Dinghy size/model for the ST 44?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saraml

Vessel Name
Westward Drift
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
We’re buying a Swift Trawler 44 for cruising the Pacific NW. Anyone have suggestions re: the size and model of a dinghy that will fit on the rear fly bridge. The space is actually fairly narrow. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We’re buying a Swift Trawler 44 for cruising the Pacific NW. Anyone have suggestions re: the size and model of a dinghy that will fit on the rear fly bridge. The space is actually fairly narrow. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are two main limitations: hoist load capacity, fly bridge space.

I spent a ton of time researching as I wanted to have a dinghy with console, steering wheel, etc, and once I added in batteries, fuel, etc to the dinghy and engine weight, I was over capacity. Another consideration is more weight higher up can equate to more rocking and rolling in less than calm seas. I did see one or two that installed a hydraulic crane with higher capacity. That was a big expense/project and I was concerned about adding more weight high up, so I have given up the idea for now.

I have had an ultra lightweight aluminum (UL) dinghy from AB. I was contemplating switching to their regular aluminum (AL) series as I wanted a flat floor and higher HP. I haven't made the switch yet but that is probably the route that I would go.

I actually kept the UL dinghy on its side on the fly bridge, tied down with rope and motor removed and stored on cockpit floor. I am now looking to keep the motor attached to the dinghy and keep everything on the fly bridge. I bought/made some softchocks. Now its only a matter of figuring out how to securely install tie-down points on the fly bridge to secure the dinghy to the fly bridge deck. If anyone has any tips/pictures specific to the ST44 on this that would be great! I dont think there is any access to through bolt to the fly bridge deck and I dont know how thick it is...

Last edited:
Easy, a nice sailing dinghy!

Attachments

• IMG_6466-001.JPG
    IMG_6466-001.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 100
Contact Steve Elliott at NW Inflatable Boats (253) 432-3465 - he should be able to make a good recommendation: https://www.nwinflatables.com/

We have an Apex A-12 with a 30 HP outboard and I think it’s at the limit for what our ST50 can handle. When the dinghy is up on the flybridge we can’t access our flybridge refrigerator or trash can and using the grill becomes a bit of a boat yoga thing!

My experience for all boats is to get a tender that is an appropriate size for your needs but mostly for your boat. Our A-12 was a bit oversized for our previous boat (Sea Ray Sundancer 450) and we had issues with it because of that. I’m glad to have it now but had we kept the Sea Ray we likely would have downsized the dinghy.

Sandy

We have an Arimar 320 with a Mercury 20 HP outboard, steering stand. The dinghy was to heavy to handle for us and the outboard not only weighted 60 kg but was also overpowered for the dinghy as well. We have a crane but neverthless. We removed the steering stand and the Mercury outboard and replaced it with an electrical outboard. A Torqeedo Travel 1103 C. The Torqeedo comes in three pieces which are very easy to handle separately. Battery is included and all kind of electronic gadgets like GPS, Phone charger . The Torqeedo can be stored in two bags. No more gasoline and no more oil changes and so on. It saves time

Paul

We have an Arimar 320 with a Mercury 20 HP outboard, steering stand. The dinghy was to heavy to handle for us and the outboard not only weighted 60 kg but was also overpowered for the dinghy as well. We have a crane but neverthless. We removed the steering stand and the Mercury outboard and replaced it with an electrical outboard. A Torqeedo Travel 1103 C. The Torqeedo comes in three pieces which are very easy to handle separately. Battery is included and all kind of electronic gadgets like GPS, Phone charger . The Torqeedo can be stored in two bags. No more gasoline and no more oil changes and so on. It saves time

Paul

We owned a Torqeedo very briefly. They are great little outboards however you have to be very honest with yourself regarding where you're going to use your dinghy. If it's just to get back and forth from an anchorage to shore or for very short distances they're just fine. For going any distance I would not recommend them. We found ours to be under-powered, the battery died very quickly and then it took a very long time to recharge. We returned it the following week.

I don't like dealing with gasoline and the related maintenance on our current dinghy however it's been extremely reliable and has allowed us to explore further in areas that I would have felt uncomfortable doing with a Torqueedo. I suppose you could purchase a second battery but they are really expensive.

Just my two cents.

Sandy

We owned a Torqeedo very briefly. They are great little outboards however you have to be very honest with yourself regarding where you're going to use your dinghy. If it's just to get back and forth from an anchorage to shore or for very short distances they're just fine. For going any distance I would not recommend them. We found ours to be under-powered, the battery died very quickly and then it took a very long time to recharge. We returned it the following week.

I don't like dealing with gasoline and the related maintenance on our current dinghy however it's been extremely reliable and has allowed us to explore further in areas that I would have felt uncomfortable doing with a Torqueedo. I suppose you could purchase a second battery but they are really expensive.

Just my two cents.

Sandy

I’ve owned a Torqueedo for a number of years. I had it for my inflatable dingy on my sailboat and am now using it on my RIB and rowing dinghy. I really like it. However, you are right that it is slow and it has a limited range. It does work great to get to and from shore, or tool around an anchorage. It isn’t good for taking the dink a couple miles to pick up supplies.

The answer isnt inherent in the boat, it's about you. My 41' trawler came with a little Bullfrog 20hp speedboat, but while i certainly use it, i immediately purchased a sailing dinghy sized to the boat deck, because thats where my heart is...and then theres my wife's kayak...
Figure out what YOU want, not the boat.

Based on what i've seen it's 10'6"x4'11". This is strictly coming from "Advertised" space from Beneteau and I don't own a swift 44.

Based on those dimensions i'd want a Livingston LV10 but being a Catamaran might be an issue for the cradle. It's also has a 5'2" beam(highly doubt it's a problem). If you don't need a boat to run miles and miles(I like to fish from my dinghy) then a Portland Pudgy is hard to beat.

I can tell you to avoid the West Marine/Sun dolphin 10' rigid dinghy. I have one and hate it(you get what you pay for)..

1VU03rYl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom