View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #11
rpelton
Veteran Member

Islanders,

I think you mean the port side fuel tank. And yes, the port fuel tank is aye ok! We are running off that tank currently, with no problem.

Interestingly, I'm a bit suspect now over all the hysteria about older tanks, since digging into the starboard side tank. I've now got first hand experience. I decided to go at the starboard one first, because I had water infiltration and the top of the tank had rust. After cutting the entire top off, I could then inspect the tank from the inside. These tanks are 1/4 inch thick steel. It took me 3 days to cut the entire top off and grind the baffles out. I then cleaned the entire tank out, only to find that it was in great shape. The whole time I was wondering why I was doing this. My answer is that I can rest easy at night knowing that I've got solid fuel tanks.

In short, now that the tank top is cut off and the baffles are out, of course dropping a new tank inside is obviously a no-brainer. But given the condition of this tank, I'd think long and hard about going through the effort to replace the other one, given that I believe the reality is that there is no evidence that it would not last longer than most of us will be around.... But in any case, it was good to inspect this first hand.

Islanders, are you interested in seeing the boat? Let me know when you'd like to come by.

Best,
Bob
410-294-9998