cooking on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
With all the new cooking devices around today I was wondering what you boaters are using on your boat? Tom

I replaced the spiral element electric stove top with and induction unit. I love it. It heats very, very quickly and doesn't bake spilled food on the glass because the pot gets hot, not the glass.

The only downside is that you have to use ferrous insert (or cast iron) pans and skillets.

David

I use a crock pot a lot. Make the meal the night before, refrigerate, take out when getting underway to warm up a bit, then cook as normal off inverter power.

Ready for after docking or dropping anchor.

An Instant pot nay be a good alternative as it can slow cook and other ways.

I replaced the spiral element electric stove top with and induction unit. I love it. It heats very, very quickly and doesn't bake spilled food on the glass because the pot gets hot, not the glass.

The only downside is that you have to use ferrous insert (or cast iron) pans and skillets.

David
I thought you could use any steel, SS, or iron cookware on those.

Since we configured our boat for multi-day off shore fishing trips, we went overboard with cooking alternatives. Perhaps most unusual is the beni Hana grill (tepanaki cooking). There is a propane bbq, with rotisserie, vacuum packing machine for sous vide cooking, a full size oven (electric) that can fit a big turkey, and conventional Viking gas (propane) range. Plus some portable appliance including a hot dog machine (like they have at convenience stores and movie theatres, which keep some dogs rolling around all day), a rice cooker (goes hand in hand with the beni hana table), a conventional deep fryer, and an air fryer, as well as a semi-portable smoker. I don't think there is anything we can cook at home that we can't cook on the boat.

Aboard Seaweed I have two propane burners. I also have a single 900watt electric burner ($10 from Walmart)

Mostly though I use the microwave. I am in a "not cooking much" period. I go through these from time to time.

The boat over a few slips from me has a toaster oven that I use from time to time. I like that a lot and if I had room for one, I'd have it aboard my home too. Pizza!!!

I thought the insta pot was overhyped but now that we have one we use it constantly at home. We chartered last December and the boat had one on board. Downside is - like with a toaster or coffee maker - you may need the generator running if you have other loads on the inverter.

Last edited:
We've been using the Ninja Foodie. It takes up a chunk of counter space, but we don't have an oven. It's been excellent at cooking briskets (better than we can do at home :blush:). Steams, pressure cooks, crisps and air dries.
Highly recommend.

Brisket.jpg

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-pressure-cooker-op302/14/microsite/ogxxiii/

Todd

I use Watfa, expensive but the food is great. :)

With all the new cooking devices around today I was wondering what you boaters are using on your boat? Tom
We use everything! Induction cook top, micro wave, barbecue, etc.:dance:

Attachments

• induction & Walt.jpg
    induction & Walt.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Induction.jpg
    Induction.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 114
Wifey B: Electric grills, electric ovens, electric induction cooktop, electric Instant Pots. Microwave only for warming and to drive Bruce and Dorsey crazy, wherever they are. :D

Most stainless steel cookware doesn't work.

David
That is a very broad statement. In fact, all of my stainless steel cookware works with induction. A magnet test will reveal whether the cookware will will work. Or, look at the stampings on the bottom. I do believe that, with the more widespread use of induction cooktops, manufacturers are making their cookware induction capable.

Last edited:
I use 2 induction hot plates when it's too hot for the diesel stove. I mostly use cast iron, but have some ss cookware that works with induction. You can buy a metal disk that goes between the induction surface and a non magnetic ss pan. The disk gets hot and transfers the heat.

Hiller range,multiple propane surface burners and oven.

Gymboled and with fiddle rails ,,,, just in case.

No gadgets allowed on our boat, not enough counter space or storage space. We actually eat much better on the boat than at home. I have a propane grill on the aft rail which cooks all our burgers, brats, chops and steaks. On the stove or microwave either some veggies or potatoes, often sweet corn boiled on the stove. Usually fruit from the cooler for breakfast and cheese, crackers, sausage etc. for lunch, usually while underway on the flybridge. Microwave popcorn at night for a snack. Simple, fast, easy cleanup.

pete

Propane stove and oven, Magma grill on deck, or marina grill when we're in port (not allowed to grill on the boat while in the marina).

A friend had a CharKing, I think that's the name, home-style propane grill on his pontoon. :facepalm:

Thanks Jack, she’s planning a big meal for February and she says you have to eat there this year. No excuses.

Nothing special here. Inlaid ceramic two-burner electric cooktop, combo microwave/convection oven, B&D Spacesaver coffeemaker, ... plus Instant Pot, crockpot, countertop toaster, and sometimes a Magma propane grill in the cockpit.

We've had the crockpot onboard forever; don't need it now given the Instant Pot will slow cook, too... but I haven't bothered to offload the crockpot.

Our built-in cooktop is maybe going on the fritz, and if it really does that I'll likely replace it with an induction version.

-Chris

I tend to use the grill (weber Q1000) and keep in simple. I have a stove and oven and rarely use them(create too much heat in the cabin).

My boat spends most of it's time within 15 miles of home port though(lack of time).

Greetings,
Mr. t. 3 burner propane stove with oven, microwave. We DO have a round Magma grill BUT....While I can cook almost anything I have never been able to consistently grill food so it gets very little use. No damn good on the grill at home either.

giphy.webp

We have a propane grill on the cockpit rail, a JennAire two-burner electric cooktop, a powerful microwave convection oven that we love, a single-burner electric hotplate, a slow cooker, and a Ninja coffee maker. Seems like there might be a toaster somewhere, too, left over from the previous owner, but we've never used it. We're able to cook just about anything we could cook at home except a really large turkey.

I tend to use the grill (Weber Q1000) and keep in simple. I have a stove and oven and rarely use them(create too much heat in the cabin)

We have a similar setup. I have a Weber Q2200 and love it.

When we bought the boat it had a very old propane cooktop and a microwave where the oven should be. It also had a coffee maker velcroed to the countertop.

We tossed the microwave and coffee maker and removed the cooktop. Installed a new Dickinson Mediterranean and added a toaster and a hot pot.

We use the Weber 4-5 times a week, stove 4-5 times a week, the oven 2-3 times a week, and the toaster and hot pot daily.

New Cooking Devices

Tom,

Lots of good answers here. We lived on board for 5 and cruised extensively for 2 prior to taking a small, and unwanted break from the boat (family related).

When traveling, we used our grill most often as I fished (actually caught too) very frequently. Another tool in my box was a stand-alone burner and small smoker to smoke my catch and seal it for later use. If you fish, you should have a sealer on board.

When on anchor, we found the use of pressure cooking to be favorable for speed of cooking. Since we've been back on dirt, we've come to love the Instant Pot so that's definitely going back on board next year when we move back.

We also have a convection microwave, three burner propane stove/oven and all the associated kitchen gadgets that we love for cooking. No need to skimp if you have the room and power to run these IMHO.

We're adding solar and possibly upgrading our battery bank prior to our next cruise so maybe we'll look at the induction tops so many seem to love.

-Randy
m/v Antipodes
Currently in Ensenada Mexico for a refit

Coleman 2 burner propane stove, Cobb Grill.

A George Foreman grill is great for paninis etc. not my only cooking device but simple enough when things are moving around and lumpy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom