10-12 knot cruise trawler 26-32'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForceMultiplier

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
First Draft
Vessel Make
21'4" Tolman widebody skiff
9-12 knot cruise trawler 26-32'?

Are there any trawlers or "semi-trawler" style boats in the 26-32' range that have a 9+ knot cruising speed? With a flybridge/command bridge.

Last edited:
Unless you're looking at catamarans, 10 knots in that size range will almost have you on plane or plowing a mountain or water in front of you. In that size range 10 to 14 knots should have you on plane, depending on hull shape.

Ted

Nordic Tugs 32 but as mentioned fuel consumption is higher. Maybe 8-10 gph at 12-15 kts vs <4 gph at 7-8 kts

The Camano 31 will do 12 kts and burn somewhere in the 8 gph range with its Volvo 200 hp engine. But that is pushing that engine a little hard.

David

10-12kts is kinda a bad spot for most boats that size. Just over hull speed, lots of fuel, big wake.

Some Lobster boat hulls like a Bruno 35 do nice at 15-17kts.

My 38 I either run 7.7 or kick it up to 16-20. It runs ok in between, but burn rate drops once fully on plane about 16+. Never run around 12 unless offshore and it is rough and then it might like it.

OK, let me modify it to 9-12 knots cruise speed. :) As much as I enjoy cruising along at slower speeds, 6-7 knots just ain't gonna cut it.

10-12kts is kinda a bad spot for most boats that size. Just over hull speed, lots of fuel, big wake.

Yup....7-8 is more reasonable in this size range. My boat (and fuel burn) is not comfortable over that...

2v2Eif2h5x3cYB.jpg

If 7kts "won't cut it", I think you need realistically asses whether 9kts will. Many boats will cruise at 8. I run between 7-10kts , depending on tides. I can't percieve the difference between 7kts and 10kts on the open water.

If 7kts "won't cut it", I think you need realistically asses whether 9kts will. Many boats will cruise at 8. I run between 7-10kts , depending on tides. I can't percieve the difference between 7kts and 10kts on the open water.

Fair enough.

My Nordic Tug does those speeds all day long.

Near as I can figure, my American Tug can plane while going down the back side of a big wave, unit, I hit the trough then, it gets really messy. WINK

Most semi-displacement boat 'can' go faster than hull speed but at what fuel cost?
Anything over hull speed is generally for an emergency or racing the tide at an inlet or perhaps racing to the last available docking space?

Force: What's your budget? That will play a big role in what's available. I remember you asked about the Camano 31 a few weeks ago

A full planing boat will do 9-12 knots gracefully and economically too.
Weight is the elephant in the room.

Force: What's your budget? That will play a big role in what's available. I remember you asked about the Camano 31 a few weeks ago

Under $100K.

The Camano is still on my list of consideration, my research since then seems to imply that 7-8kn is a more realistic cruising speed of the Camano. I honestly have no idea about the realities of any of it, though. I know the only way I'm going to figure things out is to start climbing aboard various boats, looking at them, talking with owners, etc.

Are there any trawlers or "semi-trawler" style boats in the 26-32' range that have a 9+ knot cruising speed? With a flybridge/command bridge.
The first boat is a Halvorsen 32' Gourmet cruiser and will cruise 9-10 knots all day. The second photo is a friend's Island Gysy 32' and I think it will do the same or better. (I hope he joins in with info on this subject.)

Attachments

• SeaHorse II.jpg
    SeaHorse II.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Emily Ann.jpg
    Emily Ann.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 110
The first boat is a Halvorsen 32' Gourmet cruiser and will cruise 9-10 knots all day. The second photo is a friend's Island Gysy 32' and I think it will do the same or better. (I hope he joins in with info on this subject.)
No flybridge on that Halvorsen. Nice-looking boat, though.

I don't know anything about NC or Wilson but I am assuming you will moor your boat in Washington NC. On Google maps I don't see any body of water close to you for a trawler so I'm making the above assumption.

So I looked at where I would take my boat if I had it moored in the Washington NC area and of course all those lovely islands or whatever they're called pooped out. Also the distance from Washington to Hatteras looks substantial.

So I would suggest you abandon the whole trawler thing and look at Express Cruisers, the boat that can't get any respect. So a boat style I really like with a feature I think more and more boat manufactures will be copying is slide out seats in the cockpit area. If you look at the link provided, on the hull in the cockpit location you will notice a rectangle, that rectangle slides out and becomes a seat. These seats are on both sides of the boat so with guests at the dock you can comfortably have 6 guest with a table for your goodies set up.

C-30 Sedan

Here's a video of said boat, pay attention to the spiel the reviewer gives on the philosophy of this boat. What he says is true in my local area on the other side of North America, big boats sit at the docks more than smaller boats. I think you'll like the creative use of the cockpit amenities. This boat gives you great control, decent speed, livability, good entertaining room, while saving money in moorage fees, more spaces available to you with a smaller boat, less servicing fees, etc.

For my area the Express Cruiser is the perfect compromise. Living close to excellent inlets and fjords, relatively "close" to Alaska, with the Gulf and San Juan Islands relatively "close" I want a boat that is just large enough so I can live comfortably on it over a period of time, but get into the area I want to be, then slow down to smell the roses, or kelp.

If you look at the models, the Cutwater 30 CB has a command bridge:

Models | Cutwater Boats

And I wouldn't recommend a diesel for this boat, I'll give you a link about engines, gas versus diesel. You will save money with gas, less vibration, less stink, less mess, less expense, no fuel polishing:

Marine Engines: Power Options - Gas Versus Diesel - by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

Last edited:
I believe you are right. ^^^ An express cruiser is probably going to be the most appropriate boat for me.

I believe you are right. ^^^ An express cruiser is probably going to be the most appropriate boat for me.

There's a lot of nice express cruisers, but which ones have a flybridge?

I could be tempted to downside and get something similar to what you're looking for that would give a bit of speed, but the flybridge is a must for me. Just not a lot of choices.

The Mainshp 34 is on a Downeast semi-displacement full keel hull. Mine likes to settle down and steady the helm by getting the forefoot just out of the water at around 8 knots. She will minimum plane in calm water at 13.5-14 knots. Anything in between and as previously noted you're just pushing water and burning fuel.

Great values, well within your budget, awesome flybridge on the I and III's, you would want one that repowered with 240HP + to be able to comfortably maintain plane at 15-16knts, over 18 I hear from the racing Mainships they get squirrelly. Lots of them out there

:socool:

The newer Mainship 34T's are beautiful. I briefly considered them over the winter myself.

The OP is looking to stay under $100k though.

Can we include planing boats that look like trawlers then? :eek:

ForceM,
Yes IMO as there are many.
Camano is one. The 41 footer is quite efficient probably due to it’s light weight ... if indeed it is light.

You should take a look at a Bayliner 32XX. They are good, spacious, solid boats that came in both dual gas and dual diesel configurations with a flybridge. Heaps of them out this way and many in great shape with new tanks and newer power plants. They will meet your speed requirements.

Back
Top Bottom