Didn't think this was the way Nexus worked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Sunday we entered into Canada and while still 30 minutes out of Bedwell Harbor I called the Nexus number. Spent a few minutes answering a few questions, he gave me a clearance number, then told me to go into Bedwell Harbor and tie up. If no one show's up in 30 minutes, your free to go.

We tied up, waited 40 minutes (just to be safe) , no one showed up, so we left. Don't remember any of that being on the Nexus web site.

Sunday we entered into Canada and while still 30 minutes out of Bedwell Harbor I called the Nexus number. Spent a few minutes answering a few questions, he gave me a clearance number, then told me to go into Bedwell Harbor and tie up. If no one show's up in 30 minutes, your free to go.

We tied up, waited 40 minutes (just to be safe) , no one showed up, so we left. Don't remember any of that being on the Nexus web site.

It does happen. We've been asked to go the the dock at ganges, Victoria, and port browning to wait for a specific amount of time.

Never had them ask me to wait. Has always been a case of show up at stated time, if no one there continue on.

I wonder if things become different at Victoria, Sydney and Bidwell do to official custom stops.

Remember that at Poet’s Cove (Bedwell Harbour) customs dock has cameras. It’s very possible that they observed you, saw that you were who you said you were and allowed you to continue on. Had there been issues they may have sent someone to speak to you.

In the future, you might consider registering with the ROAM application. Then all of your information is stored in the app and available for customs and you clear on the app - without having to call in for clearance. We’re heading to Canada next month and I’ll be testing the ROAM app for the first time.

In the future, you might consider registering with the ROAM application. Then all of your information is stored in the app and available for customs and you clear on the app - without having to call in for clearance. We’re heading to Canada next month and I’ll be testing the ROAM app for the first time.

Hey Sandy- the ROAM app can be used to fulfill reporting requirements coming back into America only. It works great! We still have to call into nexus and when we call sometimes they ask us to go to the dock and of nobody is there we are good. In one case, Ganges, they asked that we wait 10 min until proceeding!

Hey Sandy- the ROAM app can be used to fulfill reporting requirements coming back into America only. It works great! We still have to call into nexus and when we call sometimes they ask us to go to the dock and of nobody is there we are good. In one case, Ganges, they asked that we wait 10 min until proceeding!

Oh - thanks for clarifying that! We do have Nexus cards so hopefully we won't be delayed entering Canada. Our first stop on our trip this summer will be Telegraph Harbour so we'll plan on checking in with customs outside of Bedwell. the ROAM app will be nice when we're checking back into the US though!

I could never understand our (Canadian Customs) need to make boaters that clear using Nexus go by a dock at a specific time "in case" an officer decides to show up. They rarely show up, and Nexus holders have been "precleared" during the extensive background checks both Border services have done on Nexus holders. Get caught cheating or lying, and lose Nexus for life, fines, property seized, maybe even jail. If Customs feels like conducting a full check, then ask the Nexus holder to report to the nearest office.

When my wife and I first got Nexus, it really expedited the clearance process for us, especially going south. Now however, if a Canadian Nexus holder is entering the US by boat for the first time in 11 months (or more), we have to physically attend at a full Custom's office to obtain a "cruising permit" (and pay for it). This process has taken away any real advantage to using Nexus for crossing when going south for Canadian Nexus holders (except if you cross often in the same calendar year).
So, clearing into Canada is not so bad :)

the ROAM app worked well for us last year. We caught them on the first day they went live with it in Washington so the CBP officer wasn't super good with it yet, but it worked out well.

As mentioned, it is only for returning to the State.

I wonder if you are giving customs enough warning. I usually call them when I am 45 min out. Are you by chance calling at or less than 30 min?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom