View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Pcpete

City: Mukilteo, WA
Vessel Name: Glauben
Vessel Model: 1988 3818 Bayliner
Asking, not challenging, but about that breaker within 10’ of the inlet by wire travel. That’s a new wrinkle to me. If the shore power stand is properly wired, and the isolation transformer is properly installed, why would there need to be an additional breaker?
For instance, my 1988 Bayliner 3818 was built with two 30amp inlets just forward of the cockpit. Since I don’t have air conditioning, 30 amps is all I need. The inlets are 15’ from the distribution panel as the wires are run. Are you suggesting that I need to install a double pole breaker in that system? My plan is to disconnect one of the inlets, add a new inlet on the transom then use an automatic transfer switch to open the unused inlet when the other closes and combine the two panel wires so the transfer switch acts as a Y cable. I want to do this correctly, but it seems like the configuration would be GFI at the dock, outlet, cord, inlet, GFI, transfer switch, isolator, panel rotary selector, buss breaker, circuit breaker, load.
Have I got this right?
Pcpete is offline   Reply With Quote