Stuck Lid on Raw Water Strainer MS 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

welippisch

Vessel Name
Adrift
Vessel Make
MS 400
Hi, everyone. New to me 2007 MS 400. Tried to remove the lids on both the engine and generator Water Strainer on the first outing without success. Is there a special tool that fits the center square and wings?

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 158
Called a spanner wrench. Once you get it off, check the o ring and put some silicon grease around it as well.

Greetings,
Mr. w. Welcome aboard. Nope. Sorry Mr. Gm. No spanner wrench for this lid. Get a large flat wrench, put it flat on top, turn counter clockwise, the wrench will engage in the ears/tabs sticking up and give you the leverage. If REALLY stuck, go the penetrating oil/gentle heat route.

iu

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Looked at the Grocco spanner wrench and could not figure out how it would work. Looks like a job for PB Blaster and patience.

Ahhh now I put my glasses on. It only looks like mine! Thanks RT

Close the through hull. Put a wrench across the raised notches and lightly tap the end of the wrench with a rubber mallet (of which you should have two or three sizes on board). Increase tap pressure until it moves.

If you don't have enough room for a horizontal tap, put one lip of a wrench on a raised notch and tap with the mallet more vertically.

Last edited:
PB Blaster, wait a while and a modest heat gun (not a torch) would be my suggestion, I would also suggest replacing the o-ring and silicone lube after, BTW heat the body not the cap.

Chunk of flat bar across the flats and tap with hammer.

Second on flat bar.

Like the flat bar and tap, I would still PB and heat a bit

Old groco filters

Don’t forget the neversieze when you put the lid back on

I don't recommend just any antisieze....

Some contain metals that are incompatible in the saltwater environment.

A dielectric silicone, which is often aboard is find and good for the gasket much of the time.

Neverseize would work, but man is it messy and as Psneeld says, you need to use one that is saltwater compatible. For bolt threads in the boat, I use the nickle based neverseize. For threaded fittings like this, I use the red marine "waterproof" grease.

Ken

I have a MS 430...just purchased and had the same problem. I used a large channel lock to take them off. Get one large enough to easily go around the lid.

John Welsh

Been there... Agree with menzies approach. Sometimes you need a lot of tapping to eventually loosen. Once removed lubricate the o-ring as mentioned and hand tighten only. Just don’t wait too long (month or two) to reopen or you will have to go through the protracted effort again.

Use a ratchet wrench , spray it with wd40 first

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom