Trading 60-Foot Sailing Cat for a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainK

My wife and I are relatively new to the boat owners club, with our amazing 60-foot sailing catamaran. We are just wrapping up another big upgrade to the boat, installing 4 thrusters, and started to think about "what's next".

We really wanted to try how we'd like owning a sailboat, but now we think that a trawler may be better for us.

There have been a few people who told us to "just trade with someone who wants a catamaran". We kind of dismissed these comments, but I thought I'd post here and see what you all think.

PS: We have a 2006 Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60, with a full refit in 2015 (new engines, electronics, generator, 1200 gallon watermaker...). In the last 8 months, we've added lithium-ion batteries, 1400-watts of solar, and a 4-pump thruster system. -- Looking for a 55-60 foot trawler with a long range.

Welcome!

So why didn’t you like the sailing cat? What’s the reason for 4 thrusters ?

I’ll trade you my boat, but it’s only 40’, and only one thruster. But it’s a “trawler” WITH a sail! Best of both worlds! [emoji51]

https://youtu.be/UmtqwJTUwPY

Last edited:
Welcome!

So why didn’t you like the sailing cat?

What’s the reason for 4 thrusters ?

4 thrusters... just to make it easier for us to get into marinas and tight spots. We had thought about doing 2 tunnel thrusters, but ended up going with a 4-pump jet system instead.

We only have 230 gallons of fuel... and we end up motoring most of the time. The mast height has been an issue, trying to follow our trawler friends to some places... and it's hard to run a sailboat alone at night (my wife can never sleep while we're underway at night -- worried about me being on deck... etc.).

Understand. That’s a lot of boat to single hand at night if things go sideways.

Good luck with the trawler search!

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the size and value of your boat will likely preclude a trade unless it decidedly favors the trawler owner. Selling it through a broker will likely get you more money even after the commission. Secondly, if you're interested in a trawler of similar size, you will likely want to pick what you want as opposed to settling for a boat somebody else wants to get rid of.

Ted

My wife and I are relatively new to the boat owners club, with our amazing 60-foot sailing catamaran. We are just wrapping up another big upgrade to the boat, installing 4 thrusters, and started to think about "what's next".

We really wanted to try how we'd like owning a sailboat, but now we think that a trawler may be better for us.

There have been a few people who told us to "just trade with someone who wants a catamaran". We kind of dismissed these comments, but I thought I'd post here and see what you all think.

PS: We have a 2006 Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60, with a full refit in 2015 (new engines, electronics, generator, 1200 gallon watermaker...). In the last 8 months, we've added lithium-ion batteries, 1400-watts of solar, and a 4-pump thruster system. -- Looking for a 55-60 foot trawler with a long range.

I'll swap you.
60 ft trawler with 3500+ - nm range.

Sorry Simi, he’s seen the video of my boat now and I’m pretty sure he’s smitten. [emoji30]

Although Simi appears to be one of them, I would guess there are maybe 3 people in the world who would want to move from a trawler to a sailing cat, and that's who you need to find for a trade. On the other hand, there are lots of mono hull sailors looking to move to cats, and lots of trawlers for sale. They are just different people. So selling the cat and buying a trawler seems a much more likely path to what you want.

Welcome!

So why didn’t you like the sailing cat? What’s the reason for 4 thrusters ?

I’ll trade you my boat, but it’s only 40’, and only one thruster. But it’s a “trawler” WITH a sail! Best of both worlds! [emoji51]

https://youtu.be/UmtqwJTUwPY

Any pics of this beast Captain??

Sure... here are a few.

explorking_0029_web_sm.jpg

MG_2118-HDR.jpg

20190522-_MG_2057.jpg

Ooohhh!! Looks amazing. Can't you use the engines and run her like a trawler?

It's a shame you don't have more fuel capacity, removing the mast and all the sail related stuff would seem a simple solution otherwise.

Ted

Tough to add fuel to a cat though, they don’t like extra weight as I understand. Although if you swapped from lead to lipo batts, and ditched the sail gear that could free up enough weight to fit the needed fuel.

There’s a cat up here in NJ that stores his sailing mast in Florida and installs a 20 ft mast for summer ICW power cruising.
Out of the box thinking.
230 gallons will go a long way. Stop for fuel once a week not too bad.

Last edited:
You should join the Kadey Krogen and Nordhaven owners groups and post, although many there were cat owners prior.

Cat for trawler

It seems like with a boat that size and that comfortable there would be a way to increase the fuel capacity, remove the mast and rigging to storage (for future sale) and convert to a power cat. I would think the cost would be minimal compared to selling, paying commission and rebuying a trawler. Not to mention, you would have the use of a boat much more quickly as the time involved in selling a 60 foot cat then finding a suitable trawler replacement then doing upgrades and maintenance on that would be considerable. Plus, you’d wind up with a boat you already know instead of an unknown quantity.
Just brainstorming here.

Although Simi appears to be one of them, I would guess there are maybe 3 people in the world who would want to move from a trawler to a sailing cat, and that's who you need to find for a trade..

Don't let appearance fool you, it was purely a straight swap proposition. ;)
Then I could sell the big cat, buy our sister ship and still have $400k in the skyrocket.:thumb:

The more important question is what boat are you considering after you part with the Cat? Should it be able to cross Oceans? What kind of upper speed are you thinking? Is it for full time live aboard, etc. You have the advantage of experience so you should do okay on your next boat in terms of needs and wants.

sell Catamaran buy a Trawler

The main point is the rolling of the trawler versus the catamaran. Cat not roll at anchor while Trawler rolls. The movement are totally different. When you are sailing the catamaran does not swing from one side to the other. For this reason many trawlers use stabilizers.
Armando.

4 thrusters... just to make it easier for us to get into marinas and tight spots. We had thought about doing 2 tunnel thrusters, but ended up going with a 4-pump jet system instead.

We only have 230 gallons of fuel... and we end up motoring most of the time. The mast height has been an issue, trying to follow our trawler friends to some places... and it's hard to run a sailboat alone at night (my wife can never sleep while we're underway at night -- worried about me being on deck... etc.).

How long have you had this catamaran? How much experience do you have, or have you allowed yourself to learn to handle the vessel?

Most catamaran with twin engines and props are extremely maneuverable once you get the hang of it. Don't understand the need for thrusters, let alone 4 of them??

You ask for long range, what sort of long range? Where is you want to visit?...offshore?...across oceans??

The suggestion about removing the mast and saving it for resale might make sense if that's really what your after. In place of that mast there could be erected a small crows nest or short tower.

I'm an old sailing guy who is very partial to 'motorsailing catamarans'. google my name along with 'motorsailer' and I'm sure you will come up with lots of hits.

BTW, I take you don't sail her much because shes a bit big for just you and your wife?....or are your present day trips to short to justify sailing??

Last edited:
or maybe a 'temp' control station up top like this cat I spotted in Thailand

attachment.php

..or maybe a shorter rig that you and your wife could easily handle,...all roller furling
attachment.php

Domino powercat
I think you naysayers need to go back to the first page of this subject thread and look at a few of the vessels presented there.

Then I would strongly suggest you have a look thru this extensive blog by the owners of Domino, a 20m (65') Tennant powercat that has done a considerable bit long range cruising, including offshore. They are getting ready to do the Pacific now.

DOMINO 20

By the way, I had suggested that a version of this design could be converted into a 'motorsailer' with the addition of my aft-mast rig.

I'm in the market for a cat, how much do you want for it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom