Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
RE: Understanding my genset alternator

Quote:
timjet wrote:
Thanks guy's.

One thing I don't understand about battery chargers is if one bank of a 3 bank charger needs charging is the charge rate still the same even if all 3 banks need charging.

Example, over night I deplete bank one but bank two and three are still at full charge. I start the jenny and turn on my 30 amp 3 bank charger. Will the charger charge bank one at a rate of 30 amp per hour, not including line loss and ineffeciencies?

Next Example; I deplete bank one and bank two. Bank 3 is reserved for genny starting and I start the genset and turn on the battery charger. In this case does the charger charge both bank 1 and bank 2 at a rate of 30 amp per hour?
*I agree with Scott.* You are probably getting 11 amps per bank.* So why not combine the two house banks into one large house bank and then use only bank one on the charger directly to the house bank B+.* If you think the wire is under gauge fix it.* #8 should be able to make almost any run or go to #6.* Then get a 150 Amp alternator for the engine and take it through it's external three stage regulator directly to the + post on your house bank.* Install an Echo charger for the start battery or two if you want to charge the Gen set battery as well.**

When plugged in and*on the charger it will take a little longer than seven hours to recharge the house bank.* But on the hook you won't have to run the engine but about 1.2 hours every other day to do the same thing.* One more thing about the battery bank.* The B+ comes off of the positive post on first**battery in the string and the B- come off of the negative post of*last battery in the line.* Thus the loads are even in the battery pack.

You might try improving your fridge by installing a muffin fan to circulate the air in the locker that the fridge is built into.* I did this on mine and it made a 9-10* difference inside of the unit.

You keep mentioning a bigger alternator for the gen set.* I really don't think that is possible or at least one that would do what you want. Spend the money on a larger altornator for the engine and you will be way better off.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote