Still Contemplating 2006 MS 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there are no leaks, no corrosion, the engines start right up from cold, smoke stops after warm up, you can hear the turbo spool up, boat runs at WOT without overheating, temperatures taken with laser on each engine match, engine room looks clean, invoices for work are there or a maintenance log - I'd say you have better than anything an engine survey could tell you. these engines are very reliable and forgiving.

2006 Mainship Trawler

Do any of you know what the subfloor construction is under the salon carpet?
Or please refer me to another post with more information about the salon carpet.

marine plywood.

may have a fake teak/holly veneer, or a cherry veneer, but likely designed strictly for carpet.
You must look at it. boats are not as standardized as cars. there's something special or different or stupid on every single one!

2006 Mainship 34T

Just quickly scanned through your thread. Interesting to hear about boat values in Canada Vs. the U.S.

It sounds like you have your sights on a nice boat.

I won’t venture in to the moisture aspect as you have been given some good advice already.

Regarding the survey, I think 99 percent of the people on here will recommend you get a good Hull and Mechanical survey done. Pay for a thorough one, it’s worth it.

Thanks, Fletcher. I hired a highly qualified marine surveyor whom I found during my research, and completed the first on-the-hard phase of the inspection. The second in-the-drink phase is scheduled for tomorrow. And I've arranged for a diesel mechanic/technician with 25 years experience to inspect the ER with me. Thanks again.

Thanks Ron, going for a second hard look at the 34T in a few hours. I saw it at a local boat show about 3 weeks ago early in the morning. The carpet felt damp on my bare feet, so I don’t know if it was cleaned the night before or is there another issue. Here’s a loaded question, do you have any advice for me being a shopper to check out on the boat. I’ll certainly have all surveys performed if I decide to purchase the boat. It has the Cummins:
Engine Model: 5.9M3
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2800
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 370 HP

Thanks for your help,
Mike

That's okay, Mike. Not the first time ... and no doubt that I've been called worse. :)

During an initial inspection of a boat, and much to the broker's chagrin, I spend at least an hour looking carefully at the hull and deck, thru-hulls, running gear and flybridge looking for any irregularities. Inside, I open every door, drawer, hatch and window for proper operation and signs of mold. Bilge is checked for oil and fluids. I guess you could say that I do a pre-survey inspection.

I found this site helpful, and I've read David Pascoe's book, Mid Size Power Boats. These 2 resources helped me in a big way to understand more about what I was seeking.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom