wire on starter (red)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardschmidt2759

Veteran Member
I have a red wire on the starter of my perkins 6-354 200 hp. in a Mainship 1, It goes to a fuse holder mounted on the eng stringer next to eng, It goes into the wire harness , I think it may go to the switch for the air intake heater, it looks like the same size and color as the wire on the heater. should I just get in there with a test light and see if the fuse gets power when I push the button ?. prob is I cant use the light and push the button at the same time . I don't own a multi meter so need a test lite , just thought someone might know , before I break my butt trying to get down there.( I'm fat) Thanks.

Does it matter?

Or are you looking to diagnose a problem?
If so what is the problem?

When you remove the fuse what happens? I m guessing that fuse is the control power for the engine panel
What is the problem you are trying to diagnose?
Ps a digital VOM will pay for itself dozens of times over and is concidered essential cruising gear.

Buy a multimeter. You will need it time and time again.

I second that.

I can not see how anyone can go through life without at least one digital multimeter, especially on a boat.

I concur. Buy the DVM or hire a pro with a DVM.

Which is preferred?

Where does the red wire attach to the starter - at the main cable terminal or on a smaller terminal? Usually a glow plug/intake air heater goes thru a relay and the button only turns the relay on (so 12v power doesn't have to go to the steering station and back, just from the starter main terminal or 12v pos buss.

When I'm tracing wiring by myself, I use a 12v bell added to the circuit.

I'll echo the others' query- what's the problem? Basic troubleshooting has at the root defining the problem. The other tenet of troubleshooting is to know how something is supposed to work. If you don't know HOW it works, there's no way you can know if it's NOT working, and the extension of that is that you can't fix what you don't understand.

It sounds like you're pursuing a solution in search of a problem.
Define the problem.
Yes, get a DVM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom