Kayak mounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boater3

Guru
Vessel Make
tbd
Does anyone have any recommendations for Kayak mount/holder? Ideally something that can attach to the fly bridge / rail so the Kayak can be stored over either the port or starboard side? We are looking to get 1-2 kayaks and prefer to store them out of the way...on a ST44. Attached are some pictures of ones I've seen online but no clue on make/model/where to procure. Thanks!

Attachments

• st44 kayak mount.jpg
    st44 kayak mount.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
  • kayak holder.jpg
    kayak holder.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 78
  • st44 kayak mount2.jpg
    st44 kayak mount2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Last edited:
I just installed 2 sets of the Magma kayak racks on the sides of my flybridge. They're very nicely made. I can recommend them. They're on sale right now at Defender.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4426259

Ken

Thanks I saw that but wonder if its compatible with all kayaks? The Kayaks we are looking at (Hobie Kona) are 34" wide. Looks like most kayak holders can accept 14" max. Hoping the kayak is tapered a bit at either end, awaiting CAD or better dimensions from Hobie...

Thanks I saw that but wonder if its compatible with all kayaks? The Kayaks we are looking at (Hobie Kona) are 34" wide. Looks like most kayak holders can accept 14" max. Hoping the kayak is tapered a bit at either end, awaiting CAD or better dimensions from Hobie...

You would stand the kayaks on edge - definitely nothing like 34". The specs will tell you how "thick" they are when on edge.

Going with the Magma's myself for a Ocean sit on top tandem

We have the Magma ones and are very happy with them!

I have the Gardhauer mounts and they work well. I purchased these before Magma entered the market. The nice feature about the Magma, is that they will easily swing out of the way. The Gardhaurer will swing only if you loosen the bolts. Can’t justify the replacement costs. I use HAVC hose insulation for the arms of the Gardhauer, and installed thumb screws so I could swing out the mounts when needed.

Thanks everyone

I do like that the Magma can swing out of the way. That is especially important if we have on both sides and need to deploy the dinghy on one side

Garhauer said they can custom fabricate for whatever size I need

I have the Gardhauer mounts and they work well. I purchased these before Magma entered the market. The nice feature about the Magma, is that they will easily swing out of the way. The Gardhaurer will swing only if you loosen the bolts. Can’t justify the replacement costs. I use HAVC hose insulation for the arms of the Gardhauer, and installed thumb screws so I could swing out the mounts when needed.

I found that i just tighten the bolts tight, but not really tight. That allows them to swing out or in as needed. So far no damage to any of the stanchions over 9 years.

So I think I was confused reading the specs on the kayak. The width is the beam not the thickness of the kayak. Kayak is around 12" so most mounds look like they will work. Thanks all!

I really struggle with this. Realistically I don’t know how often we would use a kayak other than during the warmer months (so May through September?). Those of you who have kayaks, do you find that you use them often enough to justify having them on your boat or do you only keep them there when you’re using them? Does anyone have an inflatable kayak that they like? (Sorry for going a bit off topic)

Sandy

I really struggle with this. Realistically I don’t know how often we would use a kayak other than during the warmer months (so May through September?). Those of you who have kayaks, do you find that you use them often enough to justify having them on your boat or do you only keep them there when you’re using them? Does anyone have an inflatable kayak that they like? (Sorry for going a bit off topic)

Sandy

some people kayak / paddle board in the middle of winter. thats not for me. may-sept is fine. they arent expensive, require no maintenance, and can be stored/mounted on boats, cars, garage, etc. so its just another toy to have at disposal.

Sandy

I remove the kayaks during the winter and when I don't think we will be using them. We honestly don't use them as much as we did. My wife has a hard time getting in and out of them now and over the past few years I've had more knee issues which has made it harder for me as well. When my kids or my Mom are going to be be with us we are more likely to take them (my Mom at 85 years old can get in and out of a kayak much better than I).

We got paddle boards last year that I enjoyed. They also go well in the kayak racks.

Sandy

We have two single Advanced Elements kayaks that we love. We deflate them in the winter and store them in our garage. We even keep a double for when we have company. The inflatables don't track as well as a hard shell but they are more than good enough for kayaking from the boat. Added bonus-it is wide and stable enough that I can put the dog in with me!

We have two single Advanced Elements kayaks that we love. We deflate them in the winter and store them in our garage. We even keep a double for when we have company. The inflatables don't track as well as a hard shell but they are more than good enough for kayaking from the boat. Added bonus-it is wide and stable enough that I can put the dog in with me!

Thanks for the information! My husband and I were just discussing this yesterday and he told me that if we’re going to get a kayak he would want us to have a hard shell even though it will be much more challenging to store, launch, etc. Considering we’re novice kayakers I think the inflatables will be just fine. I’ll check out the Advanced Elements - thank you!

We have two hardshell solo kayaks that we paddle quite a bit, but we transport them with a car. We also have 2 Advanced Element tandem kayaks that see a lot of use on the boat. One stays inflated all the time and is stored outside the flybridge rails, the other we bring when we have visitors. We probably use the tandem kayak more than the dinghy.

We have two hardshell solo kayaks that we paddle quite a bit, but we transport them with a car. We also have 2 Advanced Element tandem kayaks that see a lot of use on the boat. One stays inflated all the time and is stored outside the flybridge rails, the other we bring when we have visitors. We probably use the tandem kayak more than the dinghy.

Between the hard shell and advanced elements kayaks, which do you prefer?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom