Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Boating season is fast approaching (at least it is here).* I'd like to get the ball rolling with an old boating tradition -- slamming Sea Ray.**I know there are Sea Ray owners among us, and I like some of you*
smile.gif
.* So this*is nothing personal, just being funny.*

Attachments

• searayvstrawler.jpg
    searayvstrawler.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 472
you left off the best part of the comparison;

Wash: high and will require others to have everything battened down securely

versus: What is a wash?

Can you get a SR with:

galley up

teak decks

stand up engine room

lower helm

full displacement hull

Not that I am looking ......

Usually when people start on Sea Rays...I liven it up by bashing Boston Whalers or Grady Whites...WAYYYYY overpriced for what they are and not even built as well as Sea Rays and the owners...man...don't get me started!!!
biggrin.gif

I always wondered why they run with the bow up like that. I've owned express cruisers over the years and could always bring the bow down with the tabs so I could see what was in front of me.
John
390 Mainship

johnma wrote:
I always wondered why they run with the bow up like that. I've owned express cruisers over the years and could always bring the bow down with the tabs so I could see what was in front of me.
John
390 Mainship
*photo shoot?

twiisted71 wrote:
It's so they can wake the hell out of us slow boaters!
The only thing worse is a trawler owner who has a 7-8 knot hull that tries to push it at 9+ knots... and figures he's a trawler and doesn't slow down for anything!!! Including marinas and gas docks...
evileye.gif

johnma wrote:
John
390 Mainship
*SeaRays aren't inherently bad. *I think one of the main problems is because they are flashy and attract many first time boat owners. *They don't seam to observe the rules.

If you will notice their front decks all slope forward. *That's because they are designed to run in a bow up attitude. *When on a SeaRay express what bothers me most is the windshield height. *If you stand to drive you have to stretch to see over the top of the windhield. *If you are sitting, the windshield top cuts across your field of view. *So I wind up crouching to get a clear view.

Here is a picture on the NC ICW. *The fact that I arrived at the bridge 15 minutes before a cruise of several SeaRays got to the other side, cut no ice with them .. They all pushed through before letting me through. *Of course they were struggling to get on plane as the went by me. *This is what gives SeaRays a bad name.

Wilmington%20Sunset%20Beach%20Pontoon%20Bridge%20weblog.jpg

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 09:32:40 PM

Why do they keep their spotlight on all the time, do they think it's a headlight?

Pinball63 wrote:
Why do they keep their spotlight on all the time, do they think it's a headlight?
*So far, the only exterior light I've shown at night has been an anchor light, nevertheless ...

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 10:15:52 PM

Attachments

• coot at night.jpg
    coot at night.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 858
Boats built to a price point weather TT or Bayliner or Sea Ray ARE built to a price point.

Purchase one of your choice , but be aware of the limitations of "low inital cost."

Many of my friends and marina neighbors own Sea Ray and similar boats. They all seem to enjoy their boats as much as I enjoy mine. Their style of boating is different from mine of course, but there's really no "right" or "wrong" in boating as long as you're enjoying it and not harming other people or property.

Moonstruck wrote:
Here is a picture on the NC ICW. *The fact that I arrived at the bridge 15 minutes before a cruise of several SeaRays got to the other side, cut no ice with them .. They all pushed through before letting me through. *Of course they were struggling to get on plane as the went by me. *This is what gives SeaRays a bad name.

Who was with the current and who was against it?

I've only been in that situation once but it was one boat on the other side.* I was traveling with the current and the other boater let me pass first.

rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

I've only been in that situation once but it was one boat on the other side.* I was traveling with the current and the other boater let me pass first.

*New Years day was the first time that I saw and heard this enforced by the bridge tender.* We were standing by for the Beaufort Bridge in Beaufort NC.* We and several other boats were on the south side as were several boat on the north side of the bridge.* As folks approached and asked for an opening the bridge*tender acknowledge them and he explained that when he did open,*the boats on the south side heading up the the channel had the right of way due to the in coming tide.* He did enforce it.

JD wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*New Years day was the first time that I saw and heard this enforced by the bridge tender.* We were standing by for the Beaufort Bridge in Beaufort NC.* We and several other boats were on the south side as were several boat on the north side of the bridge.* As folks approached and asked for an opening the bridge*tender acknowledge them and he explained that when he did open,*the boats on the south side heading up the the channel had the right of way due to the in coming tide.* He did enforce it.

*Unless it's a local "rule" or law...there is no such thing as a "downbound"*on the East Coast...It's a western river's only rule.

However it is a "courtesy"...so I'd love to know how the bridge tender "enforced" it.*

psneeld wrote:JD wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*Unless it's a local "rule" or law...there is no such thing as a "downbound"*on the East Coast...It's a western river's only rule.

However it is a "courtesy"...so I'd love to know how the bridge tender "enforced" it.*

*Well he enforced it by telling the boats on the north side to stand by and the north bound boats to proceed through the bridge.* They did and we did.*That's enforced enough for me.

I don't think anyone was interested in finding out if he was going to shoot them or not if they didn't.

I don't recall me saying it was a rule.* I said this was the first time I had heard of it.* But thanks for clearing that up.

*I* thought it was a nautical right-of-way. Shows what I know. Nevertheless, I will always contact the boats on the other side of the bridge and work it out ahead of time. Most of them, even the BlingBoats, know what the deal is. I won't judge SeaRay's because: a) We almost bought one b) JD, his lovely wife, Bess and myself have some lovely friends that own a 50' SeaRay and still another with a 42' SeaRay trawler.

Now Bayliner owners? THEY are the dillweeds ;-) (j/k)

Tom-

The rudest bridge tender on earth works the drawbridge on our creek.* He almost dropped the bridge on us once as we were approaching.* "All astern" or we would have gotten hammered.

So we called him and asked WTF you doing? Even though we were waiting in line, in clear sight and were following another boat through, since we didn't call the guy and announce our intentions he believed he had the right to close the bridge.* Typical minor bureaucrat showing me his power. What a jerk!

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
The rudest bridge tender on earth works the drawbridge on our creek.* He almost dropped the bridge on us once as we were approaching.* "All astern" or we would have gotten hammered.

So we called him and asked WTF you doing? Even though we were waiting in line, in clear sight and were following another boat through, since we didn't call the guy and announce our intentions he believed he had the right to close the bridge.* Typical minor bureaucrat showing me his power. What a jerk!
The rules do state that every vessel requesting an opening has to signal...I'm not sure and the rules aren't clear as to what the bridge tender is allowed to do.

-- Edited by psneeld on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:06:26 AM

4 boats idling and circling while waiting for the scheduled opening.* 1 sailboat goes through first, downstream, and then the powerboats queue up to go through upstream.* Let 2 get through and drop the bridge on the 3rd?

One would assume a little common sense should be exercised.* I guess that's what I get for making an assumption.

Had a better experience at the Mare Island Causeway Bridge.** The bridge tender had raised the bridge for a boat several minutes ahead, but kept it open for me.* Now, if I had been in a vehicle waiting to cross the bridge ...

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
4 boats idling and circling while waiting for the scheduled opening.* 1 sailboat goes through first, downstream, and then the powerboats queue up to go through upstream.* Let 2 get through and drop the bridge on the 3rd?

One would assume a little common sense should be exercised.* I guess that's what I get for making an assumption.
*I understand your point..but many bridges are under a lot of pressure to not open at all..so a tender is*probably instructed to follow proceedures and if the boats don't follow proceedures... they log it...so it can be shoved up our butts at a later date...

One time, the Alfred A. Cunningham Bridge in New Bern saw us coming and hailed US on Channel 13. "Skinny Dippin', is that you? Okay, we'll open for you when you get in range." :-D

markpierce wrote:
Had a better experience at the Mare Island Causeway Bridge.** The bridge tender had raised the bridge for a boat several minutes ahead, but kept it open for me.* Now, if I had been in a vehicle waiting to cross the bridge ...
*As a commercial tower and often barge pusher...plus delivery captain between NJ and Florida...I have had pretty good luck with bridge tenders...

They get a little jittery during the spring/fall rush of snowbirds and the height of summer dipshi* traffic.

You sound polite, cooperative and patient on the radio...and they are usually (I said usually) very nice in return.

My favorite is the Alligator River Bridge along the ICW.* They have a high winds restriction and if you don't get through..boy it REALLY interupts your ICW plans.* The guys when you call them on the phone act like you are family they are so nice and cooperative.* Can't ask for more than that!!!

I don't mind the thread drift on this because the initial post was tongue in cheek anyway...
wink.gif

A lot of misinfo on bridges as well as issues with road demons thinking their schedule should dictate those of us on the water that have beeen traveling that way since before revolutionary times!!!

I dont see how you can compare a trawler VS a SeaRay as they are to very different appearance, function and therefore buyers.* Its like comparing a mini van to a sports car.* Besides owing a ugly slow trawler, we have always owned faster run about because of the faster speed and increase range/ *
As for bridges, there are two bridges that have to be raised/lowered from the Puget Sound to Lake Washington with hundreds of boats and each bridge has thousand of cars each day.* During the high traffic hours they would let the boats pile up before opening the bridge and let them all though as it took more time to open and close the bridge as it did for the boats to go through.*
One of the first things I did after buying the big ugly trawler as to cut about 3 ft off the mast so we could make it under the bridges, as it was not worth the*aggravation and frustration having to wait.******

Phil Fill wrote:I dont see how you can compare a trawler VS a SeaRay as they are to very different appearance, function and therefore buyers.* Its like comparing a mini van to a sports car.* Besides owing a ugly slow trawler, we have always owned faster run about because of the faster speed and increase range/ *
As for bridges, there are two bridges that have to be raised/lowered from the Puget Sound to Lake Washington with hundreds of boats and each bridge has thousand of cars each day.* During the high traffic hours they would let the boats pile up before opening the bridge and let them all though as it took more time to open and close the bridge as it did for the boats to go through.*
One of the first things I did after buying the big ugly trawler as to cut about 3 ft off the mast so we could make it under the bridges, as it was not worth the*aggravation and frustration having to wait.******
You are correct...the big difference is cruisers versus dockominiums or daytrippers.*I know some Sea Ray guys that put trawler guys to shame as far as miles*underway every year as well as boating knowledge.* They just have the gas money to use and speed is more important to them.

psneeld wrote:
My favorite is the Alligator River Bridge along the ICW.* They have a high winds restriction and if you don't get through..boy it REALLY interupts your ICW plans.* The guys when you call them on the phone act like you are family they are so nice and cooperative.* Can't ask for more than that!!!

*I was coming across Albemarle Sound with about a 5-6' following sea on my butt. *Making *25 knots, and it was too nasty to slow down. *I called the Alligator River bridge tender telling him my situation. *I said that I will be coming through with antannae and outriggers up. *He said," no problem Cap. Keep 'er coming". *The swing bridge was not open, so I called him again. *He said, "keep 'er coming". *I blasted through between the fenders at 25 knots riding a wave. *The bridge was swing open as I went through. *Those guys were great.**

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom