View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
GraniteStater
Veteran Member

City: Squam Lake
Vessel Model: Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
More random newb questions....

Thanks in advance for all the helpful insights!

For the sake of discussion lets assume we are talking about something approximately 50ft in length with either a full displacement or modified displacement hull. Open flybridge is a must (I say this because it might impact the davit discussion).

1. It appears that twin engines draw a lot less than a single. Why? Maneuvering is obviously easier with twins. Plus the "get home" factor. But two engines cost more and take up more space in the engine room. What are the other plusses and minuses of twin engines? We live on the east coast and are likely to spend a lot of time in the Bahamas so having a shallower draft is a big plus.

2. Do wood cap rails have any functional purpose or is it strictly a "looking good" sort of thing? It seems like a lot of extra work to keep it looking nice in the tropics....

3. It would appear that its not ideal to have a stern mounted tender. But I see lots and lots of pics of stern mounted tenders on TF. I get it puts the hardware in the middle of the swimdeck but I'd think having a dinghy that close to the water would make life easier. Thoughts on the plusses/minuses and best way to do it?

I've got hundreds of more questions but its amazing how many answers I've been able to find on this forum!

Thanks
GraniteStater is offline   Reply With Quote