Leave boat in Abaco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I know this has been discussed here before, hell I probably started the topic, but damned if I can find it.

How stupid would it be to leave the boat in the Abacos somewhere? Having a great time here and don’t really want to take the 3-4 days back to Florida then another 4 or so around the Keys back to Longboat Key. I need to be back for July 4th but then can come back to bring it back, or maybe just leave it here for for a year? That sounds kind of crazy so want to get a reality check.

I have a Bahamas rider on my insurance so I’m covered for a hurricane (I think?).

Is Marsh Harbour relatively safe as far as boat theft? Any marina recommendations there? That’s the easiest place to fly in It seems. Seems like some people leave these giant fancy yachts here full time, but they probably have people aboard.

IMG_6186.jpg
IMG_6182.jpg
IMG_6168.jpg

Last edited:
I've never heard of trawler theft in Abaco - more CC after the outboards if anything. So I think it would be safe. If you are serious I would look at Treasure Cay. Most flights go there after Marsh anyway. If not, its only a 45 minute drive. And I think that is where your top photo is from? :)

However with the number of ferries plying the place these days (used to be only Albury), you could leave it anywhere and it wold be easy to get to from Marsh. I am also very sure that you can get a guy to check on it weekly for a small fee as well. The boat behind us when we were at the Bahamian Yacht Club in Lucaya is owned by monthly visitors from the US and a guy comes and starts the engine and checks it out regularly (did it while we were there)

Cost would be the thing, especially if you have a contract over on Long Boat.

Last edited:
Yes we are at the Treasure Cay Marina. We had anchored out the last few nights and the wife said enough of that. Lol. Any good restaurants here?

I’m sure the cost will make me decide it’s a stupid idea. I don’t like wasting money because it was too hard to make!

Yes we are at the Treasure Cay Marina. We had anchored out the last few nights and the wife said enough of that. Lol. Any good restaurants here?

I’m sure the cost will make me decide it’s a stupid idea. I don’t like wasting money because it was too hard to make!

Website says from Aug 2019 to Feb 2020, less than 60 feet is $690 a month (full months only).

IMG_6189.jpg

Yeah that August special looks good, but is the rest of the year really 2.25 per foot per day? That can’t be right.

As you probably know, our favorite marina!

Only three choices. The bar menu, the restaurant right there at the marina or the one over at the beach. All owned by the marina. The flies at the bar can be ferocious though!

The balls out in the basin are first come, so another option if you wanted to hang around longer. Nice floating dinghy dock as well.

Last edited:
We are gonna cook at the boat instead. I think a spicy red curry snapper with a coconut based sauce. [emoji41]

Hey do you get fuel at that dock coming out of the Harbour? Also, do you ever get water here? They said it’s .30 per gallon at the dock.

Last edited:
Also, there is a kid called Raymond who washes the sportsfishers there. If you want a boat wash ask the dockmaster to send him over for a quote.

Very nice kid, turns up on time and early. Does good work.

Our friends live in Abaco at Treasure Cay,basically right across the bay from the marina. They own a real estate company there. I think it’s Abaco Estates. We’ve stayed at the hotel there in the marina. They started a resort there years ago but I think Hurricane Floyd wiped it out . They have a few canals left over from the resort that the Moore’s rent for hurricane holes.

We stayed two days in Marsh Harbour inner basin, at a place called Mangoe's. We really liked it. Just stopped to drop off a friend for flight out, decided to stay the night. And decided to stay another night. Quite reasonable, and cool people.

Oh yeah I remember you mentioned that now. Will check them out. Thanks.

We are gonna cook at the boat instead. I think a spicy red curry snapper with a coconut based sauce. [emoji41]

Hey do you get fuel at that dock coming out of the Harbour? Also, do you ever get water here? They said it’s .30 per gallon at the dock.

I did often in our last boat (gas guzzler), only once for a small top up on this boat. No issues and easy in and out (actually on and off as it is parallel to the channel!)

If I needed water I got it at the slip - I would have thought the cost the same as I believe the fuel station is also owned by the marina. What is the price at the slip?

Sorry I meant to say the price is .30 per gallon at the slip. Would be easier to fill up at the slip.

Yeah the fuel dock looked super easy to get to so that’s why I was wondering. We still have 3/4 of a tank left. Could also get some at Marsh I suppose. May be cheaper there.

Right now you have that great special running, but one thing to keep in mind when no specials are running is that it never hurts to ask. The marinas are not full most of the time and to have long term tenants is a huge plus for them. Everything is negotiable.

Ah, you have the drone with you! PM sent on that.

The water there is a great example of coral sand and water - that beach is directly in from Whale Cay Channel - so those NE rages kick that lovely stuff into there!

Did you know it was once on National Geographic's top ten beaches in the world?

But just wait until you get to the Exumas, they you will have a reset on beautiful water!

Next year?

Last edited:
Exuma beaches even better?

Ok yeah. That’s ridiculously clear. Wow.

I've had my boat in GTC since the end of February and will bring it back at the end of July. No issues.

Do you keep it at a marina or on a mooring? No theft issues— dinghy or outboard?

I noticed quite a few boats on the hard in Black Sound at Abaco Yacht Services I think it was.

It's at a marina and I've had no issues. There are a lot of boats that stay on a mooring as well.

Abaco Yacht Services will be packed with Canadian boats. All of those folks went home at the end of April.

I know a guy in GTC with a dock that would support your boat that might be interested in renting a space for you.

Trying to decide if I will get that much more use out of it in July if I leave it here. I have to be back for a July 4th thing in Texas, so wondering if it’s worth it to leave it here. Plus hurricane season here scares me. Lol.

technically you are in hurricane season, but from past history most don't start coming through until September, so plenty of usage time in the Bahamas in my book. Go for it!

You might look into the moorings at Man O War Cay, they're pretty well protected and ask about them keeping an eye on the boat for you.

Still trying to figure out what to do. Can’t source the pump I need here so may have to leave it and fly back later in July with parts.

I can leave it at this Mangoes Marina until August but then they clear out the marina. Looks like about $1000 per month here.

We kept our last boat at Black Sound Marina on GTC for a year, it was great. Very nice people there and a clean, no frills marina with good docks and well protected. Cat 3 hurricane Irene passed directly over GTC while the boat was there, the marina owner brought our boat over to the boatyard and had it hauled. The boat came through pretty well, all things considered.

Slip fees were $500 a month including power. May be more now.

Easy in and out on the ferry and a nicer place to be than Marsh Harbor.

That sounds like a deal!

We met the owner of Black Sound Marina, Roy Bowles, quite a few years ago, maybe 8? He was a very interesting character. He may not even own it any more.

Yeah, Roy is a super good guy, salt of the earth. He sold the marina a few years ago. Unfortunately, his health was really suffering the last time I saw him.

Back
Top Bottom