Barrier Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cigatoo

Guru
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Just finished barrier coating our GB 36. Thought that I would post the specific costs so others might know what they are getting into.

Glass bead blast bottom. (Subbed out) $2800
(As a note I think that glass is too aggressive just to remove paint. I would use soda next time)
8 gallons Interlux 2000e $800.00
2 Gallons Petit bottom paint $300.
A coat took about 1 gallon per side on the bottom using a 3/8 nap roller so a total of 4 coats was required to use the 8 gallons. I alternated from gray to white color so that I could assure good coverage. The Interlux sheet says 6 gallons was required to obtain the 10 mil required thickness on this boat. I always add an extra coat for “the holidays” when painting. On the final coat I did 1 side with barrier coat followed immediately with solvent based ablative bottom paint. The barrier coat passed the “thumb print” test after finishing the first side. (About 1.5 hours). The 2000e drys quickly even at 65 degrees.

This a long hard dirty job although I was getting pretty good at it towards the last coat :)
Labor was about 3 hours per coat (4 coats of 2000e plus 1 coat bottom paint) equal 15 hours.
Prep and taping time maybe 5 hours total? So plan on a total of 20 hours of hard work.

Update. Did all coats on the hull leaving a wide berth around the stands. Then moved all stands and did 4 coats plus bottom paint where each pad was. Add another quart of barrier coat. Mixing 3 to 1 in small batches using epoxy mixing pots. Add another $60 for the quart of barrier coat and probably 3 hours.

Last edited:
Just curious... did you move stands / blocking for each coat or at the end to cover the support points?
I did a bottom w barrier & new bottom paint many yrs ago and moving supports took as much time as doing the large areas.

Just curious... did you move stands / blocking for each coat or at the end to cover the support points?
I did a bottom w barrier & new bottom paint many yrs ago and moving supports took as much time as doing the large areas.

Updated my post.

Your cost is not out of align. The yard, I use, charges about $640 per coat of bottom paint and I put 3 coats on and a 4th coat below the boot top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom