Twin Disc MG-5050A tran oil ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Counts

Hi

Based in Auckland, New Zealand and have just joined.

I see some previous coro on this subject but thought I would run it past you guys and see what turns up.

I am using Valvoline SAE 30 mono trans oil for my Twin Disc MG-5050A's.
I recently had a service and an oil change on engines and trans. Used boat on a marlin hunt thereafter which was for about 15 hours steaming and the trans oil is already showing signs of blackening.

So question that I have is there a better brand same grade oil to consider or perhaps go to a different SAE grade ?

Appreciate the feedback

Cheers

Hi

Based in Auckland, New Zealand and have just joined.

I see some previous coro on this subject but thought I would run it past you guys and see what turns up.

I am using Valvoline SAE 30 mono trans oil for my Twin Disc MG-5050A's.
I recently had a service and an oil change on engines and trans. Used boat on a marlin hunt thereafter which was for about 15 hours steaming and the trans oil is already showing signs of blackening.

So question that I have is there a better brand same grade oil to consider or perhaps go to a different SAE grade ?

Appreciate the feedback

Cheers
Are you confident oil didn't overheat? How long since the trannie oil coolers have been off for a thorough clean?

Just for comparison, we use a mono 40 in our mg516 and the oil is still as clear as the day it went in with 1000+ hours.

Last edited:
I should have added I have TD 507's and like Simi, my oil remains as-new in appearance when every 5 years, it gets changed for no good reason other than making me feel virtuous.

Counts,
I have the same tranny and I use Delo 40 wt. The manual states you can use either 30 or 40 wt. My oil always looks brand new! I would be surprised if your issue is caused by the "brand" of oil you are using.

Does it smell (burnt)?
Definitely check out your oil cooler.

30wt is fine. If it got dark quick, change it again.

The PO said "trans oil". I believe Twin Disc specifies motor oil. Perhaps that was lost in the translation from Aussie?

I also have a 5050 and the oil looks new when changed at hundreds of hours.

And I believe they call for CD oil, or diesel engine oil, not SD which is for gas/petrol engines.

Yep sure was as they were resoldered same time.......

Well that's good as it rules out the coolers as the source of the problem. Most TD's have a "suction strainer"...do yours? If so have you checked them for debris? This may give you some insight into the internal state of the gears. Also, how did you go about extracting the old oil before refilling with new? Did you measure the extracted volumes and compare to what the manual says is the full capacity ? What you extract should be greater than the volume given by the manual as that cannot include the volume in the cooler lines and exchanger. Perhaps you inadvertently left more old oil in place than intended ?

Well that's good as it rules out the coolers as the source of the problem. Most TD's have a "suction strainer"...do yours? If so have you checked them for debris? This may give you some insight into the internal state of the gears. Also, how did you go about extracting the old oil before refilling with new? Did you measure the extracted volumes and compare to what the manual says is the full capacity ? What you extract should be greater than the volume given by the manual as that cannot include the volume in the cooler lines and exchanger. Perhaps you inadvertently left more old oil in place than intended ?
I just checked the documentation for your gears here http://www.twindisc.com/products/mg-5050a/ and they do indeed have suction screens. Download the PDF shown at this link if you are not sure where to find them. Often tricky to see as hidden behind a bolt head...

Many thanks re the suction strainer idea - will investigate. Also noted re the oil removal - will check with the mechanic i used as this was done when i was off in the hills chasing some deer..... :))

Back
Top Bottom