Thread: Solo Cruising
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Being on the boat is my happy place. However the wife has had enough. She might meet me at a destination once in a while, if there is shore power and the boat doesn’t rock, but she is not into the cruising part.
I spent 4 months in the keys and Bahamas last year with occasional trips home. I loved it. . . . Wife is happy and I am free to cruise.
I just wonder how many other guys do that? Is it weird or creepy for a guy to enjoy the beauty and solitude as much as I do?
It can get lonesome. Maybe I’ll get a dog.

In my cruising years I met several married solo sailors, & they (& the wives I happened to meet in ports) seemed to have made the necessary adjustments to such arrangements. I also had several women cruising friends who had made agreements with their husbands to cruise for limited times, usually for a year. Each one of them ended up falling in love with the cruising life, & some went on for thousands more miles. That said, I long ago discovered that there is a big difference between East & West Coast cruising styles. I'm from Newport Beach & the majority of cruisers I've known have been sailors, well accustomed to life on the hook & at sea. Most of us will do just about anything to avoid firing up a generator, & even in port prefer a mooring to a dock. In 4 years of bluewater crusing I think I used my microwave twice; the stovetop pressure cooker was faster & certainly quieter. East Coast cruising, especially via the ICW was a totally different experience for me, & my own preference is to be at least 200 miles offshore & away from traffic.

I've lived more than 3/4 of a century, & have learned through my own experience that not only does each couple have to define their own relationship, but that those relationships change & adjust over time, sometimes in unexpected ways. Best wishes to both of you as you discover the best way to navigate forward--
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote