View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 AM   #13
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Hi all,

Just another quick update.

I ultimately didnt like the Xenarc 1029GNH. It was sturdy through some storms and worked, but was (1) too small for my taste and (2) the "virtual resolution" wasnt real resolution and was a but blurry. So, I either had to tolerate that or use the weird native resolution, which was a super wide aspect ratio. It was $800 wasted in my book. (Anyone wants one...I know where one can be gotten cheap.)

I replaced it with a 15" 1024x768 outdoor (panel mount) touch panel from Alibaba, specifically "Shenzhen Touch Think Intelligence Co., Ltd. ". It was $370, including shipping. 1200 nit.

It seems to work well. I am much happier so far. The only thing is that the controls dont do what I want in the sense that brightness and contrast adjustments dont have much effect and seem to adjust other image properties mildly. It looks good daylight, but is a little bright for night. Turning down both setting to 0 gets it almost where I want it. When I inquired, they told me better adjustments are available with the light sensor option, so next order they would include that.

I'll know more in a few weeks with use, but at the dock, I am much, much happier -- for less than half the price (well, 146% the price for me, counting the Xenarc waste...)

The seller was really helpful, but every detail needed to be spec'd. Didnt spec a brightness range, got what they thought I needed.

Cheers!

-Greg
STB is offline   Reply With Quote