• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

54' Canoe Stern Trawler by Sparkman & Stephens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akdadio

Veteran Member
I saw this boat on trawler forum before I became her 3rd owner. I knew I had to have her as soon as I saw her lines, that she was US built and Fiberglass Construction. I've enjoyed this boat for long range cruising, she is well accommodated and very well behaved. I'm giving the fsbo route a go so please feel free to message me directly if you are interested in information. I'm currently working my way up through NE US via C&D, NYC, Long Island and on to Cape Cod so perhaps a city near you.

Please see link below for photos and info:

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1985-sparkman-and-stephens-canoe-stern-trawler-103597899/

Attachments

• SIde shot.JPG
    SIde shot.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 741
  • DSC_0976.jpg
    DSC_0976.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 694
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_5643.jpg
    IMG_5643.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_5661.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
She's a beaut, Clark!

Seriously. Very nice. Is she stabilized? I like my drinks stable. ��

She has considerably less roll than most fellow boaters I see when anchored. She does not have active stabilization, only "bilge keels". The link to the sales ad has pics, they are substantial, about 22' long.

Beautiful boat! My wife approves! We are huddled inside our little boat in Marsh Harbour dodging rain storms.

This is a lot of boat for $197,000. And capable of doing the canal to the other coast for you left coasters.

Looks really nice; love the lines. How much does she draw? Is the 18’ air clearance with the mast down?

I can't decide which word to use to describe this vessel.

A. Awesome
B. Incredible
C. Gorgeous

So I think I'll add D. All the Above!

It's so nice nobody has said anything about the lack of engine room photos!

It's so nice nobody has said anything about the lack of engine room photos!

To say the ad is lacking details would be a understatement!

Also whats up with 450G fuel cap.?

Hollywood

Lovely looking vessel but as a full time cruiser/live aboard who very rarely uses a marina, I always wonder how you get out of the water if swimming and get out of the dinghy with groceries, dinghy fuel/gas bottles etc.

I always wonder how you get out of the water if swimming and get out of the dinghy with groceries, dinghy fuel/gas bottles etc.

Climbing up a ladder from a bouncing dinghy onto a rolling boat is not grand. But my cousin on his old sailboat built a small 2ft square platform that folded down on his side boarding ladder, just above water height. Basically a portable swim platform.

I like side platforms - less motion. Am getting tired of boarding after a dive from the stern, which is always bouncing up and down even at anchor.

Gorgeous vessel. I’d look good in it.

Looks really nice; love the lines. How much does she draw? Is the 18’ air clearance with the mast down?

She draws 4’ 6” and the air draft is 18’8” with mast up but both VHF antennas folded down.

Climbing up a ladder from a bouncing dinghy onto a rolling boat is not grand. But my cousin on his old sailboat built a small 2ft square platform that folded down on his side boarding ladder, just above water height. Basically a portable swim platform.

I like side platforms - less motion. Am getting tired of boarding after a dive from the stern, which is always bouncing up and down even at anchor.

I have a rigid boarding ladder with fold down platform that does help with the comfort of boarding the dink. I have my 70 year old mom on board and she is managing fine with something solid. I will get a photo of the arrangement (when not underway and in heavy fog) and post it.

In my experience if the waves are bad enough to make boarding the dink an issue then its not dink weather. And in that kind of weather boats that have swim platforms are seeing their platform awash. Or they are fighting to keep the dink from going inder the platform. My real world experience on such matters.

Is the tankage in the ad correct? 450 fuel and 500 water? How much does she displace and what's the draft?

To say the ad is lacking details would be a understatement!

Also whats up with 450G fuel cap.?

Hollywood

As to photos of the engine room, I will get some posted..... when Everything non essential (like bikes, trailer, scooters, spare parts) are taken out of it.

To the question of fuel capacity. It may hold over 500 gallons but mind you I don’t care. I’m burning 2.6 gph as I type according to my floscan and doing 7.5 knots. I’m not crossing the Atlantic.

A couple years ago I ran from Brunswick GA to Manhasset Bay Long Island NY (almost 1300 miles) on 392 gallons of diesel and that included any gen set time.

There is capacity for more tankage for a buyer who finds it necessary.

Is the tankage in the ad correct? 450 fuel and 500 water? How much does she displace and what's the draft?

I believe the tankage is accurate with the additional comments about fuel posted above.

USCG docs say 42 tons.

Here are pics of the boarding ladder for Esprit.

Attachments

• 98E15EC5-D21C-4BE4-AE23-EC23199CA886.jpg
    98E15EC5-D21C-4BE4-AE23-EC23199CA886.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 215
As to photos of the engine room, I will get some posted..... when Everything non essential (like bikes, trailer, scooters, spare parts) are taken out of it.

To the question of fuel capacity. It may hold over 500 gallons but mind you I don’t care. I’m burning 2.6 gph as I type according to my floscan and doing 7.5 knots. I’m not crossing the Atlantic.

A couple years ago I ran from Brunswick GA to Manhasset Bay Long Island NY (almost 1300 miles) on 392 gallons of diesel and that included any gen set time.

There is capacity for more tankage for a buyer who finds it necessary.

Its a great looking boat, I'm not saying anything negative about the boat at all.. fast fwd a couple of years and I would fly out to take a look at it.

But...

An ad for a boat it targeted at the buyer.. it doesn't matter what you feel is pertinent info.. if I was looking at that boat I would expect a minimum of 1000g for its size. So its' unusual to have so little capacity. If it's built as well as it appears its looks like a great candidate for a real blue water boat alternative to a Nordy of a Krogen at a great price. Capacity allows a skipper to choose when to get fuel and allows for longer passages.. both very important on a boat her size. You can bet the users of this forum always ask for ER pics.. even if the bikes and stuff make it look cluttered real buyers will look right through/past that stuff to see what they are looking for.
I'm not trying to be negative towards you at all.. just its so important when trying to sell a unique boat such as yours to give prospective buyers every bit of info possible to make a sale happen.

I wish I was ready to get into another boat.. I would be there looking at her.
HOLLYWOOD

Your boat is nothing short of stunning. Agree with the engine room comments. Feel the true quality of a boat is demonstrated below the decks. My life includes my dog, and I am not sure how he navigates to the water. I suppose there is a solution to every problem. Possibly a swinging gang plank with a platform at the bottom, but this would likely destroy the lines of this incredibly beautiful one off yacht. I assume it is a one off. Thank you for sharing this with us. You must be proud. I would give my right arm for that boat, but sadly all I have to offer is my Bertram 35 and my right arm. Someone is going to get a true jewel and piece of maritime art/history.

Last edited:
Door to engine room, then taking a sweep of photos from port to starboard. The height is sufficient to sit at a stool comfortably. Again, I am underway and utilizing most of the space for storage.

Attachments

• 9F449C2F-6FA7-4C5A-8E3D-C7E99A342B43.jpg
    9F449C2F-6FA7-4C5A-8E3D-C7E99A342B43.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 218
  • AF03978F-594B-4F26-80D7-646B113E77FB.jpg
    AF03978F-594B-4F26-80D7-646B113E77FB.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 2841DD17-D37A-48B0-823B-9999EEC2F0A3.jpg
    2841DD17-D37A-48B0-823B-9999EEC2F0A3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 38FC6CA1-41E5-4AA5-AADD-E58ED188770A.jpg
    38FC6CA1-41E5-4AA5-AADD-E58ED188770A.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 247
  • D4523E48-DE68-4529-8AC7-A3E73195294C.jpg
    D4523E48-DE68-4529-8AC7-A3E73195294C.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 16BA24B7-256E-4870-A23D-5610F9A2F8D1.jpg
    16BA24B7-256E-4870-A23D-5610F9A2F8D1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 236
Electrical Panel in Pilothouse for navigation and main panel below next to engine room access.

Attachments

• 8D7A6D13-932C-4CE3-9437-B77D0AEB6886.jpg
    8D7A6D13-932C-4CE3-9437-B77D0AEB6886.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 90A46CCB-5C8E-4EAF-A598-DD38ECE0C23E.jpg
    90A46CCB-5C8E-4EAF-A598-DD38ECE0C23E.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 180
  • E86FC3D6-9AAE-4469-8AB7-2628A299801B.jpg
    E86FC3D6-9AAE-4469-8AB7-2628A299801B.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 185
How come the Boattrader pictures lockup after just a couple of frames? Anyone else having this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom