Tundra Refrigerator Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
I have a 2004 Selene 53' which needs a new refrigerator. It currently has a Tundra 120/24 volt RV refrigerator. What can fill the space with a traditional refrigerator?

OCDiver had a recent thread on refer replacement, maybe look at it.

Greetings,
Mr. js. Almost anything that will fit will work provided there is allowance made for ventilation to dissipate heat. Either buy a unit that vents at the front or allow enough space around the unit for heat dissipation. You might add fans to help in heat removal from the cooling coils.
We replaced a domestic (non marine) 110v unit with a similar unit BUT it died an early death due to clearances insufficient to allow proper cooling of coils. Replaced THAT unit with a smaller one and it works well.

The front venting units have better performance and less risk of failure , depending on how well the boat assembler did the reefer venting.

Check out the Vitrofrego line of refrig appliances for marine service.

The PO installed a Vitrifugo refer in our boat. It really did not cool well. We added 2 vents, 1 high and 1 low. The circuit board has a power tap for a fan up to .5 amp draw. We put a fan on the lower vent blowing into the cabinet that draws .05 amp. What a difference, it works great now. Between the vents and the fan the refer does an excellent job now. Just shows that a good product in a poor installation doesn’t work.

I have a 2004 Selene 53' which needs a new refrigerator. It currently has a Tundra 120/24 volt RV refrigerator. What can fill the space with a traditional refrigerator?

I just installed the same unit that Ted installed on his boat who did an excellent post on the subject. That post is identified above.

The opening for the fridge on your boat is most likely the same as our’s. We did have to modify the cabinet by removing the cabinet above, but the Admiral really likes the larger unit. As for power consumption, we just finished up a 3 day shake down and I believe the power consumption was actually a bit better than with the previous marine fridge. Why I didn’t put one of these in 4 years ago......just call me slow.

PM me if you need any additional help.

Insulation is a great assist to most fridges.
If there is room the sides of the fridge can have good insulation glued on .

.Remember most house fridges are sold by their interior volume , not their efficiency.

The tiny current required for a 12V computer fan is worth the effort , if the fridge does not vent to the front.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom