Smart “Y” (2 30a that feeds 1 50a) that works with ELCI pedestals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Now that we are using a single 50a/250v shorepower setup, I realized that we’ll need an adapter to get power from 30a docks.

What Smart Y works with the new ELCI dockpower standard?

Wow, that's a really good question. I think the answer will be "none". As I understand ELCIs, they look for a difference in current between the line and neutral on a 120V circuit like a 30A dock outlet. If there is any difference, they assume is had gone missing in a bad way, and shut off. But with one of those combiners, any 240V loads will have zero neutral current on both 30A outlets, so both should pop. I think we are screwed with these combiner devices moving forward.

I'm boatless currently, but it would be really interesting to hear from anyone who can test this.

Indeed. Seems that I can get the Hubbell Y adapter and feed the boat at a diminished capacity. Can make this work, but full power would be better.

I have one of these which solved the 208 volt and same phase problems I have experienced with the smart Y. Without the ability to match amperage hot to neutral, I doubt it would be any different than the smart Y.

Dumb Y

Ted

I can see why you can't use both 30A shorepower sources with ELCI protection. But can't you use one 30A source feeding the neutral and one of the hots on the 220V shore power. That should be enough to serve most AC circuits since the second leg of 220V is usually used for a primary or the second air conditioner.

David

Let me throw a wrench into the mix for the electrical guru TFers:

When installing the isolation transformer, the neutral is not connected on the inlet side- only black, red, and green.

How will this affect the 30a "Y" connector used to adapt to the single 50a? Will the lack of a neutral shut down the adapter allowing any power to pass thru?

Ahhh! You didn't say your boat had an isolation transformer that requires both legs of 220V. I don't think any type of 30A to 50A adapter will work with an ELCI at the source.

David

On certain docks, we had to use 30-amp sources from two different pedestals or our Smart Y would trip. Can’t recall if the issue was differing phases, polarity or what. Bought a 30-amp extension cord to reach nearby pedestals and no more issues. We also have an isolation transformer and had zero pedestal trips at any marina whether connected to 30 or 50-amps.

On certain docks, we had to use 30-amp sources from two different pedestals or our Smart Y would trip. Can’t recall if the issue was differing phases, polarity or what. Bought a 30-amp extension cord to reach nearby pedestals and no more issues. We also have an isolation transformer and had zero pedestal trips at any marina whether connected to 30 or 50-amps.

Perfect- this I can make work!

Which Smart Y do you have?

angus99:

Did this work for you in marinas with ELCI protection?

David

Let me throw a wrench into the mix for the electrical guru TFers:

When installing the isolation transformer, the neutral is not connected on the inlet side- only black, red, and green.

How will this affect the 30a "Y" connector used to adapt to the single 50a? Will the lack of a neutral shut down the adapter allowing any power to pass thru?

I think that will always trip because all loads are 240V on the shore side of the transformer.

That's a pretty typical use for a Smart Y, but were these ELCI breakers at the shore power posts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom