Radio suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
My backup to my dead backup radio is not responsive. So that’s two now dead radios that came from PO.

Wanted to replace with a basic no frills radio (really how many gps devices do you really need? Right now I count 5).

Read some reviews of the cheapest and it made enough of an impression for me to shell out a few more bucks for something better.

Suggestions? ( right now I have a DSC radio that is always on 16 and a handheld ditch bag radio always on 13. This would be for a second radio in the pilot house and no waterproofing is required.)

I used to buy Icom vhfs, a few didn't last very long, so I started buying Standard Horizon. No problems and they are good value for the money. I'm with Irene.

I agree with Standard Horizon and also that some of them can get so complicated that you rarely if ever use half the features available with the multi-function keys. A good basic radio that will monitor 2 channels is a good resource.

Standard Horizon is what I use.

Though I have an old ICOM VHF from the 1980's that has better range and reception then every new VHF I've bought to replace it with. So we have both radios installed.

No frills, try a used Icom M125 or M127. Watch out for sun burned out displays. Excellent non-DSC radios otherwise.

So I looked on eBay for a used radio and they go for 50% of new or higher. Not worth it for used electronics.

Back
Top Bottom