Over the air hdtv antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano

Vessel Name
Becca
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
I was thinking about using the existing mast and wiring from the old loran for installing an OTA antenna.
Has anyone done this successfully?
Any recommendations on antennas?

Is the old loran wiring rj59 coax? Any of the Shakespeare disks work well.

The coax is original, 30 years old.

Use the old loran cable to pull the new antenna cable through. Easier said then done though.

I was thinking about using the existing mast and wiring from the old loran for installing an OTA antenna.
Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm not sure how high your mast is above the water line. A rotatable directional unit will work well to pull in distant signals. Unfortunately, that means you'll need to be nearly stationary tied up to a dock. A unidirectional won't pull in those distant signals as well but it will get good reception from closer stations no matter if the boat is docked, moored, or anchored so long as there isn't too many tall obstacles to impeded the radio signals. That's about all I can offer. If you're interested in some compact home mounted units that could be used onboard, I can offer some suggestions. Just a note, home antennas use chromed steel and/or zinc plated hardware. Boaty stuff uses aluminum and/or stainless hardware. More plastic bits found on boaty units.

The tv in the master is about 2’ above the waterline. The mast is about 28’ when raised. We’re in the Tampa Bay Area and can pull stations from Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota, about 40 channels. That will make the Admiral happy.
Doing the wire run isn’t to bad but may need to do in 3 sections. Not sure if that effects the signal quality adding the extra connections.
I guess we will find out.

Last edited:
The tv in the master is about 2’ above the waterline. The mast is about 28’ when raised. We’re in the Tampa Bay Area and can pull stations from Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota, about 40 channels. That will make the Admiral happy.
Doing the wire run isn’t to bad but may need to do in 3 sections. Not sure if that effects the signal quality adding the extra connections.

Yes, adding connections can degrade the signal.

Also each of the connections is going to be a point of potential corrosion. If possible do a single run. Get an Omni directional had antenna.

Also each of the connections is going to be a point of potential corrosion. If possible do a single run. Get an Omni directional had antenna.
HA! omnidirectional. For years I keep calling them unidirectional. As many as I have put up on homes, you'd think I would have the terminology down pat. :eek:

Unidirectional is fine for homes as they tend not to move much (insert joke, earthquake, tornado etc) but a boat tends to need an Omni antenna to pick up best signal.

If you can do it in 3 pulls you should be able to use one long cable and pull to intermediate locations using a snake or pull cord. Install connectors last.
Much better for reasons provided.

There are amplifiers to mount up on the mast with the antenna so that they amplify a clean signal directly from the antenna. The power for the amplifier goes up the same cable that the signal comes down.

Be careful of what you ask for. Balun, splitter, coupler, connector, adapter, it's not all the same.

American Practical Navigator has an article on antennas, induction coils, rising and collapsing fields, a great read.

If you hold a fluorescent bulb up near an antenna and key the mike it will light up the bulb.

We have a Glomex Nashira 14" antenna with an amplifier, and it works well enough. Shakespeare makes a slightly larger one, 19" I think... but when I replaced our original Glomex 10" model I didn't have enough unobstructed space for the larger Shakespeare model.

You can check sights like TV Fool or the FCC site to predict what stations (and how many) you might receive from a given location.

-Chris

I replaced a generic omni antenna with a higher end/larger model and didn't gain any new channels. I may have noticed a slight increase in signal lock but it wasn't much.

Amplified/powered omnidirectional antenna is the only way to go. I would upgrade the cable to RG-6 Quad rated for direct burial or an outdoor cable. Just remember each cut is loss of the signal by 3 db. each splitter is 6 to 9 db. loss. If you need to split the signal better to use taps. Proper positioning of your amp is very important. You have to place the amp right before any splitting or tapping of the signal. Most of powered/amplified antennas need power for the internal circuitry, if you place amp/ps after the splitter or tap most likely your antenna will not work. Consumer grade splitters and tap do not pass voltage unless specified. And one more thing, do not neglect ground.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom