Window Sun Screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
I'd like to know how trawler owners typically screen the sun from beating in on their pilot houses when not underway? I've seen some who use outside material (Pfifertex or similar?) that snaps on the window frames - that is apparently quite expensive. I assume there is a similar method that uses a different material and snaps (or fastens somehow) to the inside of the windows - this is probably less expensive but not sure what to use. Then I suppose there's the really cheap end of the spectrum that uses those folding window foil reflectors people put in their cars but they never cover correctly, don't attach to anything neatly and look extremely tacky (hope I haven't offended anyone here). Would love to heat some suggestions please and thx in advance - this forum has been so helpful in the few short months I've been a member.

I use Pfifertex to make exterior screens. It is really easy to work with. The best screening for heat and UV protection is on the outside. It is better to keep the heat outside the glass than put the screen on the inside. It is easy to install and remove when it is on the outside than trying to reach over everything on te helm.

Expensive... not really compared to many boat improvements projects.
Actually it's a perfect DIY sewing project. Mesh sews pretty easy even on home machines.
If windows have straight edges. Trapezoids they are very easy.
Make a pattern for each window leave 3" extra all around then mark w pencil pattern size & shape. Fold extra to the outside edge to pattern line... now 1.5" oversized and fold again to hide any raw edges in the hem. Warm iron helps make the folds crisp. Then sew inside & outside of the folded hem w UV treated thread.
Install snaps. Done.
Many mesh choices available at RochfordSupply.com even some 2nds at good prices. If you are a boater it's a worthwhile skill to develop / practice. Just finished a sunscreen for the aft deck.
All depends on which direction we're facing in afternoon whether we use windshield or aft deck sunscreens.
Exterior easier on/ off for most windshields due to access and are more effective at keeping the heat out.

Last edited:
We had exterior screens made as Bacchus described but didn’t DIY. Not all that expensive in relative terms. My wife wanted black, so we went with black. They attached with a few snaps. It really cuts down on the heat in the PH.

A disadvantage is that the screens don’t keep the windows clean, and actually make them dirtier. Not a big deal but in the spring we get a lot of tree pollen. I like being able to see out of the windows when the screens are in place which is why I didn’t go with solid window covers.

I was on a boat last fall that had these pull down sun screens. It seemed like a great idea, and was easily deployable right from the helm.

The company is Bergaflex in Germany.

Attachments

• PCH_2018-09-24_15-37_5204.jpg
    PCH_2018-09-24_15-37_5204.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 119
We have snap on mesh screens made by Tidewater Canvas in Easton MD. that we use on dock and at anchor. These reduce pilot house temp significantly 10-15 degrees. No idea on cost but it is a worthwhile investment. Takes 5 min to put on or take off.

I use exterior screens, but add the aluminum bubble wrap that I have cut to shape and put inside the exterior screens. Works well.

I'd like to know how trawler owners typically screen the sun from beating in on their pilot houses when not underway? I've seen some who use outside material (Pfifertex or similar?) that snaps on the window frames - that is apparently quite expensive. I assume there is a similar method that uses a different material and snaps (or fastens somehow) to the inside of the windows - this is probably less expensive but not sure what to use. Then I suppose there's the really cheap end of the spectrum that uses those folding window foil reflectors people put in their cars but they never cover correctly, don't attach to anything neatly and look extremely tacky (hope I haven't offended anyone here). Would love to heat some suggestions please and thx in advance - this forum has been so helpful in the few short months I've been a member.

I'm not even kidding about this. I've done it for Rv'ers when I owned an upholstery shop. It can help control heat coming in and going out. Take a product called reflectix, or similar, and cut them a little larger, maybe 1 inch to 1.25 inch, than your windows. I use discarded cardboard boxes to make templates to cut out the reflectix. Use a good quality foil duct tape to make larger pieces if need be. Once I have all the pieces I want for the windows, I glue fabric to the sides. You can use any UV resistant fabric for home, auto, RV, boats, whatever. Make sure not to stretch the fabric. Lay it down smooth from one side to the other. I use 3M Super 77 fabric spray glue. Once I have it all together I sew on an edge banding to make it look nice. It can be made from the material the rest of the cover is made from, some other fabric of choice, or even actaul edge banding. The materials may be a little thick but any quality home sewing machine can do the job. It could also be glued. That may take a while as the edges would need to be taped off to prevent overspray from the glue getting on the fabric cover. To hang them I have done it several ways. Sewed little pockets for magnets around the edge every 12 inches or so. I've sewn on velcro. I've even sewn on loops and channels for little round cheap curtain rods. There are good DIY videos on youtube about sewing the simple edge banding, magnet pockets, and curtain rod channels. This doesn't have to be expensive. I did a custom van with 11 windows with around $50 in supplies.

My supplies came from Lowe's, Amazon, and my upholstery supplier. It can all be bought from local sources such as home improvement stores, home center like JoAnn Fabrics, and even Walmart.

Links for reference.

Refectix comes in many sizes and it's not very expensive. It's best to leave 1/2 inch space betwen it and your window if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...6b680ab57f4db27740a96ae3ed0094&language=en_US

Super 77

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...be09af2f94c641e7687eff82794ba4&language=en_US

Nauti themed fabric.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...628b1cf9576a868a9eff4c114104fd&language=en_US

Thx! Unfortunately, I found Tidewater Canvas completely unreliable - chased him for months with little/no response. I got increasingly frustrated and finally gave up. Might you know anyone else who does this sort of work in the Easton area?

Unfortunately I do not have any contacts in MD or surrounding states, we bought the boat there and moved it north. I may have someone up here who could do this, will Lilly see him today and ask

As someone mentioned, sewing Perfertex is easy. Good first sewing project.

I bought a Sailrite walking foot sewing machine back in 1995 to replace the clear plastic on enclosures.

Made the Perfertex window covers when we bought Sandpiper 19 years ago. Broke even on the sewing machine with that project.

The window covers are still in excellent shape. Annual washing and storing them during winter prolongs their life.

I would add a vinyl backing inside the folded Perfertex for the snaps to have a more secure hold. Canvas suppliers sell it in rolls for backing or you could buy a square of vinyl tarp material and cut it into 1 1/2 " strips. It's the same vinyl and comes in white or black.

Make sure to use synthetic thread so the covers can be washed with a bleach solution.

Last edited:
I bought sheet Textilene, cut it to fit the inside window dimensions, glued rubber strip magnets to the Textilene edges and to the inside edges of the windows. Textilene sheets snap magnetically to the inside of the window panes. There are pros/cons to Textilene. I like accessing them from inside: no worries about putting them away wet or dirty.

Thx Steve - not sure the shade sail will suit my needs but what is material snapped to your windows and did you do it yourself or have them amde?

Thx Steve - not sure the shade sail will suit my needs but what is material snapped to your windows and did you do it yourself or have them amde?

Window material is Phifertex......Wife and I made them. Easy to sew on a home machine. Pattern, sew, then lay out the snaps and install with a snap tool....They work great. Terrific visibility out, but little in. We have them for the sides too.....It does cut down the UV heat load significantly..

2v29cKEbhx3cYB.jpg

View from the inside:

2v291Y7Qjx3cYB.jpg

Last edited:
An additional plug for sailrite.com - they have excellent DIY videos on all sorts of great boat projects (including window screens). Sailrite.com also is typically competitively priced on fabrics and supplies for the projects.

We just completed new window screens for our boat. It was relatively easy and with directions from sailrite better than the original.

Attachments

• 58000579221__4A38EBF8-1CD6-484A-B148-F9BA33B643AF.jpg
    58000579221__4A38EBF8-1CD6-484A-B148-F9BA33B643AF.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 66
Which Phifertex product?

Window material is Phifertex......Wife and I made them. Easy to sew on a home machine. Pattern, sew, then lay out the snaps and install with a snap tool....They work great. Terrific visibility out, but little in. We have them for the sides too.....It does cut down the UV heat load significantly..

Steve do you recall which Phifertex product you used? I just got a few samples from them and I’m trying to decide which to use — looking for the right balance of durability, visibility, sun/UV filter, and breeze.

An additional plug for sailrite.com - they have excellent DIY videos on all sorts of great boat projects (including window screens). Sailrite.com also is typically competitively priced on fabrics and supplies for the projects.

We just completed new window screens for our boat. It was relatively easy and with directions from sailrite better than the original.
GMS...
Nice job... looks like a 2 beer job or just the after party?

I'd also suggest checking our RochfordSupply.com. especially for fabrics and mesh. They often have some great buys on 2nds that are really not far from 1st quality IMO & experience... especially for DIYer - if you mess anything up your out of pocket cost is minimal.
I've used a lot of their white mesh for windshield, side window sunscreens. Just finished a drop curtain style sunscreen for our aft deck to block afternoon sun if parked / anchored w stern to the west... I use the windshield sunscreen when parked bow west.
I'll try to remember to take a few pics & post if I get some hot sunny days traveling.

We used Phifertex Plus, high UV blockage and visibility is still good (or good enough).

For edge rinishing I usually use Sunbrella Facing material. It is like binding but it is 2” wide so when you fold it around the edge of the material it gives 1” finished edge that is thick enough for snaps to grab onto and not pull out. It costs about $.90 per foot but looks great. I sew around two times once near the inside edge and once near the outside edge. That holds the facing flat and gives it a nice finished look. I do this on the Sunbrella bra over my windshield and also on the side window sun screens. I use Cadet Gray Sunbrella fo everything. Glen Raven makes all of their products in Cadet Gray, Sunbrella webbing and Sunbrella canvas up to 80” wide in case you need a large piece. On a previous boat the windshield bra was made up of 5 pieces of Sunbrella, I was making a new bra and wanted it in 1 piece so I special ordered some 80” and was able to get it made without any seams. Just cut it to shape and sew around twice on the facing and it was done.

I'll be doing something like this over the PH windows with an aluminium frame and covering in shadecloth before summer comes around again

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15593392628263141~01.jpg
    FB_IMG_15593392628263141~01.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 51
We are having pfifertex shades made for our boat. So far the sides are on...just missing the front windshield.
Also just had new blinds installed in the galley and salon and doors.
Wow....what a difference!
It’s so much cooler in the boat now...and we are having very hot temps.

Phifertex project is underway. For $90, enough to build a one piece cover over the front and first side windows. With some vinyl left over from another project for the edging, a few snaps, shouldn't take too long.

Phifertex project is underway. For $90, enough to build a one piece cover over the front and first side windows. With some vinyl left over from another project for the edging, a few snaps, shouldn't take too long.

Where in BC do you purchase canvas supply?

Where in BC do you purchase canvas supply?

Sailrite.com delivered to our Snowbird site in California.
BC would cost more.

We have had Sailrite deliveries to Saltspring.

My son has a PO Box in Blaine, so can get US prices and delivery, then a quick trip to pick up in Blaine, duty if any and GST if any and home. No biggie.

Last edited:
Steve do you recall which Phifertex product you used? I just got a few samples from them and I’m trying to decide which to use — looking for the right balance of durability, visibility, sun/UV filter, and breeze.

Best visibility with Phifertex Standard. Good compromise on the other qualities.
Can see in from the outside at night, but we also have interior shades...
The tighter the weave, the less ventilation and visibility, but the other concerns are enhanced. It's all in what is most important to you.

Specs here:
https://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Mesh-White-000-54

Greetings,
Slight thread drift warning: I removed all the snaps that attached our exterior sun screens when we repainted a few years back. The were attached to the cabin rather than to the raised teak frame that is around the windows. Attaching the snaps to the teak is less obtrusive to the eye IMO.

Is there any disadvantage to putting the snaps back on the raised frame rather than the screen overlapping the frame and putting them back on the cabin? The only one I can think of is the wind may get under the edges and allow the frame mounted curtains to be blown off easier.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom