Goodbye Middle East - Hello America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Just left the Middle East after more than a decade in Qatar, UAE, Syria, India, Vietnam and probably some other places I can't quite remember. Settling into Atlanta for now and will see what the next adventure brings. My kids grew up overseas so now they get a chance to learn more about America and get to know family better. Planning a trip to D.C. this summer - even I haven't seen the Smithsonian in decades.

Won't miss the 120 degree heat or the burning oil tankers either, but will miss my little green MAKO.

Bye to my little Qatari boat :(

Attachments

• Ad 1.JPG
    Ad 1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 54
Talk about culture shock :D

Lots of Panga's in Mexico, and they're making them in Florida as well I believe.

Welcome to the USA!

With your interest in boating, you may want to consider somewhere closer to the water that Atlanta.

Welcome back home! It is a hard transition back to life in the US, but you will get through it. It will just take some time.

I used to live in West Palm Beach, but for now we have to stick with Atlanta. Just arrived here, but already my brother and I were talking about possible places to keep a boat... Chattanooga, Mobile, Panhandle, Charleston. Driving my wife crazy

Caggie, you're right. My wife and I have read a lot of articles about re-patriating. The difficulties after being away for so long. But I have a long memory and still remember the stresses of life before. No rose colored glasses here!

Won't miss the 120 degree heat or the burning oil tankers either, but will miss my little green MAKO. :(

Hotlanta won’t disappoint you! 100 degrees and high humidity will have you sweltering. Meanwhile, Chattanooga and Tennessee River cruising would be pretty nearby and maybe a better choice in hurricane season. Welcome back to the US.

Thanks everyone for the "welcome backs"

Luckily it ain't Hotlanta yet. Woke up this morning to 50 degrees (F, not C)

Why did you pick Hotlanta? Did work stick you there? Not my fave place in the good ol' USA.

Most of my family lives in ATL, so we bought a house here years ago for the family to spend the summers in. No one's family spends the summer in Doha - everyone leaves, even the locals.

Anyway, it's just natural to stay here. My kid has to finish high school so a couple of years is no big deal.

Plus I have some investments to cash out of, which will take a few years. After that I can retire and sail my next boat down to Antarctica.

That's the plan at least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom