that my diesel fills are old and the new nozzles won't fit in them. Because of that the marina doesn't want me at the fuel dock for half an hour for 10 gallons of fuel (I have to use a funnel to put fuel in the boat with their high output nozzles and it is almost impossible not to spill some fuel).

You sure they haven’t always?

They have always taxed fuel in CT.

Connecticut

Connecticut applies a tax to motor fuel. If you used more than 200 gallons of gasoline or diesel fuel during last year for recreational boating, you may apply for a partial refund of that tax before May 31st of this year.

Print the form (AU-724) at the Department of Revenue Services' website at http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1509&q=449724#mvftr.

Once completed, attach either a copy or the original of each invoice and mail the forms to:

State of Connecticut
Department of Revenue Services
Excise/Public Services Taxes Subdivision
25 Sigourney St
Hartford CT 06106-5032

If you have questions, call the DRS at (860) 541-3224, or Connecticut calls (outside the Greater Hartford calling area only) toll-free at (800) 382-9463.

Thanks Shrew. I forgot about the 200 gal minimum that must have been why I hadn't bothered in recent years cause I don't use that much.

I don’t know why but the norm in Washington marina’s is for the Gas pump to have the price of all taxes and fees included. At the end of the year you can apply to have road fees returned. The diesel pump has no fees included and they add a sales tax to the pump price when you pay.

Will be heading toward Maine next summer. I love my 2,000 mile range. :D

Ted

Gee Ted, I hope you get there before winter sets in. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself :blush:).

CT is loosing residents daily , so taxing those left is their alternative.

Gee Ted, I hope you get there before winter sets in. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself :blush:).

It feels like we are not going to have summer this year. I was out yesterday and it was in the high 50s. My wife turned the heat on in the boat to stay warm.

I may be slow, but I've passed you 4 times in the last 8 months. But then Dock Queens are never tough to pass. ;)

Ted

Some fuel docks in NC bill separately for sales tax as some vessels are exempt from paying it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom